Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

WTG??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 03:28 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: WTG??

Dan what didnt you like about jamaica?

Im not saying this is you, but I see it every year I go. It makes me furious. Rich american or europen snobs who arent happy because the service isnt good enough or fast enough. These ******* cocky ******** degrading the native people because they think they are better because they have a bank account, a bmw, a laptop, and white skin, whatever. Jamaica certainly isnt for everyone, and everytime someone chooses not to go back, in a way it makes me happy.

Some people just dont get it.

Jamaica is one of the most beautiful Caribbean islands I have seen, unlike others that i have been to (and believe me iv been to a bunch) it is lush and tropical, not volcanic, or barren. Jamaica has a rich culture with influences from all over the world, making it very unique. The music, the food, the people, the mentality: its all right. No problem. Jmaicans are extremely hard working and friendly. I have grown up surrounded by them and working with them at my farm. Jamaica is forever a part of who i am. I will return there as often as I can for the rest of my life.

If your experiences are based upon one or two individual jamaicans dont hate the country because of it. There are shitty people everywhere, and that goes triple for the USA. Jamaica has its problems, but as a TOURIST, you have nothing to worry about.

St. John and St. Lucia are beautiful islands, i have spent time on both, but as a package neither offer what Jamaica does.

**** now im craving a spliff, a red stripe, and a half jerk chicken at Bourbon Beach... Cant forget the reggae either!

Also, All inclusive resorts are NOT the way to go. Come on invest a little money into the island econemy and the people. They need it a whole hell of a lot more than we do.
[/rant]

Meet my family. and see the real Jamaica.
Name:  CozumelJamaica069.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  115.5 KB
Name:  CozumelJamaica048.jpg
Size:  91.7 KB
Name:  CozumelJamaica049.jpg
Size:  142.3 KB
Name:  Picture027.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  125.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0133.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  84.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0113.jpg
Size:  97.4 KB
Name:  IMG_0099.jpg
Size:  122.2 KB
Name:  IMG_0073.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  81.7 KB
Name:  CozumelJamaica081.jpg
Size:  48.4 KB

Old 02-14-2008, 03:36 PM
2nd Gear

San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:37 PM
dan
2nd Gear

The island itself is awesome, beautiful. But the all inclusive resorts and cruise ships have absolutely crushed the local economy and they give absolutely nothing back to the locals. Guests are encouraged to NOT leave the ship or resort etc.

We did not stay in a resort. We rented a villa, had our own cooks and driver/tour guide etc. THAT part was great. what I did NOT like was the fact the local economy was so horribly abused and as a result the local merchants are incredibly pushy in trying to compete for every penny they can get. I don't like to be on a vacation and feel guilty for having the money to actually be there. Which is how I felt for the entire trip in jamaica, It was horrible.

Old 02-14-2008, 03:51 PM
3rd Gear

Thats very understandable i know exactly what you mean. I was down there a couple months after hurricane Ivan and it was pretty sad. The first couple times you go down you generally come back with no money, but after a while you get wise. People remember you, people know you, and everything changes.

i am a Jamarican now, it dosnt happen anymore....

The all inclusives are crap. I hate RUI, Sandles, Beaches, Hedonism, all of them. The local people hate them too just as much. On the road from Mo bay to Negril there is a MASSIVE all inclusive going up, there were hundreds of protesting locals there the year before last. The powers at be were trying to dredge out the bay at Lucea for cruise liners. its Just terrible. My dad has been going down since the 80's and its changed so much. Iv noticed it too...

I understand how that could deter you though

Old 02-14-2008, 04:04 PM
2nd Gear

That kind of reminds me of Cuba. It was great at the resort. When we left for Havana people were poor and begging for money. I left with a who;e bunch of stuff and at the end I ended up giving everything away except for my shoes and my pants.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:47 PM
3rd Gear

The contrast between wealth and poverty is so terrible all over the world. Some of the most beautiful places in the world are the toughest to make a living in.

would kill to go to cuba for 2 weeks to SCUBA dive. I have heard its gorgeous. I just might have some issues getting back into the US...

Old 02-14-2008, 04:54 PM
dan
2nd Gear

Well year right, Growing up in Australia though spoiled me. I got the best of both worlds back there. Why I'm in the states I will never know lol. But I make it apoint to go to at least one different island or country every year. It's one of the best ways to get an appreciation of different cultures and i think gets you into a mindset of actually giving a crap about other parts of the world.

One of the biggest issues I have with meeting new people in the states is that there are so many people who are so oblivious to other parts of the world is sad. Like nothing exists outside of the US borders except people wanting to run across them into the USA :P. Anyway thats a sweeping generalization I know but it's been my experience a good chunk of the time.

Old 02-14-2008, 04:58 PM
4th Gear

Yeah I feel ya on that end, mate - burns my *** when I see spoiled kids - rich or poor **** and moan about how bad they have it here in the US. Send them to work overseas - or better yet - Mexico and let them then understand how privledged they truly are...

Old 02-14-2008, 04:59 PM
4th Gear

sorry Crunk, don;t mean to hijack the thread - hope you enjoy your 3-day trip

Old 02-15-2008, 01:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Crunk

Got a free weekend trip to anywheres......
Hawaii is too far for just a 3 day thing!
I am thinking Beach!!
Any Suggestions?
did you sign up for a t-mobile myfaves plan during black friday? if not how the hell did u get a free flight?

oh and I suggest Punta Cana, Dominican Republic