Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are you thinking about joining Netflix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator

No problem with n00bs The idea surfaced in the cigar lover's thread in OT last fall. I know the area of Syracuse around Erie Blvd/Salina St/Armory Square pretty well, and some areas in the Taft Ave (N Syracuse area, near the old Burdick Nissan dealership) also. I used to come to the Blvd several years back for all the shenanigans that went on with drag racing and such back before Syracuse PD cracked down on it all and I still am up there several times a year to hit the Carousel, visit friends that live in the area, and such.

I was thinking that for ease of parking, plus the fact that any cleanup can be done there, maybe to meet on Erie at Sparkle City car wash, caravan together from there, and just go have fun. Being a local, I know you can suggest a better place or additional places to meet/cruise/photograph/etc.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:51 PM
1st Gear

Psh. Photo Locals are a dime a dozen here. I can figure out lots of those. theres also lots of places to cruise. All the burdick stuff got moved to a enormous place called drivers village. If you all want cars. Holy crap is that the place to go. Roger Burdick bought a damn mall. and not a small one either and turned it into a dealership mall with like 15 different brands there including all the lovely euros. Audi of course, VW, Porsche and BMW. great place to see every new model in fully shiny clean detail. plus sometimes they let you test drive. pending on the sales person. anyways thats a bit off topic. Downtown is pretty sweet around armory square and dino. But there are so many lights if we get some people from out of town theres to many lights and we would get seperated quick. you let me know what you want start up a thread and lets see if we can get any other takers.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Yep, I've been to "the village" and it's awesome, right off 81 just north of the city. That was the old Great Northern Mall wasn't it?

For sure, I want to get people together for this. Even the underground parking at the Carousel, with its weird lighting and constant water, could be a cool backdrop

Old 03-25-2009, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

awesome idea with that. they even have the upper deck by the best buy. we have all kinds of small parks with lakes and ponds, as well as the zoo has a awesome upper parking lot with a full backdrop view of the city of syracuse.

and it was the old penn cann mall. great northern actually still stands and does fair business to this day even with the montrous carousel. Have you seen it since the upgrade? they started the destiny project. they want to make it bigger than mall of america.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Yep, that deck would be cool but it's usually packed. The underground lot is usually fairly clear at the far end. I know the zoo too and yeah that lot would be great.

I didn't realize which mall the Village was born from - for some reason I thought it was Great Northern. I've seen the Carousel recently (Xmas shopping) and yeah it's insane. Should be cool when it's done though, as long as it doesn't sink into the swamp it's built on.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ImTheDevil
LOL, makes me think of a parallel to George Carlin's motel idea -the Sleep n F*ck
SLEEP....... F*CK..... SLEEP........ F*CK....... SLEEP-F*CK-SLEEP-F*CK

yeah, I know the one...

Originally Posted by TheDavey
but as long as no one laughs at my lack of door trim til I make the descision to either replace it or remove the rivets and clips entirely.
I was missing one black piece of trim on my white 4000S back in the day. I masked across the door and painted black 'trim' onto the car. You couldn't tell until you were 10 feet from the car.

Last edited by achTTung; 03-25-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:10 PM
1st Gear

It probably will. I've actually walked through certain parts of the underground garage and stepped on parts of the ground and had muddy water and bubbles spew out from the cracks in the floor. Eventually that mall will crumble. thats what happens when you build a mall on a former landfill/swamp.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Oh well - enjoy their $4 billion dollar investment before it sinks