Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are you Prepared?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:40 AM
2nd Gear
Question Are you Prepared?

So with the December 7th being the other day, the holiday season right around the corner and the change in administration also around the corner I just wanted to see how prepared people are? This is a big what if but what if something happened and you had to leave where you live in a hurry? How prepared are you to pick up and get out of dodge?

As soon as I moved to college (2002) with 9/11 fresh on their minds my parents sat me down and discussed putting together a GTFO (get the fvck out) kit. It is a camping backpack with essentials incase something happened and I needed to get the fvck out of where ever I was in a very short period of time. Living outside of DC as I do now I have it ready to go at my house at all times. I guess if you live in a more rural setting you don’t really need to worry as much as living in or around a major city. But ask yourself would you be ready to pick up and start walking if need be?

I do mean walking what if there was a nuclear detonation? You survive the blast and the initial radiation that follows but cars in the area wont start due to the emp that it produced. You have no access to cash you need to throw what you can in something you can carry and start walking away from the explosion as fast a possible? Even if your cars did work say after a massive biological attack and you needed to pick up quick and get away from major cities would you be prepared? I would.

Here is what I have in my gtfo bag: 1 pair jeans, 1 pair cargo shorts, 2 pair underwear, 3 pairs socks, 3 shirts of varing degrees of warmth, rain poncho, belt, gloves, hats (one baseball, one winter) carton of cigarettes (I don’t smoke they are for bartering), cash varying bills (I would prefer not to say how much), 1/5 cheap vodka in plastic bottle, back up glasses (I am blind as a bat), fully stocked first aid kit, couple cans of soup, tuna, and powerbars, waterproof matches, zippo, flint, leatherman, a good knife, 2 good flashlights, 2 packs of extra batteries, good camping cup, extra ammunition 9mm.

I put hiking boots right next to the bag as well as an outfit appropriate for the season that i can throw on really quickly. I also recently just got a handgun which I keep stored next to my gtfo bag. I would throw that in there as well or wear it even though I don’t have my concealed carry YET I figure in an emergency like that all bets are off.

I realize that this is sort of a downer topic especially around the holiday season. I also realize it may seem to some like I am being paranoid to some but I feel like I am just prepared. Anyone else have gtfo bags? If so what do you have in them I am always looking for something vital I may have missed. Even if you don’t have one what else would you keep in your bag?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:26 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

In every vehicle I drive I have a full set of BDU's, combat boots, one of those pocket ponchos, winter jacket, entrenching tool, hydration pack with those evil water purifying tablets, first aid, few hundred rounds of each ammo I carry (9mm, .357Sig .40sw, .45ACP 7mm08) lockpick kit, titanium crowbar, weatherproof matches, gps, solar charger for AA batteries (and rechargeable AA batteries) and three days worth of MRE's. I always have at least one gun on me, and at home, I'd take everything and haul ***. At my house I have a converted PRC-47 radio that can run on car batteries and a deployable antenna for it (1200 mile range ftw.)

BRING IT ON, ZOMBIES

Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 PM
4th Gear

no offense, but do you live in a fantasy world? or your parents?

maybe its a dc thing?

the question is, are you prepared with a flame suit? because the chances of that happening are so slim that its a good waste of jeans, shorts, and what you listed...

i live in a small town and see this as really far fetched and weird, maybe big city people dont?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:28 PM
4th Gear

^^CLX i lold so hard at the zombies, thanks for that haha

Old 12-09-2008, 01:39 PM
2nd Gear

i could see maybe carrying a first aid kit in a car or something... but i agree with TTkid you both seem a little over cautious.

in the event that zombies do attack though.. CLX sorry i was just kidding about being over prepared. can i come to your house?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:49 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

My plans for a zombie invasion are simple.

1. get my gear
2. get my girl
3. steal a deuce-and-a-half from the nat'l guard barracks
4. head north and live off the land
5. find Celine Dion and shoot her, since she's obviously the zombie queen
6. profit

Old 12-09-2008, 01:53 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by CLX
My plans for a zombie invasion are simple.

1. get my gear
2. get my girl
3. steal a deuce-and-a-half from the nat'l guard barracks
4. head north and live off the land
5. find Celine Dion and shoot her, since she's obviously the zombie queen
6. profit
fvcking CLASSIC!!!! and Number 5? Is that why I can't stand her?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
2nd Gear

7. Also shoot Billy Mays, because if Celine Dion is the zombie queen obviously that makes him..... F-ing annoying as hell!

Old 12-09-2008, 01:56 PM
SoCal Crew Member/White Devil

That s**t is hilarious.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:00 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Originally Posted by Lebe Frei
7. Also shoot Billy Mays, because if Celine Dion is the zombie queen obviously that makes him..... F-ing annoying as hell!

No no no, you can't shoot Billy Mays. He's impervious to bullets (even silver, depleted uranium, and diamond ones!) You have to take a regular jacketed round and soak it in the blood of the Sham Wow! guy and then shoot him right in the base of his neck. That's the only way to defeat him. Final bosses are ******* tough!

Quick Reply: Are you Prepared?