RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

Wider tires and Carbon Rotors on an RS4

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:40 PM
1st Gear
Default Wider tires and Carbon Rotors on an RS4

Howdy Folks,

Im thinking about putting a set of 20's and Carbon Rotors/pads on my car.
How wide a tire can I run? Id like to run 275s if i can get them to fit. Anyone already done this?
Arethe Porsche rotors and pads a straight swap? It looks like it.

Thanks for the input,

Dcel

Old 10-25-2007, 01:29 AM
Default RE: Wider tires and Carbon Rotors on an RS4

If you space out your wheels you might even be lucky to go with 305's but I could never be sure and can I ask you why you would want the 20'? I run original size tires on mine but I have nice Honda-tuner looking wheels at 17' a piece, matte black I think it looks nice.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 PM
1st Gear

b7misanors4,
I like the way a 20 inch wheel scales the car (makes it look smaller) and the contrast of a black wheel on a silver car.
AlsoI think the car needs more rubber on the ground. 305's would be cool, i cant see it happening.

Dcel

Old 10-29-2007, 08:17 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: DCEL

Howdy Folks,

Im thinking about putting a set of 20's and Carbon Rotors/pads on my car.
How wide a tire can I run? Id like to run 275s if i can get them to fit. Anyone already done this?
Arethe Porsche rotors and pads a straight swap? It looks like it.

Thanks for the input,

Dcel
D, are you just looking to slap some bling on your performance auto, or is there a purpose to your swap? A l'il googling could easily answer your rotor question. 1st, do you have ANY idea what the bolt-circle is on your vehicle? What about the bolt-circle from the donor-car (well, car-model, since I'm relatively sure you;re gonna go straight to the Porsche dealer for your parts)? Hava clue about the diameter of the rotors on your vehicle? What about the donor? If they aren't EXACTLY the same you DO know you'll need to re-locate the calipers, right?!?!? If they aren't the same (or damn close to the same) depth you may have to change your calipers, too! Will the Porsche calipers straight-swat (i.e. bolt directly) to the stock location on YOUR vehicle? How the **** should *I* know?!?! It's YOUR car, do the research!

Give a Man a fish (or, in this case, an answer)
TEACH a Man TO fish (for his OWN answers)

Or, are you simply after the *bling*-factor of big, w - i - d - e w - h - e - e - l - s & something that has a Porsche-logo on it?

Old 10-29-2007, 08:16 PM
1st Gear

AWDaholic,

Wow! Did my questions somehow offend you?
I wasn’t aware thatI needed to go into a dissertation about why I wanted to make modifications.
I can however comment on your specific statements.
1) I wouldn’t call it “BLING†(I envision 24†chrome hoops on a Cutlass Supreme when I hear that term) But as I stated in the post, I do like the look of a (little) bigger, black wheel.
Even with my limited seat time, my car feels like it needs a more rubber on the ground. The 255’s seem to slide with little effort. I think 275’s would add some grip.
2) With regard to the Carbon Rotor/pads. It was simply a question. If you don’t have the answer, IT’S OK! You’re not being graded. Try to remain calm.
Interestingly enough, I used to be the Quality Manager at Wilwood Engineering (A high performance disc brake manufacturer in So-cal) and as a side thing, I fabricate custom brake applications. I’ve done Vipers, old and new Corvettes, Mustangs, Import stuff, etc. (I am still a Wilwood dealer in anyone needs parts.) As a result, I have a fairly complete understanding of the process.
So really I wasn’t looking for you to dissect the intricacies of changing to Carbon parts.
Primarily, I was looking for someone (who hasn’t had too much REDBULL) to say was “Yea, that is a common swap, the Porsche parts bolt on†or “No way! they are completely different, everything has to be custom.†Or if it hasn’t been tried, a collective “we don’t knowâ€.
For me, the best reason for changing to a Carbon rotor/pad is rotating mass. The iron rotors have no problem absorbing and shedding the heat generated by an RS4.
But the weight has a detrimental effect on acceleration. As the cars are torque challenged to begin with, removing 15-20 lbs of rotating weight will be noticeable.
But I digress.
Your response has neither given me nor taught me to fish. More correctly you have given me the bird and quite pointedly, taught me NOT to ask questions.

So that we are clear, if I want something that says “Porsche†on it. It won’t be brake part.

Jason

Old 10-29-2007, 08:49 PM
Senior Administrator

DAMN, I eHat when I open my mouf and insert my foot. On the plus side, I did step in some mayo, today, so the taste wasn't all THAT bad, FWIW.

