RS Model Line Audi RS4 and Audi RS6..Pure race-car performance technology applied to the comfortable ride for which Audi is known

how do you afford your rs4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP
Default RE: how do you afford your rs4?

nice, deep thoughts. enjoyed reading this thread. good to know that there are people in the world that know what it's all about. problem is, it takes most of us, most of our lives to learn these things.

Old 08-21-2006, 03:11 AM
2nd Gear

I dont know how I'll afford my RS4. But I know I want one. My biggest fear is not that I can't afford it but will it still be available in the next couple of years

Old 08-21-2006, 03:20 AM
1st Gear

what does it matter if its still available if you cant afford it.. interesting order of priorities

Old 08-31-2006, 07:01 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Cameron

ORIGINAL: Cameron

ORIGINAL: drj0ndurst

yea im in a career right now that is in between hobby and job, computer science. I just dotn think I'll ever be able to afford an 80 thousand dollar car and it sucks. entreprenuer huh, what were some of your favorite college classes?
I'm not an RS owner (obviously not at 18), but I'd say that attitude is going to stop you from getting an $80,000 car more than how much you make at your job. You just have to learn to make certain sacrifices in order to get where you want to be.
And another thing, I would never choose a career because of how much money I'll make or what things I can buy. I hope that when you make a career choice, you look past that, and look for what you like to do, not what you would like to have. I make $24k a year right now but I love my work. I'm not going to college because I want to go to trade school and be a mechanic. Everyone tells me I'd make a great engineer, but the truth is, I'd hate to do that. I like fixing what is broken, not designing new things for people like me to fix. Sure, I'll never make enough money to lay down some cash (or probably even finance) an $80,000 car, but I love what I do. If your only motive in career options is buying an RS4, I pity you because you are going to have a horrible life.

There is more to engineering than designing stuff. It is a platform that enables you to do anything. After graduating I had job offers to do engineering, sales, IT, but i chose engineering. Most of my job has been calling on contractors or manufacturers and ordering parts/doing repair work. I've doen some part design and plant layout. Its been very rewarding in versitility. Granted if you wanted to you could get a job designing pistons for an major engine mfg. Next month it looks like i'll spend some time down on the line getting my hands dirty to understand the process better.

But in the end all engineers become managers. Some hands on in the field, or sit back office jobs, your choice.

Like someone said its not about what you know, its about who you know. So when you do go to school for whatever you feel best make sure you join clubs, i suggest a fraternity, the club for you major, and something else you like to do as a hobby. Get to know your professors, go to every job fair possible.

30 years from now, those 40 people sitting next to you in class are going to be balling CEO, senior xxx, vp or xxx. While in trade school will be getting phat union pay to sit on their ***. Nothing against mechanics, the guys that work for me are a good bunch and i like playing poker/ grilling out with them drink beer watching the BEARS. I also like "business" trips to many cities with some nice golf courses, free education (i'm taking mechanics classes right now at night), and knowing someone that will one day let me test drive his ferrari...

Don't limit yourself to being a wrench turner.

Now if you want to own a RS4 on a 30k a year income do this.
1. Before you do anything have a 401k or IRA taking 10% off the top before your money touches your hand. (or do 5% retierment, 5% personal invest if you like having cash available)
2. Find a place with low rent,
3. Don't eat out, buy rice, chicken, and bread. Those $1 pops out of the vending machines will eat up so much money its not funny.
4. Drive a car with low ins(don't **** youself with speeding tickets), good on gas, and you can fix for cheap.
5. When the next line of RS4s come out this line will be cheaper and will still be an RS4. There will be many people looking to drop their old ones for an upgrade.

But most importantly remember...

DO NOT GET MARRIED UNTIL YOUR RS4 IS SITTING IN YOUR DIRVEWAY

Old 08-31-2006, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear

[/quote]

[/quote]

wtf is that supposed to mean? i can afford an rs on my wrench turner salary but "settle" for the s since they aren't bringing the avant to the states. and, i usually understand the components engineers design as well if not better than they do because i deal with them daily in a practical environment. you shouldn't dismiss your underlings simply because they don't have YOUR credentials; somtimes people like being ditch diggers simply because it's a more satisfying accomplishment to dig it than to design it. you wrote that all engineers will be managers. that may be so but remember, being a manager doesn't make someone a leader, it just puts them in charge. think about that before making derogatory statements about the wrench turners; they are the ones that make you shine.

back to the topic, it's all about controlled spending. before you whip out the card on a material item just think about it: do i really NEED this? if you say no, there is another 50, 100, etc. bucks towards your new ride. doesn't sound like much at a glance, but in time that money saved can really accumulate into a healthy downpayment if not purchase.

