Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

why do people call wheels rims?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: why do people call wheels rims?

im just sayingaccording to the23 part websterdefinition of "wheel" a tire can be considered a wheel.. i actually never thought of the difference between tire rim wheel too hard until today

Old 11-01-2007, 12:17 AM
1st Gear

ok, if we're gonna be like this, difference between a record and an album. or for that matter dumbass football announcers that shout "reverse" during an endaround. actually heard on call it right 3 weeks ago. blew me away. a rim is just part of the wheel that came to be known as the whole thing. if you like the rim, you like the wheel. yadda yadda yadda. smile

Old 11-01-2007, 12:27 AM
4th Gear

I know, I know!

They are gay. JK JK

josh

Old 11-01-2007, 12:28 AM
1st Gear

haha "endaround" that word alone made me

Old 11-01-2007, 01:47 AM
2nd Gear

I work in computer repair and one thing that drives me insane is when people refer to the entire computer as the CPU or hard drive![:@]

Old 11-04-2007, 11:30 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: djuro37

but isnt the wheel the entire thing.. when i say rims... thats exactly what i mean rims... rim + tire = wheel ... you can call each thing individually a wheel if you would like to be specific but that defeats the purpose when you are talking about a specific part
The tire is the tire, the wheel is the wheel. Put them together, you have a wheel and tire. You don't go toSears and tell them your wheel has no tread or that your wheel needs a patch. You tell them thetire is worn out or needs repair.The rim isthe outermostpart of a wheel. Rim + hub = wheel. Just like bun + meat patty = burger. You don't refer to a bun with no meatas a burger,the whole thingmust be complete, all components together to make a whole. Savvy so far?

Rim is slang for a whole wheel assembly. This is fine. The problem is that people no longer realize that it's slang and seem to think that rim is the correct technical term for a wheel. And it's gone beyond rap music, I hear honkies talk about rims all the time.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: i3uddha

*sigh*

I love these forums - but dont u think sometimes it can get a little
out of control aka "Im a snob" ???...

Yes..agreeed its not the exact terminology -
but why do we get so uptight over this stuff??

(ImolaS4 would be ready to jump all over this thread if he were still active
and ban me for being blasphemous)
I'll front a PAIR of AF stickers to the 1st person to find and post ImolaS4's patented rant for calling wheels rims...

i3uddha, this from the 6 I asked you to hold for me. Paypal the loot for the whole 1/2 on Tuesday.

ORIGINAL: djuro37

im just sayingaccording to the23 part websterdefinition of "wheel" a tire can be considered a wheel.. i actually never thought of the difference between tire rim wheel too hard until today
Dictionaries as intended to reflect the "life" of a language. If enough clueless Clyde's start referring to their winkies as winkies, it will make it into the dicatonary as such. Now, stop touching your winkie or you'll go [8D]

Old 11-04-2007, 11:58 AM

lol rims are what the tyre sits onand the whole alloy/steel bit = a wheel but the rim is just a sales pun and directed at the shiny bits, but the rim defined as 15" to 20" has a dimension reality and doesnt include bling

Old 11-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Senior Administrator

yeah, some trust-fund baby in the RS-sectiongot upset when I accused him of wanting "bling" simply because he posted a query about "going wide" on a 20"-"rim," and slapping some "Porsche" calipers on his RS4...

tires â‰* wheels, wheels â‰* rims, $ â‰* brains

Attitude > ALL

Old 11-04-2007, 03:17 PM

It comes from wheels that have a big lip on the outside of the wheel. The outside of the wheel is called the RIM OF THE WHEEL. So when people have a big chrome rim of the wheel, they say "check out my rims". originally they weren't reffering to the wheel as a rim, they were reffering to the rim OF the wheel. Then eventually it makes it's way into popular culture. Kind of like people calling nitrous NOS, when NOS reffers specifically to the brand name Nitrous Oxide Systems.

Quick Reply: why do people call wheels rims?