But, phoreel-phoreel, if you got ALL THAT expereeeeince behind you, why you askin? I'd think you'd've had the resources readily available to you. By "import-stuff" I'm assuming Nipponese? I'm guessing yes, or else the "intricacies" wouldn't have been "foreign" to you.

But, since you apparently have not yet hit the google button I'll help, no, it isn't always astraight swap. Again, depending on teh donor application, you may need an adaptor bracket to rotate the attachment point the 90deg some swaps need to fit Porsche to Audi. Verstahts du? But, since you've "engineered" your own BBK's, I'm guessing fabbing up something like that would besehr bissen kuche, nein? Check mit der GutAchter, erste, mein fruende. I'd also ehat to see a pretty RS all bent around a jersey-wall due to ill-thought-out engineering.

Oh, and, as far as the "weight" goes, you'd just be swapping one set of un-sprung weight for another, going BIG on the wheels, but *you* already know that, right?

My apologies for assuming you're some teen-aged doof with more money than brains. You're obviously NOT teen-aged.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Administrator

Oh, oh, oh, also, since we're both in panties-inna-bunch mode..., wider wheels, even when "spaced" appropriately, can have a deleterious effect on camber, bearing-life, and other unintended "handling" side-effects... But, you knew that, TOO, dintCha? And, you also knew that a tape measure, pencil, paper and/or a calculator would have answered all your questions...

But *I'M* wrong for assuming you dint know WTF you were talking about.

My BAD!

Old 11-03-2007, 08:24 PM

I'm brand new here today, and because of the arrogance of TEH MODERATOR, I will never come back here again............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................YO U AREA DOUSCHE BRAGGIN ***, except to readthecomments of folks who agree with me!I hope this doesn't get erased by you Mr. AWD

Rueb

Old 11-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Senior Administrator

I have no problem leaving comments up. Children who feel the need to resort to name calling ARE amusing, to me, Rueb. If I'm ever in SoCal I'll swing by and point & laugh at you directly, OK?

edyt to add: It occurs to me that many of you SoCal peeoples are waaaaay toooooo sensitive. 'Samatter? Not enough hugs? Grow up. At least DCEL didn't resort to name calling. For that he is to be respected. What are you, SIX? Does Mommy KNOW you stole her lipstick to play grown up? Douschbag?!?!? I know you are, but what am I?

DCEL, if you have any genuine grief with anything I've posted, MAN UP and PM me, directly.

To the child who apparently snuck onto the interwebs without parental permission, put the candy down and back away from the pretty toy. Go to your room, NOW, and think about what you have done!

Anybody ELSE have a problem, PM me. I've been here for over two years. I'm KNOWN on these boards. I'm not hiding OR backing down from ANYBODY!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:25 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Ruebsteak

I'm brand new here today, and because of the arrogance of TEH MODERATOR, I will never come back here again............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................................YO U AREA DOUSCHE BRAGGIN ***, except to readthecomments of folks who agree with me!I hope this doesn't get erased by you Mr. AWD

Rueb
First off, why the hell are you even getting offended? This has nothing to do with you. DCEL decided to get smart-assed with someone who Gold-Medalled inSmart-Assing. Anything relating to the arrogance of one or both of them is between them.

Even with my limited seat time, my car feels like it needs a more rubber on the ground. The 255’s seem to slide with little effort. I think 275’s would add some grip.
And any grip added by installing tires that are 20 millimeters wider would be instantly negated by adding 2-4 inches of wheel diameter and an extra 10-30 pounds or rotating mass (depending of course on the wheels you are replacing and with what you are replacing them).

Interestingly enough, I used to be the Quality Manager at Wilwood Engineering (A high performance disc brake manufacturer in So-cal) and as a side thing, I fabricate custom brake applications. I’ve done Vipers, old and new Corvettes, Mustangs, Import stuff, etc. (I am still a Wilwood dealer in anyone needs parts.) As a result, I have a fairly complete understanding of the process
So your fairly complete understanding of the process should allow you the knowledge that carbon rotors are not only irritating on street cars but at times can be downright unsafe since carbon rotors have extremely limited braking power when cold and only function properly when they stay heated from use. The Porsches that have carbon rotors also have programming in the computer that pulses the brakes to keep the rotors at optimal temps for performance braking. At least, that's how it was last time I checked, they may have made some breakthrough since then, but I doubt it. Since your Audi doesn't have that pulse programming, your first emergency stop on the highway after a long period of brake inactivity will probably also be your last.

For me, the best reason for changing to a Carbon rotor/pad is rotating mass.
What, reduce brake mass to partially offset the ridiculous added mass of some 20s? That makes sense.

Quick Reply: Wider tires and Carbon Rotors on an RS4