RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

Thinking about trading my SL55 for an RS4 ... Should I??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 11:51 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Thinking about trading my SL55 for an RS4 ... Should I??

ORIGINAL: pturbo

Ok, let's back up so I can better understand what you are looking for. Are you looking for a car that holds more than 2 people? Do you want to maximize 1/4 mile times or have fun track days on road courses? What is your budget? Does the car have to remain a street car/daily driver or are you ready to go full race? Would you be willing to change out parts between registration/emissions testing? Are you wanting to stay German?

If the RS4 isn't quick enough for you, then we need to look at other options - including what else can be done to your current Benz.
Well, I would like to have an AWD for traction off the line, as well as in the rain ... transmission can be auto or manual.
I would like to be in the very low 12's or high 11's on the 1/4 and still be able to have fun on autox courses (not meaning I want to win, just be able to keep up ... the SL does it well.)
I am up for mods ... though gutting the inside isn't my style, some subtle weight reduction and engine performance mods are fine.
Yes, I would be willing to change parts out between emission testing.
Yes, I want to stay Bavarian I don't want American.

The brands I would consider: BMW, Mercedes, Audi

I also want a later model car w/ full options (NAV, SIRIUS, PARKTRONIC) and if available keyless go.

Looking at these requirements I think I am basically listing everything that a twin turbo mercedes could do, apart from the AWD ... I really wish Merc would come out with AWD.

How sure are you that a turbo for the RS4 will be produced? $7000 is just fine for such a kit ... I would do <$10,000 for a reliable turbo kit.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:41 AM
1st Gear

Im not 100% sure, but many companies are just now offering SC kits for the B6/B7 4.2 V8 S4s, which is, more or less, the same basic engine they started with when making the RS4, so......it only makes sense that with a little more R&D those same companies would have the SC kits for the RS4 at some point. Now, the $7000 is an educated guess based on S4 entry level kits....the RS4 might be more by a little or a lot, who knows.

doesnt the RS4 run in the 12's already? I dont think it would be TOO hard to get it in the 11's...but then again i concern myself with lap times more than 60' times so.... i really wouldnt know

Old 01-03-2007, 02:19 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: GoFast

The SL500 isn't that quick ... my SL55 is 442RWHP w/ 472TQ and I run the 1/4 mile in 12.2 ... thats pretty quick.
sounds like you want straight line speed.

Get an s4, new turbo kit new everything. It will be faster than 12.2.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:04 AM
1st Gear

ya man i agree with you a b5 s4 would be a perfect car for you man just put some $ in it that you wouldve bought a supercar like the m5,rs4,amg and get a crazy fast s4 like this guy lol his car is crazy fast and nice...but i never saw his 1/4 mile times but his track times are amazing!

Old 01-03-2007, 05:44 AM

Seems like he wants that "baller" appeal. The B5 S4 isn't really going to give you that. BUT with new turbos (k04) and other goodies the s4 will eat your sl55 alive. A lot of people on this forum as well as audizine, run the APR kit and they are pushing mid to low 11's.

Also the fastest stock turbo (k03) is now running low 12's (12.2).

You want a littleamerican blingand a lot of speed get yourself a new Z06, and put some new pipes on it. Interior isn't as nice, but hey...its not easy running 11's with tv's in the headrests and everything that an m5 or rs4 has. You take some, you leave some.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:16 PM
4th Gear

GoFast - After reading your last post, it sounds like the RS4 is the perfect car for you. It is a very quick car with amazing handling and all of those interior goodies that you like. How often are you going to get to drive it at even half of it's potential anyway for more than 15-25sec anyway? If you do track the car often and use more of it's potential, then I think you will be having a great time.

I don't know about the chances of turbo kits and superchargers for the RS4 in the future. Anything is possible with money. MTM has a supercharger for the 4.2 for $12,000(?) right now. I don't know if they claim that it works for the RS4 as well simply because it is based on the same engine, but I doubt it.You will compromise reliablity with either turbos or SC no matter what. My guess would be that after some company figures out how to work with the existing compression ratio, they will write some code and build a kit. There are probably some other issues to work out as well. The fact that the RS4 is already considered very quick and will be built in such limited numbers compared to other cars(like an A4) - that will also work against huge after market support. Those companies can't make their money back if they only sell 200 kits or something, so you may have to go custom. You better have a tight relationship with your Audi mechanic.

What performance mods do you have on your Merc? If you don't want to swap cars unless you will see big gains, maybe you should put some money intoyour 500until you have shaved another second off your runs. Just a thought.