Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

why you shouldn't street race

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 02:04 PM
Default RE: why you shouldn't street race

ORIGINAL: BlackRaptor

Give cops fast cars street racers get faster to run from them.
And now we have people in really fast cars trying to outrun really fast cars.
The idea was not so they could chase them down, but so they would be undercover

Good thing I wouldn't even try to take on a Cobra or a 350Z... I know my place

Old 03-12-2008, 02:38 PM
2nd Gear

Ummm.... they're not street racing cops. The cops roles haven't changed. They are just letting the street racers know that if they get picked up for street racing, thir "baby" may end become the ultimate anti-street racing vehicle, a cop car.

Nobody said ANYTHING about chasing down street racers in high speed chases. That's not how most street racers get caught anyways. It's through blockades and stuff.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:51 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: incrementalg

I'm impressed they're using a Cobra with a manual trans. Most of the pursuit cars I've seen have been automatics. (those mustangs and camaros the cops used to use)

Good thing they stopped short of showing viewers what the two "disguised" cop cars look like.
cobras are only available in a manual tranny.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:38 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AZAudiA6Q

Ummm.... they're not street racing cops. The cops roles haven't changed. They are just letting the street racers know that if they get picked up for street racing, thir "baby" may end become the ultimate anti-street racing vehicle, a cop car.

Nobody said ANYTHING about chasing down street racers in high speed chases. That's not how most street racers get caught anyways. It's through blockades and stuff.
I was under the wrong impression then.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:54 PM
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: Khardysius

I was unable to view the newscast, but from what I've read in this thread it sounds like the police department in Charlotte, NC is using Ford Mustang Cobras to hunt speeders and street racers.

While initially this sounds like a good idea to common-folk because we are "equipping" officers with the means to crack down on this sort of "crime", it is a horrible idea.

I agree with HP Addict that it will lead to more crashes, casualties, and deaths. How much experience does it take to be a street racing cop anyway? What type of special training do they have? Are these street racing cops prepared to risk their lives? Risk crashing their own car and injuring others? Is our society so caught up in the "chase" that we have lost common sense, or should we continue to push the limit with apprehending these people?

Let us dwell further. What happened to undercover cops? Is it more logical to implant someone into the street racing scene make connections and call it in, or to "empower" our police force with just as dangerous equipment with just as much of a chance to crash, kill, or die themselves?

Maybe the Street Racing section of the Charlotte Police Department could coordinate with DoT, EMTs, ATF, FBI, CIA, or whoever to establish some sort of organized (safe as safe can be) street racing program. This Street Racing Program (SRP) could be used to raise money!

They could use already installed street cameras to keep those who want to view the race informed. Individuals could pay a fee for this. This way viewers to stay in a safe location, but still see all the angles and corners of the track.

Gambling! There could even be gambling like the horse track. The local government could take a percentage of the wagers/earnings to create an income! Man, this is great I tell you! I mean, street racers will be street racers, so why don't the law enforcement agencies and racers unite and compromise!?

Why can't anyone work together to achieve similar goals?

Excuse me while I pee.

for some reason this has F&F written all over it to me, Undercover cop thrown into the realm of street racing, gets engulfed in it and then drives a 10sec Supra vs like a 9 sec GTO and somehow wins... leads to sequel.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:04 PM
2nd Gear

I love how movies make everything else seem so unrealistic.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:05 PM
6th Gear

Yeah, I can't wait for the 4th one I need a new movie to make fun of, and I never saw Redline

Old 03-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Zombie Defense Force

pffft its a cobra ill take him in the turns lol

Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 PM
2nd Gear

Fast & Furious has the sickest 3 minute querter mile races ever! Not to mention an Eclipse with 16 gears! Haha

Old 03-13-2008, 09:37 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: HP Addict

This is going to lead to dead officers and dead teenagers IMO
I Agree so SLOW THE FVCK DOWN!!!!!!

Quick Reply: why you shouldn't street race