Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wicked McLaren

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 06:29 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Wicked McLaren

It's nothing special. I've driven two, a regular one and the F1GT. They do have lots of power, but it's hard as hell to put it to the ground, and after 100, the power just goes away. And it's skittish to drive, the front end has no feel and the back goes where ever the hell it wants, on or off-power. Oh and another thing..... The F1's Car & Driver recorded skidpad, 0.86. My frikkin Lightning truck does .0.85, come on.

The McLaren was a good supercar when it came out, but by today's standards, it's so far behind, it's not even funny. It's just big power with huge gears. Nothing special. The racecar version was quite successful, but the only thing it had in common with the street version was basic dimensions.The Koenigsegg beats it hard in 1/4 mile, top speed, and absolutelydecimates it in handling and braking. And if you want to bring the Veyron into the mix, you can take off in the F1, let it get to 120mph before you take off in the Veyron, and the Veyron will stillbeat it to 200.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:45 AM
Senior Administrator

That's cuz the Veyron has Turbo, rotors, AND pistons

Old 01-05-2007, 02:22 PM
4th Gear

AND pistons??? are these a new mod, AWD?? just j/k

Well, Silver,until I see a video of the Koenigsegg or the Veyron going flat out - this will have to do

Old 01-05-2007, 08:47 PM
2nd Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAdK...ted&search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwvd...ted&search

More searches can yield you flat out tests if you'd like, but if those don't get the point across.....

Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 PM
3rd Gear

I'd much rather drive a Veyron.

Old 01-05-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: Palindari

AND pistons??? are these a new mod, AWD?? just j/k
https://www.audiforums.com/m_424994/tm.htm

Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

The McLaren was a good supercar when it came out, but by today's standards, it's so far behind, it's not even funny. It's just big power with huge gears. Nothing special. The racecar version was quite successful, but the only thing it had in common with the street version was basic dimensions.
Ibelieve BMW supplied the engines for the race McLarens. Go figure. McLaren is a larger company now and probably wouldn't go that route.

That is cool that you have driven an F1. I think that would be great. My chances are low since I don't know Tito Jackson or Lennox Lewis.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:11 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: pturbo

Ibelieve BMW supplied the engines for the race McLarens. Go figure. McLaren is a larger company now and probably wouldn't go that route.
BMW supplied the engines for the street versions as well. And now they're just in bed with Mercedes, making that enormous SLR thing.

ORIGINAL: pturbo

That is cool that you have driven an F1. I think that would be great. My chances are low since I don't know Tito Jackson or Lennox Lewis.
I suppose it's cool to have done it, but you're not missing much. I didn't like anything about it. I got ot drive the F1, and XJ220 and an F40 at Goodwood, and the F1 was the lame duck of the group. All it had going for it was a much greater top speed, and as much fun as that it to brag about, how often would you everget to use that? The F40 feels ten times better than the F1at speeds below 100mph, and the XJ feels ten times better than the F1at speeds above 100.

Now you've got loads of competitors against the likes of the F1. My favorite that I've actualyl driven would be the S7R. It's not quite as fast, but it does everything else better, handling, braking, all of the rest of the stuff that's important to the road experience. And I've not had the chance to drive one, but on paper the Koenigsegg CCXjust blows away the McLaren in every aspect.

The F1 was an accomplishment in the early 90s, but singing it's praises now is kinda like talking about the early 90s Corvette. Good in it's day, but doesn't hold well against the test of time. Now there are family sedans that will out-run the early 90s Corvettes.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:22 AM
4th Gear

i want to be on a track like that.and the car would be nice too.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:41 AM
2nd Gear

well it kept going and going and going ... for a while at least

Quick Reply: Wicked McLaren