RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

Thinking about trading my SL55 for an RS4 ... Should I??

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 02:36 AM
1st Gear
Default Thinking about trading my SL55 for an RS4 ... Should I??

So, a 2007 Black/Black is at my local Audi dealership ... just came in today.
I looked at up some specs ... the RS4 weighs almost 4000lbs and is spec'ed at 0-60mph in 4.8 seconds (SLOW), and I read some posts here that it does the 1/4 in 13.0-13.2 (SLOW) ...

So basically, I know that stock it is slow ... but what about availability of aftermarket forced induction modifications?
Is there a turbo kit available for it yet? If so, what type of gains are we talking about and for how much $$$?

I would be trading in my SL55 for it, but only if it made financial sense to make it faster than my SL55; as fast or almost as fast wouldn't cut it.
Additionally, I don't want to hear the "its fast in the corners" arguement ... I just recently sold my 2004 M3 so I know all about fast in the corners, but slow in the straights and I just don't like it. I want fast in both.

I think my Jeep SRT-8 could outrun a stock RS4.

Also, I just got done reading a bunch of threads about how Audi service blows ... I'm unsure of what I'd receive with my local dealer but it doesnt leave a good taste in my mouth.

So although I really like the 420HP w/ AWD and Manual transmission, the excessive weight of the car thus slowing it down really turns me off the point of not wanting it unless there was a turbo-kit that brought it up to atleast 480-500 AWHP. (not to the crank, to the wheels)

Anyone got some info for me?

Old 12-31-2006, 12:58 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Thinking about trading my SL55 for an RS4 ... Should I??

I went to see the '07 at my local dealership ... I'd be all for it, if it was faster
Why would Audi make a $74k car and have it be so slow?

Old 12-31-2006, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

well, first thing that came to mind was, I think you are looking at the wrong car! If I read it on paper that its "SLOW", then personally I would had moved on by now rather than try and figure out how to make a better dragster out of a car designed from day one for the corners, like your M3. Audi put AWD on it mainly for one reason, better traction around the corners, not better 60' times. Granted, many do drag race Audis, they use the B5 platform that is lighter and already Turbo charged from Audi thus making it easier and cheaper to just upgrade and moddify. The RS4 being a NA V8 cramed into such a small engine bay is difficult to Turbo or supercharge, as all S4 owners will tell you after 3 years of making due with just exhaust, chip anf intake mods to gains some 60HP extra.
Do they make a SC or Turbo for it? they will, they do for the S4, but they are VERY expensive. My guess is you will be looking at about $7k in the low end when they do become available.
Your SRT8 MIGHT be faster, dont know, but so are a lot of things that go fast straight. The trick to me has always been balancing HP with handling, in which case the RS4 is a prime example of what can be achieved in a 4 dr sports car that does a lot of thing right, not just a couple. I would get the RS4 and keep SRT for the straight track, but thats just me dreaming.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:51 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: GoFast

I know all about fast in the corners, but slow in the straights and I just don't like it. I want fast in both.
Then why are you looking at a 4dr luxury sedan? Why not get a 2dr sports car?

There are trade offs with every car. It sounds like you don't want to make the trade offs that come with owning an RS4. Buy a used Cayman and put a supercharger on it, do a few suspension mods and it will outrun your current cars in every curve and straight. That's one idea anyway. There are a lot of other options that would kill an SL55 on the track.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:37 PM
1st Gear

because i shouldn't have to trade off. There are other faster 4 door luxury sedans but not with AWD or 6spd which are both 'tre cool'.
Has anyone even cracked the ECU code for the 2006+ RS4 yet?

Old 01-01-2007, 03:47 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: GoFast

because i shouldn't have to trade off.
Really?The laws of motion apply equally to everyone, so you may be out of luck. Speed on the track is about weight, torque and a few other set up items. If you buy a luxury sedan, by it's very nature it cannot compete with many other cars made more with the track in mind. How much the car cost has nothing to do with it.

There are other faster 4 door luxury sedans but not with AWD or 6spd which are both 'tre cool'.
Like the M5? The Cayman I described above would smoke it on a road course. And not just the Cayman, but a lot of other cars too. Why? Because the M5 is a heavy 4dr sedan. It's still fast as hell and all that, but it can't compete with modified sport coupes with the same type of driver at the wheel.

Has anyone even cracked the ECU code for the 2006+ RS4 yet?
Since the RS4 is non-aspirated, changing the ECU alone probably offers minimal power gains. If you wanted to change some of the other engine internals, I'm sure that there are some set ups used in DTM racing that get more power out of that engine. Could be a pain for a daily driver though.

Old 01-01-2007, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Right, but they are going to need to crack the ECU before they can even offer a turbo kit.
Getting a properly tuned ECU to match the turbo's is usually the main difficulty as that is the leading cause of ENGINEBOOM.

Old 01-01-2007, 09:55 PM
4th Gear

Ok, let's back up so I can better understand what you are looking for. Are you looking for a car that holds more than 2 people? Do you want to maximize 1/4 mile times or have fun track days on road courses? What is your budget? Does the car have to remain a street car/daily driver or are you ready to go full race? Would you be willing to change out parts between registration/emissions testing? Are you wanting to stay German?

If the RS4 isn't quick enough for you, then we need to look at other options - including what else can be done to your current Benz.

Old 01-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 01-02-2007, 11:44 PM
1st Gear

The SL500 isn't that quick ... my SL55 is 442RWHP w/ 472TQ and I run the 1/4 mile in 12.2 ... thats pretty quick.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading my SL55 for an RS4 ... Should I??