Old 08-31-2006, 08:21 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chingy
But most importantly remember...
My RS4 has four rings!!!! My girlfriend has NONE!!!!

chingy, that is the wisest piece of advice i have ever heard on this forum!!!

Old 08-31-2006, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Cheese Eater

wtf is that supposed to mean? i can afford an rs on my wrench turner salary but "settle" for the s since they aren't bringing the avant to the states. and, i usually understand the components engineers design as well if not better than they do because i deal with them daily in a practical environment. you shouldn't dismiss your underlings simply because they don't have YOUR credentials; somtimes people like being ditch diggers simply because it's a more satisfying accomplishment to dig it than to design it. you wrote that all engineers will be managers. that may be so but remember, being a manager doesn't make someone a leader, it just puts them in charge. think about that before making derogatory statements about the wrench turners; they are the ones that make you shine.

back to the topic, it's all about controlled spending. before you whip out the card on a material item just think about it: do i really NEED this? if you say no, there is another 50, 100, etc. bucks towards your new ride. doesn't sound like much at a glance, but in time that money saved can really accumulate into a healthy downpayment if not purchase.
Most of my uncles, and brothers are mechaics or factory workers of some kind. They constantly rag on me because I "don't know how things really work. I hastle them back pointing out i get paid more than them to sit on my *** all day. By the end of the day my brother and I have both are heads under the hood of his car. And I don't just stand there telling him thats a spark plug, its designed to plug the spark holes. If you took my comments as an attack I am sorry, i meant them in jest. I wish I could do more hands on work here but i get paid to do other things. So i make up for that in my spare time.

On point,

Cameron was told the he would make a good mechanical engineer. I think he should give it a shot and not pass it off so lightly. If he really wants to be a mechanic thats fine and having a ME degree dosen't eliminate his ability to do mechaical work. I just don't want him to pass up an opportunity based on a sterotype.

Old 08-31-2006, 09:31 PM
2nd Gear

[/quote]
If you took my comments as an attack,I am sorry, i meant them in jest. I wish I could do more hands on work here but i get paid to do other things. So i make up for that in my spare time.
[quote]

first off, i don't think it's possible to insult me, i simply get riled up from time to time with certain topics, but they should make everyone think. so that's why i "bite back". we learn from each other, that's what makes us stronger. i see from that comment that you had to chose too. i love the dirt more than the paperwork, and if there was a job that crossed both (i've looked and seen none that do p&d and field equally), i would def. get the degree, or certificate, or whatever the title would be called (i bet a guy like edison qualified for both back in his day), if it meant designing and working with the products to fruition and beyond. those points stood out simply because of the stereotype of blue colar knuckle draggers, and the thought of just getting by since one doesn't have a degree.

Old 09-07-2006, 01:25 AM
1st Gear

even if she's frugal? yes, they exist

ORIGINAL: Chingy

Old 09-08-2006, 02:23 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Cheese Eater

i love the dirt more than the paperwork, and if there was a job that crossed both (i've looked and seen none that do p&d and field equally), i would def. get the degree, or certificate, or whatever the title would be called (i bet a guy like edison qualified for both back in his day), if it meant designing and working with the products to fruition and beyond.
You could try and get your own show on the Discover Channel where you get to blow stuff up all day. Call it Myth Busters or something like that... oh wait.

ORIGINAL: drj0ndurst

even if she's frugal? yes, they exist
Its not ususally the wife thats the problem is the extras they bring. Rings, honeymoon, mortgage payments, possibly higher tax bracket, kids with all their demands. Wifes tend to frown on eating ramen noodles more than 3 times a week, etc. Now if you have to buy her a new kitchen appliance or jewlery item every week that only compounds the matter.

Quick Reply: how do you afford your rs4?