Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Your thoughts on the Jag XK

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 06:06 AM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: Your thoughts on the Jag XK

Fisker, the designer of the DB9, Vantage and others, designed this car... TRAMONTO

its based off a MBZ SL platform. Theres also one based of the BMW 6 series...
any wayz - I can see the styling cues from the Astons, and BMW z8 roadster..
[] this guy is making a lot of cash...

Old 03-18-2006, 11:50 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

Yeah.

The reason it looks similar is because Ford owns both Jag and Aston. The DB and the XK are built on the same platform. Have been for years. It's like why a Camaro and Firebird look similar. The designer didn't leave Aston for Ford since it's one and the same. I'm going to go post this on some other forum calling you all idiots for not knowing everything about Astons. [&:]

As they like to say, the Aston Martin is just a Jag in drag, but damn it looks good. I'm still considering the new Vantage.
Take it easy Captain Genius. [8D] I knew that there were some corporate ties and what not. My point on the thread was more about them selling a Jag that looks like an Aston and wanting people to comment on the lack of original thought out there and if anyone was lusting after this cheaper Aston look-a-like.

I will now take advantage of your deep(if not bottomless) well of knowledge and have you predict what your annual maintenance costs will be on this new Vantage that you are considering.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:06 AM
2nd Gear

I'm pretty sure that this Jag was the one used in Top Gear, for the "Car Olympics" episode. They had the Jag race around the ice lake track, and then on the ice rink vs. the Olympic speed skating champion... The Jag lost both times... [:@]

Old 03-19-2006, 12:10 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: KarlMarx

I'm pretty sure that this Jag was the one used in Top Gear, for the "Car Olympics" episode. They had the Jag race around the ice lake track, and then on the ice rink vs. the Olympic speed skating champion... The Jag lost both times... [:@]
I can't tell you how many times I've found myself on an ice lake trying to catch a speed skater. Not to mention the time I was being chased by a bad guy while he was firing missiles at me from his car. Thanks to this brilliant test, I know not to get the Jag.

Old 03-19-2006, 12:55 AM
3rd Gear

I'm still considering the new Vantage.
That's a beautiful car. I was blown away when I saw it in person!

I wish I could afford one myself, but sadly not. Even though it's the "cheap" AM it still is the wrong side of 100K. My AM owning dreams will have to remain just that for a while....[&o]

Old 03-19-2006, 01:37 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: QuattroGT74

it still is the wrong side of 100K. My AM owning dreams will have to remain just that for a while....[&o]
you sure 'bout dat?

Old 03-19-2006, 01:51 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: pturbo

Take it easy Captain Genius. [8D] I knew that there were some corporate ties and what not. My point on the thread was more about them selling a Jag that looks like an Aston and wanting people to comment on the lack of original thought out there and if anyone was lusting after this cheaper Aston look-a-like.

I will now take advantage of your deep(if not bottomless) well of knowledge and have you predict what your annual maintenance costs will be on this new Vantage that you are considering.
Sounds like somebody got up on the wrong side of the litterbox today. Rowr....

My bottomless well of knowledge indicates to me that the XK is part of a plan called market sharing. There are many that want a car like that, but as Q said, wrong side of the hundo K mark. By building the XK, they're providing a car for the medium upper middlish class, that while cheaper, is better suited to their particular situation. I don't think that it's a lack of creativity or imagination, I think that Ford are specifically trying to court wanna-be Aston buyers who don't have quite the coin to cruise the big boy. Nothing wrong with that.

Speaking of bottomless, I like Asian girls.....

Old 03-19-2006, 01:59 AM
4th Gear

Speaking of bottomless, I like Asian girls.....
LOL

I agree with you on the courting wannabe Aston buyers without the big coin. I guess I would just prefer for Jag to come up with a Jag. I'll try to get over the whole "ripping off another design" thing.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:09 AM
2nd Gear

But look what happens when Jag comes up with a Jag!

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-200...D6-Concept.htm

You get a car that's half Mazda, half Citroen, all hideous.

Jag's only good cars of late have been based completely on other Ford cars. The S-Type, based on the Lincoln LS. The X-Type, a prettied up Ford Mondeo (cool euro-spec Contour). And the XKs, tarted down Astons.

The only one not heavily based on another Ford product is the XJ, a thoroughly forgettable automobile, even if you opt for the R series.

Old 03-19-2006, 02:30 AM
4th Gear

Maybe they should go dig up the guy up that designed the E type and prop him up at the drawing board or something.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on the Jag XK