RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

RS4 -- aftermarket spare?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 03:35 PM
jlr
Default RS4 -- aftermarket spare?

I'm considering an RS4; however, I would need the car as a daily driver, and I foresee being frequently out of town on road trips during the week. I understand the car has a can a fix-a-flat in lieu of a spare and this is not acceptable to me. Does anyone know if someone makes an aftermarket spare wheel/tire combination?

Old 11-13-2006, 03:34 AM
1st Gear
Default YOU DONT NEED

YOU DONT NEED A SPARE TIRE IF YOU GOT A FLAT TIRE JUST STOP BESIDE A TIRE CHANGE AND CHANGE THE TIRE IN THE SAME TIME....

Old 11-16-2006, 06:16 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: RS4 -- aftermarket spare?

i'd imagine your bigger issue would be where to haul the spare because that space is now occupied by a big battery.

i'd suggest buying a used A4/S4 wheel and tire on ebay and shelp it around if you must. hope you don't use your trunk very much...

Old 01-23-2007, 03:33 AM
jlr

"Stop beside a tire change." What does that mean? I don't know of any "tire changes" that existon rural Georgia stretches of interstate at 1 am. Yes, the problem is that this car -- the RS4 -- that is supposedly an all weather car with practical capabilities does not come -- to my knowledge -- with either run-flats or a spare tire. Big problem. If I want a sports car, I buy a Vette or a Porsche. I'm buying an Audi for a reason, right? Why buy a 4000 lb, AWD car that isn't practical?

Old 01-23-2007, 03:52 PM
1st Gear

AAA membership. $47/year. Responds in about 30 minutes. They haul you safely off the interstate. Doesn't take up room in your trunk. And short of a catastrophic blowout, 90% of all tire issues can be temporarily remedied by the standard, Audi supplied can offix-a-flat and in-trunk air compressor.

And if the spare tire issue alone is affecting your RS4 purchase, you're not the target buyer for this car and you shouldn't get one.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: tsunami racer

AAA membership. $47/year. Responds in about 30 minutes. They haul you safely off the interstate. Doesn't take up room in your trunk. And short of a catastrophic blowout, 90% of all tire issues can be temporarily remedied by the standard, Audi supplied can offix-a-flat and in-trunk air compressor.

And if the spare tire issue alone is affecting your RS4 purchase, you're not the target buyer for this car and you shouldn't get one.
Bingo. The RS4 is very much a performance vehicle. A built in lap timer should've been the first hint. If a spare is mandatory an S6 is probably more up your alley and still hauls plenty of a**.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:04 AM
jlr

If you have to call AAA, you still aren't making it home that day/night. Besides, if you are more than the 100 mile limit, you'll be paying some of the towing charges as well. I've got a car with fix-a-flat (VW R32) and I've already had a flat that the can wouldn't fix, and if I begin to take long trips in the car I'll buy the optional spare (which the car will accomodate). Fix-a-flatdoesn't work that well. Manufacturers aren't including spares because we are not expecting them -- it's cheaper for them and it saves a little weight. I'm notjust picking on the RS4;there are other cars with the problem. I get a flat or two a year when I have frequentout-of-town trips, so it's an issue.

As far as the RS4 being a performance car. Yes, it is. But, why I would I pass up a low miles 996 Turbo for equivalent money if I were looking for a real sports/gt car? I will buya Porsche every time, if I'm focused on performance (I've got one now). The Audi is special because it's an Audi, and to me that means it should be very practical family sedan, plus it hauls ****. If Audi thinks they are going to compete with Porsche and BMW, they are wrong. They need to maintain their own identity in their performance offerings, which will be enough. A car that does everything is a strong choice and their strength in the past has been their practical all-weather sporting sedans. I just think they've become a little overly focused on this one, because the car is very heavy yet has no backseat room and no spare. Just my opinion. Otherwise, I want one.