Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why are BMW's and Mercedes' So Fast????

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:52 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Why are BMW's and Mercedes' So Fast????

If you watch the new Top Gear they test out a turbo v12 benz that was modified to 800hp and 1000tourqe, and all the car does is wobble all over the place. At least an Audi or a BMW or a 350z for that matter will take the mods without going ape sh*t and wobbling all over the track like someone put crack in the fuel tank.

Old 02-22-2007, 03:56 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Amze

You own a new 350z, thats badass man. I'd rather own that than my Audi by far...

i wouldnt go this far by saying i would rather own it than my AUDI but hell yeah that car is nasty and it def deserves respect wherever it goes....

Old 02-22-2007, 04:29 PM
4th Gear

Funny, when I was over in Germany - I got a rental 86 VW Golf and it was geared for speed and much more powerful than I expected. My 86 Fiero was in the shop - it had a 2.5 engine - yet this Golf with it's 1.8 was making look gut-less.I'm not that much of an enthusiast to know what in the hell I'm talking about here, but Iwould have to agree with 2k S4 - it's the power curve.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:37 PM
2nd Gear

im tryin to find out how the hell this thread went off topic on the first reply. germans cars are fast no contest. some are faster than others. if you compare a RS6 and an E320, audi takes it or an E55 to an A5 benz takes it. i honestly dont care. i only respect japanese and german. i cant stand domestics, so id rather be in any kind of german car than a domestic.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:54 PM
1st Gear

Its all in the power band. Having a car put out crap power till 5k rpm where it jumps up high can't compete to a car that puts outgood power at 3.5k peaking slightly less than the other car.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 PM
2nd Gear

[quote]ORIGINAL: scg87

Okay, sitting around here at work, I'm bored as $hit, so I start flipping through some of Motor Trends, Car and Drivers, etc we have compiled in our office. I noticeseveral varoius articles w/BMW's and Mercedes that just seem to be too quick for their specs. I know there are a ton of factors that account for vehicles' performance; hp, torque, power-to-weight, tranny, gearing, traction, pwerband, car weight, driver, tect conditions, etc and I know many car mags correct performance numbers, but BMWs and Benzes seem to consistently perform better than what their stats say they should be able to. What gives??? Maybe it's just me, or some kind of auto mag conspiracy, lol. Just wondering what you guys' thoughts were on the matter.....
[/quote]

Could it just be your perception of performance vs. stats?. See whatI bolded above. From what reference do you notice this? Could it be your bias toward Audi is reflected in your belief that BMW's and Benz's should perform at a certain 'level' ...and then you are surprised when they exceed that? I don't go around driving BMW's and Benz's all the time, butI read the mags, too. Sometimes I'm impressed with their performance ( the recent 3-series 330 twin-turbo comes to mind ), sometimes I'm not. I also note that in general, it takes $$ to make a superior car. When tested head-to-head, beemers and Benz's are almost always hundred's (if not thousands) more expensive that the compared-against Audi.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

Sure is fun stirring the pot. I am a car enthusiast as well, and haven't owned a domestic car since '77...and probably never will. I guess I've just grown tired of the "who is fastest" question. If you just wanna go fast strap a jet engine on anything and there you go. Anybody, even the guy that started this thread, can probably push the pedal down to the floor, but if you want to show your talent - take it on the track.

Go fast - big deal. Design, innovation, handling, quality - now you're talking.

Oh, and I apologize to the thread-starter, the 350Z is a nice car...my Mom drives one.

You guys need to lighten up.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:28 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: karguy427

[quote]ORIGINAL: scg87

Okay, sitting around here at work, I'm bored as $hit, so I start flipping through some of Motor Trends, Car and Drivers, etc we have compiled in our office. I noticeseveral varoius articles w/BMW's and Mercedes that just seem to be too quick for their specs. I know there are a ton of factors that account for vehicles' performance; hp, torque, power-to-weight, tranny, gearing, traction, pwerband, car weight, driver, tect conditions, etc and I know many car mags correct performance numbers, but BMWs and Benzes seem to consistently perform better than what their stats say they should be able to. What gives??? Maybe it's just me, or some kind of auto mag conspiracy, lol. Just wondering what you guys' thoughts were on the matter.....

Could it just be your perception of performance vs. stats?. See whatI bolded above. From what reference do you notice this? Could it be your bias toward Audi is reflected in your belief that BMW's and Benz's should perform at a certain 'level' ...and then you are surprised when they exceed that? I don't go around driving BMW's and Benz's all the time, butI read the mags, too. Sometimes I'm impressed with their performance ( the recent 3-series 330 twin-turbo comes to mind ), sometimes I'm not. I also note that in general, it takes $$ to make a superior car. When tested head-to-head, beemers and Benz's are almost always hundred's (if not thousands) more expensive that the compared-against Audi.
[/quote]

I'm not biased toward Audi. I like BMW and Mercedes, it's just in many road tests they're featured in, they seem to perform better than they should. I know all about powerbands, engine characteristics, drivetrain efficiency, etc. The main cars that come to mind are as you mentioned the new turbo BMW 335s, but also newer M3s, the new Merc SL550 and SLK350, and a few others. I was joking when I said it was a conspiracy, lol. I kinda lean towards BMW and Benz going to great lengths to retain their rep and have good performance so they use nice, fresh,but still broken in cars for mags to test. Like I said, I was just wondering what YOU guys thought.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:36 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Amze

You own a new 350z, thats badass man. I'd rather own that than my Audi by far... to me thats the best performance car that offers reliability, looks and must be just a BLAST to drive, rwd kicks ***. When I drive my friends 240sx it makes me wish they had 03 + models exactly like his 96 cause there just such a blast to drive but to unreliable.. I could of gotton a 2002-03ish 350z for the price I payed on my Audi but insurance would crush a almost 18 year old kid, plus 2 seats wouldn't be my style at my age... I hang with to many people to have lack of seats. But yeah, those cars are bad ***!

And in my opinion, avaters shouldn't mean ****.. if its not about audi that doesnt matter, most of us are here because were all around CAR ENTHUSIAST, not just AUDI ENTHUSIAST

Hah, thanx man. Yeah, Ilove my Z, but I'm a big Audi fan. Nissan's cool, butthere's really nothin outside the Z I'd buy from them. They're good, reliable cars, but I don't do FWD. I'm young, no kids so don't need a back seat, lol. The A4 is just for gettin around when the roads are bad, which is often here in North Dakota.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:18 AM
1st Gear

hey i have" noddy" as an avtar ... does this mean i drive a red and yellow toy car ...

Quick Reply: Why are BMW's and Mercedes' So Fast????