RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

RS4 Driveway Ground Clearence Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 04:08 PM
1st Gear
Default RS4 Driveway Ground Clearence Problem

I will be taking delivey of an 2007 RS4 in mid July (hopefully sooner), I have tried to get an S4 into my driveway/garage and the S4 bottoms out. I have the Audi specs for the 2007RS4 Sedan : Ground Clearence 3.7", Overall length 180.7". I have built a "jig"to represent these mesurments so that when getting bids from concreate contractors the contractors will have accurate information when forming the new driveway so that the RS4 does not bottom out or scrape the airdam. However I am not able to find accurate mesurments from centerline of the front wheelbase to the front of the airdam, nor measurements from the centerline of the rear wheelbase to the rear of the car. Due to the slope of my driveway and the expense to have it replaced so that I am able to get the RS4 into my garage, I need accurate information. I am also interested in the airdam ground clearence. Is it the same groundclearence as what Audi states for the RS4 (3.7") or is it higher or lower.
I have asked the dealer these questions and am not satisfied with thier info because there is a descepency of +3.1". They say that measuring from the center of the front differential to the front of the air dam is 38.25" and that measuring from the center of the rear differential to the rear of the car is 41.25".
If you add Audi's Wheelbase number (104.3") plus the two measurment the dealer has supplied (38.25 & 41.25) you sum up 183.8". This does not match what Audi states as the overall length of the RS4 (180.7").
Any help would be greatly appreciated. My idea was to park the caron a level surface, chaulk both sides of all four tires, finding the center of each ground contact area. Using a level on the center of thefront and rear of the car, plumb down and make a chaulk mark. With these marks now on the pavement move theRS4. Using a chaulk line, snap a line from the center of the tire ground contact mark across to the opposite tire centerground contact mark. With these marks a measurment could be made from the center tire ground contact mark to the front of the car mark that was acheived by using the level. If my scenario is correct we should be able to achevefour measurments. One measurement between the two tire ground contact center lines, this should equal +/- 104.3". One measurement from the fronttire ground contact center line to the front mark, the same for the rear and then the last oveallmeasurement of rear mark to front mark which should equal Audi's 180.7" +/-
Boy this became quite wordy, but I wanted to make it as clear as possible as I do not want to repour the concreate drive more then once, and I really do not want to park the RS4 on the street. I want the drive ready to recieve the RS4 when I take delivery.
Thank you so very much.
Linus

Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: RS4 Driveway Ground Clearence Problem

Didn't read it all, but my lower bumper (airdam?)is 7 3/8" from the ground if that helps.