S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

01 audi b5 s4 vs mitsubishi MR editon evo

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: 01 audi b5 s4 vs mitsubishi MR editon evo

I'm new here so I do have my "flame suit" on......... I'm looking at a 04 S4 and I'm curious what would beits chances in such a show down with an Evo or STI modded or otherwise.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:53 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: 1beastnstl

I'm new here so I do have my "flame suit" on......... I'm looking at a 04 S4 and I'm curious what would beits chances in such a show down with an Evo or STI modded or otherwise.
04 S4 not generally as quick as either Evo or STi - but really are different sorts of cars. 04 S4 is certainly in the ballpark speed wise and perhaps even handling wise - but its really more of a sport luxury type car and not a kid racer - you would in all likelyhood loose any "showdown" with an Evo or STi - but perhaps wouldn't be horribly embarrased.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:12 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Roadhawk

ORIGINAL: 1beastnstl

04 S4 not generally as quick as either Evo or STi - but really are different sorts of cars. 04 S4 is certainly in the ballpark speed wise and perhaps even handling wise - but its really more of a sport luxury type car and not a kid racer - you would in all likelyhood loose any "showdown" with an Evo or STi - but perhaps wouldn't be horribly embarrased.
Hawk......thanks for the comments. NOT a kid for sure but have a couple living at home so I know daddy will here the comparisons. I was curious after reading thru this post and others here concerning the B5 S4.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:30 AM
2nd Gear

beast - I think you would quite enjoy a B6 S4 with the V8 and nice tranny & handling - its really a sweet car - and the V8 rumble is unbeatable. But if you really wanted to take on your kids' Evos & STis I'd recommend (probably a GTO...but anyway) a B5 S4 and mod the hell out of it - Stage III all the way! Otherwsie the B6 or a B7 is probably a better car for you. And don't worry - it will be plenty fast enough. I imagine unless you are lining up next to an STi or an Evo no one would notice that your just a few ticks slower...

Old 03-01-2007, 01:48 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Roadhawk

beast - I think you would quite enjoy a B6 S4 with the V8 and nice tranny & handling - its really a sweet car - and the V8 rumble is unbeatable. But if you really wanted to take on your kids' Evos & STis I'd recommend (probably a GTO...but anyway) a B5 S4 and mod the hell out of it - Stage III all the way! Otherwsie the B6 or a B7 is probably a better car for you. And don't worry - it will be plenty fast enough. I imagine unless you are lining up next to an STi or an Evo no one would notice that your just a few ticks slower...
Thanks man. My boys are 9 and 4 so we have a bit of time before they line up next to dear old dad but for the life of me I can not figure out why they like cars (trucks and motorcycles so much) Dad owns and races a 02 Honda RC51 a streetable82 Suzuki GS1100 and an assortment of others cars and trucks modified over the years have been in their sights or they have been tossed in and out of back seats. I'm leaning towards the B6 or B7 for my fun and being able to haul the family when needed......

Old 03-01-2007, 02:38 AM
2nd Gear

Yeah - my boys are 13 and 10. Even fairly young they would both urge me to "go faster dad" ...that is until I got my S4 (and then went Stage III with it!)...so now I sometimes hear - "Dad - can you slow down just a bit" or "Dad - I think your going a little too fast" etc...(not that I'm actually driving any faster...just getting there [up to speed] qucker) though I still do get a few -"Dad - can we burn that guy" etc (ussually if its a Porsche or a Corvette or an obvioulsy fast car)...my youngest really loves the Mustang - not sure if its just the cool factor of it being old or if its just the convertable aspect or both. My oldest still wants me to get my old (supercharged) MR2 back (I sold it to a neighbor)...I'm sure he can remember only little (but yeah - what a great driving car)...but he just like smaller cars (and quick!)...anyway...best of luck on the S4...if you have the cash to spend you may want to consider a new RS4 (but it is quite a bit more...)

Old 03-01-2007, 03:07 PM
1st Gear

my good friends got a white MR with the upgraded greddy fromount bov intake and exhuast. Its deffinitly quick but i think it would be a good race if ur at least stage 2+ That car is just so damn light its unfair . I think unless the evo is heavily modded a stage 3+ s4 could take down an evo imo. cuz me and my friend have gone for a few runs and he doesnt come close.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:12 PM
2nd Gear

Hey all,

I too am pretty new to the board, so, flame away!

