S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

01 audi b5 s4 vs mitsubishi MR editon evo

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 02:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: 01 audi b5 s4 vs mitsubishi MR editon evo

Still. there are no EVO's here. WRX STI's two of them. But still just wondering the price of parts I work at an audi/Porsche garage and could do the upgrade myself.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: CamoA6

Still. there are no EVO's here. WRX STI's two of them. But still just wondering the price of parts I work at an audi/Porsche garage and could do the upgrade myself.
pretty sure you could find a set for $2000 and install them yourself .....your not gonna like it when the evo's hit your city..im not to happy bout it ..they are qucik cars.......

what do you guys think about the STI VS. S4 ????

Old 01-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Site Moderator

Sti and EVo are twins basically... Just the newer evos and even older ones somehwat take better to mods... basically teh same thing though.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:58 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: mattr7786

your gonna need ALOT more then just the k04's to beat an evo...... especially the MR edition.....
The MR has the same engine & same HP, the difference is interior trim, stock Bilstien shocks, alm alloy roof, and
a few chassis braces. The biggest thing is the 6sp vs the 5sp on all the other EVO's.

Original: Sooks
Sti and EVo are twins basically... Just the newer evos and even older ones somehwat take better to mods... basically teh same thing though.
No, there completely different cars. It's the same as saying the S4 is the same as one of them.
The STI is a 2.5l boxer engine, has much softer suspension, has higher rated HP & torque, has cruise control, and other "civilized" options.
It also doesn't have the user selectable center diff, and uses a completely different AWD setup. Lastly, the STI doesn't have any LSD's the EVO has front & rear.

The STI mods also cost more $$ & don't do as much as the EVO, you don't see a lot of 400awhp STI's

Old 01-10-2007, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 2k S4
...My car hits about 24lbs of boost, & tapers to 21psi till redline. On the Dyno it put down 288hp & 290ftlbs.
Are those numbers at the wheels?

ORIGINAL: 2k S4 ...On the FW both cars in top gear, the EVO will smoke the S4. The torque hits really hard around 3000rpms
I don't know about "smoke" an S4. I think Sooks is right, in that the Audi's have good gearing up top. They are made for the Autobaun, and the Evos and STI's are designed for the short track / rally. It's a fact, and it's tough to have the best of both worlds. I can't tell you how many HW battles I have won in my modded 1.8t GTi, where I would've gotten smoked at the line (Mustang GT's, 350Z's, SRT-4's, Type R's). That car had excellent gearing at HW speed (and 2nd gear, of course). That car was a fat little bastard too, but torquey as *****!

ORIGINAL: 2k S4
...It's putting down the HP @ the wheels that the engine is rated for, that's pump gas. On that Dyno the S4 did 260hp.
Again, at the crank or the wheels? You should be about 340-ish at the crank with your mods... Right?

On a side note: I have feeling the multiplier for an Evo or Sti is a lot lower than the S4, meaning the awd and transmissions are a lot more efficient than the Audi. We probably make more HP & TQ (obviously because of the + 2-cyl and +1-turbo), but a lot of it is lost because of the nature of the vehicle (they're saloons, not out-of-the-box-track-cars). Again, there is the obvious weight discrepecy which can make all the difference in the world.

My $0.02

Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 PM
1st Gear

I believe sooks meant that stock to stock, STi and EvoMr are very close in performance in any catagory, 0-60, QM, track .. they are one of the closest pairs of any other two cars .. and besides with the extra $2,000 you save from buying an STi, you could walk a stock MR.. ALL while having a nice air conditioned car listening to some nice tunes ..

2006 EVO MR MSRP: $35,189
2006 SUBARU WRX STI MSRP: $33,495

Stock vs Stock between EVO and STi, it really just comes down to the driver.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 01-10-2007, 10:17 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: ZQ8GMC
I don't know about "smoke" an S4. I think Sooks is right, in that the Audi's have good gearing up top. They are made for the Autobaun, and the Evos and STI's are designed for the short track / rally. It's a fact, and it's tough to have the best of both worlds. I can't tell you how many HW battles I have won in my modded 1.8t GTi, where I would've gotten smoked at the line (Mustang GT's, 350Z's, SRT-4's, Type R's). That car had excellent gearing at HW speed (and 2nd gear, of course). That car was a fat little bastard too, but torquey as *****!
Well I should have stated the MPH (my bad), around 60mph, in top gear, the EVO has massive acceleration. Much more so then the S4 at the same speed in top gear. The EVO does tend to fall a bit flat after 100mph. That's where the S4 starts to get going. Yes, it will leave it behind. The EVO spools a lot faster then the S4.

ORIGINAL: ZQ8GMC
Again, at the crank or the wheels? You should be about 340-ish at the crank with your mods... Right?
Of course @ the wheels, that's all that matters. The EVO did 288, my S4 did 260, both at the wheels.

On a side note: I have feeling the multiplier for an Evo or Sti is a lot lower than the S4, meaning the awd and transmissions are a lot more efficient than the Audi. We probably make more HP & TQ (obviously because of the + 2-cyl and +1-turbo), but a lot of it is lost because of the nature of the vehicle (they're saloons, not out-of-the-box-track-cars). Again, there is the obvious weight discrepecy which can make all the difference in the world.
Yes, I agree that the newer cars will have less drive train loss. But that really means nothing. It's all about power at the wheels. That's what makes the car go.
As far as the torque goes, the EVO has a little bit more, but it's more peaky, comes on hard around 3000rpm's but falls off much faster then the S4. But before 3000rpm's the EVO has nothing a Honda will beat it.

You can argue the extra cylinders & turbo. But it goes the other way. There is more cylinder to fill, longer for the charge to travel, and more loss due to splitting the flow. The S4 is loosing 1 cylinder per turbo from the EVO/STI. To flow the bigger engine it needs more turbo. I do know the flow & size of the EVO's turbo is bigger then the S4's. The other thing is the S4 is a oversquare engine, so it's more about torque, and runs out of breath up top. While the EVO is undersquare, it likes RPM's

Yes, the EVO/STI is much more of a track car. That's why I have one. But people will always compare them to the S4 & want to know if they can take them. The IMHO, the EVO is MUCH more of a drivers car, and is more fun then the S4. The S4 is much more fun in a straight line, & for comfort.

Old 01-11-2007, 01:32 AM
2nd Gear

i love my audi...

Old 01-11-2007, 01:48 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Hano

i love my audi...
im definitely [sm=guilty.gif] of the same thing...

Old 01-11-2007, 02:21 AM
1st Gear

Excellent points 2k S4. I can't argue too much about the capability of the Evo's, considering you have both. However, you do have a tip-tronicS4 so I think you're a little deprived of some "fun" right there ; )

Without completely beatinga dead horse, the bottom line is this: People do try to drop these two vehicles into the same **** fight, when they're not in the same category nor fairly comparable. The S4 will likely lose 9 times out of 10 (unless heavily modified) simply because of it's inherint design. It's a 4-door luxury performance sedan; The Evo (and STI for that matter) isa 4-door race-ready sport compact.

Quick Reply: 01 audi b5 s4 vs mitsubishi MR editon evo