S Car Model Line Audi S4, Audi S6, and Audi S8..Audi's track-ready touch on each of the popular sedans

0-60

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 08:34 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 0-60

Well good luck with everything. Does anyone know what the average 0-60 for a stage 2 s4 would b?

Old 04-17-2006, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

stage 2 should be 4.8, stage 2+ 4.6, give or take a tenth

Old 04-19-2006, 07:42 PM
1st Gear

Whats the difference mod wise between stage 2 and stage 2+

Old 04-19-2006, 09:58 PM
2nd Gear

stage 2+, add downpipes to stage 2 (or piggies)

Old 04-20-2006, 01:31 PM

It can take some talent to drive an automatic if you know what you are doing. By just smashing the gas pedal I got just under 6 seconds with my stock '00 S4, and can get even lower than that with a little brake work at the start off. Just hold down the brake with your left foot and then slowy push to gas pedal to get your rpms up to as high as you can and them just let go of the brake will smashing the gas. Give it a try, and Leto if you can't get under 6 sec. in your S4 somethings wrong.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:52 PM
1st Gear

You have to think, Audi probably designed thier automatic for smoothness as well. Afterall, it is also a luxury car which I think we all take for granted at times. If your worried about straight line performance look into getting valve bodies and a new torque converter. It's a relatively cheap option besides rebuilding the whole trans.

p.s. - That car will only stay stock for a short time. Take it from me, 2 years ago I bought a 2000 s4 with the intent of getting a chip only.......didn't happen.

Old 04-20-2006, 02:57 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kevinaneilson

It can take some talent to drive an automatic if you know what you are doing. By just smashing the gas pedal I got just under 6 seconds with my stock '00 S4, and can get even lower than that with a little brake work at the start off. Just hold down the brake with your left foot and then slowy push to gas pedal to get your rpms up to as high as you can and them just let go of the brake will smashing the gas. Give it a try, and Leto if you can't get under 6 sec. in your S4 somethings wrong.
Thanks for bringing the thread back on topic I really don't want to do a neutral-drop, that's just ruining the automatic tranny, but I'll try a little braking. I also forgot to turn off ESP, not sure if that would inhibit some power.

I wonder, would it be useful to change the shift-point of the 1-2 shift by switching to "tiptronic" mode? I noticed that just flooring it redlines the engine in 1st way past the optimal torque point. I wonder what the correct "equal-torque" shiftpoint is for 1-2. And that shift is soooo smooth, I'd expected that in kickdown mode the DSP tranny would select a really hard shift.

Kevin, what is your experience with respect to shiftpoint and shift "hardness" when you were flooring your stock '00 as you described ?

Old 04-20-2006, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for bringing the thread back on topic
The actual problem probably isn't how you shift the automatic transmission. The one second disparity you are experiencing in your 0-60 time is most likely performance related and not related to your shifting. I think you need to broaden the scope of your investigation. Also, take your car to a shop that has a VAG-COM. See how your trans is coded. I think the best way to code your trans is 00022, or 00032. I think you will notice a definate difference in your performance. The allroad trans and s4 trans are pretty much the same if not identical. (I have a 2000 s4 tip coded 00032) Enjoy the read -

Codes for '02 allroad 2.7T Tiptronic with Drive and Sport modes, and Tip steering wheel controls:

01002 = Stock coding; live steering wheel Tiptronic controls in Tip mode only; new Tip strategy, DSP active.

00002 = Live steering wheel Tiptronic controls in D, S or Tip mode; new Tip strategy, DSP active.

01012 = Live steering wheel Tiptronic controls in Tip mode only; new Tip strategy, DSP inactive.

00012 = Live steering wheel Tiptronic controls in D, S or Tip mode; new Tip strategy, DSP inactive.

01022 = Live steering wheel Tiptronic controls in Tip mode only; old Tip strategy, DSP active.

00022 = Live steering wheel Tiptronic controls in D, S or Tip mode; old Tip strategy, DSP active.

01032 = Live steering wheel Tiptronic controls in Tip mode only; old Tip strategy, DSP inactive.

00032 = Live steering wheel Tiptronic controls in D, S or Tip mode; old Tip strategy, DSP inactive.

-- New Tiptronic strategy is: "when the shifter is in the Tiptronic gate, the transmission will automatically shift up or down based on preset RPMs and throttle position values."

-- Old Tiptronic strategy is: "when the shifter is in the Tiptronic gate, the transmission will hold gears to RPM redline. When the car is braked to a stop, first gear will automatically be selected."

According to Audi, "the Dynamic Shift Program (DPS) automatically recognizes the car's driving characteristics and selects its shift strategy to the prevailing conditions. DSP adjusts shift points continuously."

Old 04-21-2006, 04:08 PM
1st Gear

1. Why would you want the "new" tip style? It looks like the new style just means automatic shifting, which negates the whole idea of tip.
2. How does the tranny react if you disable DSP?

Old 04-21-2006, 06:22 PM
1st Gear

1. The only real difference is that "new style" will shift you out of first gear at low rpms (which I found annoying because I want to decide when to shift) and the "old style" will hold you in first until you shift or bounce it off the redline. The "old style" is more sporty and I enjoy it much more that where it was before.

2. I really didn't feel any notable difference in the DSP not being active. If you want you can code it 00022 and will be able to hold first and still have the DSP active.

A suggetion though - Look into a tip chip, valve bodies, and a torque converter (Check this link for valve bodies and tc.) if your looking to improve your accelleration times out of the hole. Also, most audi tuners with a VAG-COM will recode it for free. If not - they are taking advantage of you.