Anyway, I have an 01 S4 and it's no big secret that an EVO is going to be faster, especially if it's been modded. However, I've read a lot of bad reports on Mitsubishi reliability and longevity. The EVO and the STi may be faster cars than the S4 stock, but I'll take the added reliability that you get with an Audi and drive an extra few miles without having to perform any major services.

Here comes the flaming....

I am totally into German cars and I love my S4, wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe an RS6 or new RS4). But...for the amount of money that you can put into buying an EVO/STi and the additional coin you can spend putting into mods, go buy a used Corvette. It will SPANK either of the two...even on it's worst day at the track. Mods? Yeah, it's American...mods are cheap as ****. Handling? Yeah, totally superior to either of the two again (granted it's rwd so if you do lose it on a corner, you're probably not going to be able to recover whereas the AWD on the others is much more forgiving, even for the crappiest drivers). The corvette has a higher sticker price, but there are lots of used C6s out there that are pretty reasonably priced. And if you have the money, get a Z06. You'd have to put an assload of money into an EVO or an STi to keep up with a Z06, especially if it's been modded. And if you're super loaded, send it to Lingenfelter engineering for a few weeks. There are very few street-legal cars that can keep up with a vette that's been tweaked by lingenfelter.

Alright, may the flame fest begin....

Old 03-29-2007, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

Best shifting? Really? I'm not attacking, but my buddy and I took an 06 MR out and he hammered the shifter, like he has in his STi before with no trouble, and the Evo sounded like it was going to fall apart.
ORIGINAL: 2k S4

ORIGINAL: vnv727

do there tranny fall out at 60k miles...or is that more of a getting beat on by kids thing....im serious, probably like the s4 turbo bit id bet
That's mostly the 03's that have trans problems. It seams to be from people who launch the car a lot.
Don't let it warm up, or change the fluid. IMHO, it's one of the best shifting cars out there.
The weak link seams to be the clutch, they don't last to long.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:31 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: meatbiscuit

Hey all,

I too am pretty new to the board, so, flame away!

Anyway, I have an 01 S4 and it's no big secret that an EVO is going to be faster, especially if it's been modded. However, I've read a lot of bad reports on Mitsubishi reliability and longevity. The EVO and the STi may be faster cars than the S4 stock, but I'll take the added reliability that you get with an Audi and drive an extra few miles without having to perform any major services.

Here comes the flaming....

I am totally into German cars and I love my S4, wouldn't trade it for anything (except maybe an RS6 or new RS4). But...for the amount of money that you can put into buying an EVO/STi and the additional coin you can spend putting into mods, go buy a used Corvette. It will SPANK either of the two...even on it's worst day at the track. Mods? Yeah, it's American...mods are cheap as ****. Handling? Yeah, totally superior to either of the two again (granted it's rwd so if you do lose it on a corner, you're probably not going to be able to recover whereas the AWD on the others is much more forgiving, even for the crappiest drivers). The corvette has a higher sticker price, but there are lots of used C6s out there that are pretty reasonably priced. And if you have the money, get a Z06. You'd have to put an assload of money into an EVO or an STi to keep up with a Z06, especially if it's been modded. And if you're super loaded, send it to Lingenfelter engineering for a few weeks. There are very few street-legal cars that can keep up with a vette that's been tweaked by lingenfelter.

Alright, may the flame fest begin....
I deffinatley see where you coming form here meat biscuit but you goota think of the whole situation.... Not many people will be able to handle the 1500 monthly payment on a newer C6 corvette or Z06 as apposed to have a 500 a month payment on a evo/Sti and then when u save up extra money to buy your parts... In any racing im still taking a STI-Evo-or S4 against a normal C6 corvette even tho they might be slightly slower. but with minimal $$$ a C6 vetter would get walked pretty hard. Now on the other hand if it was a Z06, i might take it just because of the raw power aspect.
And i TOTALY call SHENANIGANS on the C6's having better handling then the previously mentions AWD cars. After seeing them drive on race tracks and after the follow ups on car and driver and top gear like shows. I came to my own opinion of the car still having average handling but in the case of the Z06 it just was soo much power that if your a good driver you can just power over and corner and hang on... I know i did watch the top gear where the STIG took the Z06 around the track for liek the 11th fastest car ever in top gear history but to call it better handling i dont think thats the case, i think the insane power out of the box just allows for huge room for you to recover in any corner.

Quick Reply: 01 audi b5 s4 vs mitsubishi MR editon evo