Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Will ebay vag work?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 PM
1st Gear
Default Will ebay vag work?

Hi, I just brought an Audi Q7 2011/2012 model,
I want to do some modding to it from vcds
As:
-Adjusting service intervals
-Fog lights active with highbeams active
-Adjusting bi-xenons range
-Seatbelt chime and light disabling
-Automatically folding mirrors when locking the car.

Is it possible for me to make these mods from a cheap ebay vag cable such as this one ?

KKL USB Diagnostic Cable VAG-COM OBD2 EOBD AUDI / VW / Skoda / Seat | eBay

I am going to buy the cable from ebay, and then do the modifications from VCDS software.

My question is basically: Is it possible for me to make all the modifications below with an ebay cable?

Old 08-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Senior Administrator

As with anything you purchase from eBay, caution is always recommended. You can sometimes get much less than what you pay for.

That being said, the cable is basically JUST a connector. The software you are using is what makes the magic happen, not the cable. What you may be forfeiting by using eBay is (maybe) tech-support, should the cable fail to perform as advertised; and/or (maybe) quality-control in the manufacturing process... Things we take for granted when purchasing from a reputable vendor.

I didn't check out the link, so I know nothing of the vendor you are looking to purchase from. I just know that teh cable is simply a mechanical device that connects one something to another something. Unless it's physically defective, it would in no way impede your ability to do whatever you would be able to do with a more expensive, brand-name cable.

Do stop back by and let us know how it went, for you, please.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:29 PM
1st Gear

Ok. I will, I've read from some websites, that not all the features in VCDS are available with a third-party vag cable.
That's why I asked.
I will reply messages after trying the "cheap cable" from ebay.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Senior Administrator

Thanks.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Will ebay vag work

The ebay ones are very limited in what they do. ie: they will clear codes but not show you the description of what they are/were, you cant recode modules etc...

Old 09-05-2013, 02:36 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by kulinilesh1992
The ebay ones are very limited in what they do. ie: they will clear codes but not show you the description of what they are/were, you cant recode modules etc...

Hey! You should know that *I* killed that trampy url from your signature block. If you want to be able to put urls in your signature block, PM me and I'll share info on how to become a sponsor or vendor. Absent that, if you put that trampy url back in your signature block I will PERMA-BAN you as fast as is humanely possible for me to do so.

The ONLY reason I left you alone, instead of pounding you with my BAN-HAMMER, now, is because the information in your post was mildly relevant.

That is all.