Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why I bought an Audi

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja
Default RE: Why I bought an Audi

Yeah like my first post stated - I was just really surprised how well the car handled in the rain.
someone used the word "planted" thats just the perfect way to describe it too.

Old 03-01-2006, 02:28 PM
Senior Administrator

One problem I remember with having AWD, from my days in Germany... When you DO finally exceed the grip limits of your tires, having AWD means you lose traction AT BOTH ENDS, if you're loaded laterally. Nothing will make your hair stand up FASTER than having ALL FOUR tires break loose simultaneously! Believe me, I've been there a time, or two. And, I was HAVING A BALL, right up until I lost it...

Both times were on snow, FWIW.

1st time I was able to able to regain control through judicious use of throttle, brake, and gear selection.

2nd time was downhill, on a highway, in a freak snowstorm, with 5 other cars (literally) spinning all around me. I was actually able to maneuver around 3 of them. #4 was a VW Vanogen P/U who bounced off teh inside guardrail and came BACK across teh A-Bahn RIGHT INTO MY PROJECTED PATH. When I tried to steer around him I over-reacted and threw my Calibra into a s - l - o - w - a - n - d - g - e - n - t - l - e - s - p - i - n that only ended when I dragged the nose UNDER the inside guardrail... Whole incident took three hours to complete, from start to finish. Well, it SEEMED that way, but actually prolly took, like, less than 30 seconds from first brakelight/spinning car to stopping under the guardrail.

Bottom line: You ALWAYS see those MOROONS zoomin around in their SUV's in bad weather because they're convinced they're immune to it... THEY AREN'T, and neither are you. The laws of physics still apply. Gentle, controled inputs (steering/brakes/throttle) will win the day. Having two extra wheels pulling helps, but, like someon said, bald tires, regardless of how many wheels are working for you, are no good. Losing traction with Quattro means you have two extra contact patches to figure out how to get re-attached to the road... Even Superman has Kryptonite to worry about. Be careful, even with Quattro.

EDYT: Doin 120+mph in teh rain, and 80 in teh snow IS a blast, tho. MAN I miss Europe!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 03:08 PM
4th Gear

i was most impressed by the quattro in the snow. i love it.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Jazz thats one crazy story
and damn does child support really rape u that bad

Old 03-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: PandaXpress

Story's true. Freak snow storm swept across central Germany, that day. I heard later on that something like 1300 accidents took place, across central Germany, during/behind that storm. It was first thing on a Saturday morning. By day's end the 8+ inches that it dumped (in MAY) were melted and gone.

Child support is set at approx 40% of my take-home (but I've had two raises since last they computed, so I'm kinda cheating, huh?), just under a grand, last I looked. And, yes, they take into account BOTH of my incomes (All 3, when I was a Reservist, too). So, I work, 2-3 jobs, just to live a little above the poverty level, for my area, it seems.

Hey, I found another deal on a CQ (the last one got sold before I cud come up with a downpayment to hold it). Two, actually. One is in AZ, I think, or WA, I forget. The other is 2 hours SW of me. Want the info on teh left-coastie-one?

Old 03-01-2006, 06:47 PM
Administrator

i wasnt doubting the truthfullness of it i was say thats a crazy story
damn they raped ya but its for a good cause, cant wait until u get that extra flow of money back

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Story's true. Freak snow storm swept across central Germany, that day. I heard later on that something like 1300 accidents took place, across central Germany, during/behind that storm. It was first thing on a Saturday morning. By day's end the 8+ inches that it dumped (in MAY) were melted and gone.

Child support is set at approx 40% of my take-home (but I've had two raises since last they computed, so I'm kinda cheating, huh?), just under a grand, last I looked. And, yes, they take into account BOTH of my incomes (All 3, when I was a Reservist, too). So, I work, 2-3 jobs, just to live a little above the poverty level, for my area, it seems.

Hey, I found another deal on a CQ (the last one got sold before I cud come up with a downpayment to hold it). Two, actually. One is in AZ, I think, or WA, I forget. The other is 2 hours SW of me. Want the info on teh left-coastie-one?

Old 03-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

Man that child support is harsh - but yeah defenitely a good cause...
How much longer do you have to pay it back??

( I guess you can never be sure what its being used for though).
better than paying spousal support.. eeeek.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Senior Administrator

^^^ support obligation ends in Oct, theoretically. Depends on how efficient they are at stopping the court order that deducts it STRAIGHT from my paycheck...

If it runs over they cut me a refund check.

I stopped anguishing over how trh $$$ was spent years ago...

only real change will be that my kids'll start asking me for loot directly, instedda me payin the state of Michigan...

Old 03-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Administrator

only real change will be that my kids'll start asking me for loot directly, instedda me payin the state of Michigan...
my uncle is devorced and he payed child support and spoucal support until his kids turned 18 and the kids and the mom moved to texas and the only time his kids talk to him was when they wanted more money, messed up off spring he got

Old 03-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Senior Administrator

my uncle is devorced and he payed child support and spoucal support until his kids turned 18 and the kids and the mom moved to texas and the only time his kids talk to him was when they wanted more money, messed up off spring he got
That depends... If ALL he did was provide $$$ then that's the ONLY relationship he established with his kids. If he gave face-time, too, then you're right. messd up offspring. I don't know, so I don't know. Not asking; doesn't involve me, so I'm not trying to place any value judgement. Just offering one possible explaination. PLUS, in divorce situations, once kids get to be teenagers they will either swallow Mom's rhetoric, hook/line/sinker, or they'll go 180deg in other direction and embrace EVERYTHING Mom hates, ESPECIALLY Dad! Distance doesn't help, either. Teenagers view of reality tends to revolve around what they deal with on a daily... In my experience. S'why I've made the 620mile drive up to spend weekends with mine every other month (minimum) for the last 4-5 years. I go more often when I can afford. They're 21 & 17, now, so I'll prolly start tapering off in a couple of years... As my son begins to grow into his own.