Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wood cribs + Jack Stands?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:29 PM
1st Gear
Question Wood cribs + Jack Stands?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum so if I've got this in the wrong section I apologize.
I want to get into doing my own car maintenance (oil changes, tire rotations...etc), but I've never done this stuff before. I like to learn everything I can before I start something and I'm most concerned with jacking up the car safely. I've read plenty of stories of jack stands failing while people are under the car and the people getting crushed to death. I don't want that happening to me. I found this DIY guide for wood blocks/cribs the other day to add to the support of the jack stands(or actually, from what it looks like, the jack stands are for backup). Even though I haven't ever posted on this forum before, I have read plenty of threads and you guys seem to know what you're doing... so I'd like to ask what you guys think of this. The guide on the wood block cribs/stands is here with some pics of them: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/multi/wood-block.htm
So, what do you guys think... is the wood block/crib idea with 4 jack stands under the car (for backup) safe, or would I be better off just getting 8 jack stands to support the car?
Thanks for any help you guys can give me...
Oh and FWIW... the car being supported would be a 2002 Audi A4 3.0

Old 02-10-2011, 11:16 PM
AudiForums WilkommenVagen Direktor

wood is a wonderful thing. Cheap, easy to work with and has a slow fail under load with all sorts of warning indicators.

jack stands are also wonderful things. smaller, lighter, and plenty strong.

either is prone to failure if not used properly. both are very safe if the are used properly. you should be more than fine with a quality jack, some wheel chocks and some quality jack stands.

I guess it just depends on what gives you the peace of mind that you need to feel confident working on your car. The information in the link you posted is pretty good stuff.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

Pine is a soft wood...Ikea grade...the hard woods are wood like oak but very expensive. You have to consider how long you plan to use the bed. If you plan on having seven kids then get a good one that you can use over the years. If you plan on only one little nipper then Pine should do it.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM
1st Gear

Thanks guys... I think I'll go with both the wood and 4 jack stands. It would definitely give me peace of mind having both wood and jack stands supporting the car while I'm under it.
Can you suggest some good brand jack stands? I found some Torin Double Locking Jack Stands (6 ton) model number T46002A for $40/pair at NorternTool. They're double locking which I guess means it's a ratchet stand with a pin for backup. They look alright to me, but I don't want to cheap out on safety. Does anyone here have any experience with Torin? Any good brands you can recommend?
Thanks again!

Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 AM

I use the inexpensive 3 ton stands from Walmart and have no issues. The biggest factor with failures is misuse or using damaged equipment

And just ignore the spammer

Old 02-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

This I want to try... But HOW THE HELL do I get the car onto them?!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:28 PM
Actual WIZARD

Originally Posted by chocalotstarfish
This I want to try... But HOW THE HELL do I get the car onto them?!
SuperBig high lift jack duh

Old 02-12-2011, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Keegan0103
SuperBig high lift jack duh
Jacks dont fit under my car... So I drive up on wood...

So drive on wood to jack up the car higher and put on more wood lol!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:18 PM

if you can't fit a high lift jack under your car you must scrape more than Nick Broderick

pic for clarification

Old 02-13-2011, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 02A6Beau
if you can't fit a high lift jack under your car you must scrape more than Nick Broderick

pic for clarification

I wasn't thinking of those but I rather not f my paint. I had one of those I used on my durango and they are fail.

Quick Reply: Wood cribs + Jack Stands?