Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

WHY is it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Senior Administrator
Default WHY is it...

...that, when you ask a simple question, people ALWAYS wanna jump in with value judgements? I've noticed it, more and more, in conversations I have. In the email axchanges I have. In the media. At work. EVERYWHERE!!! For example:

A couple of years ago I was looking to purchase some tires for my '93 Camry, V6-SE Sedan. Having spent a fair amount of time in the land of no speedlimits; and having owned a few high performance cars (4 BMW's, 1 Porsche, 2 Alfa Romero's), and an VERY High Performance car (Opel Calibra Turbo), I know the value of having good rubber on your mota. So, I call around... First place I call asks me what kinda car I'm driving (like it matters), then tells me I CAN'T (Can't, canya believe it!) put V-Rated rubber on my Camry. He goes on to tell me that it would be illegal (ILLEGAL?) to do so!!! Whatta tool! 2nd place, same basic story. I'm told by the next three places that: 1-It's TOO MUCH tire for my car. 2-It won't fit (???) 3-V-rated tires are for high performance cars, which my Camry wasn't...

FINALLY, last place I called, when I explained, as I did to all the other places, that I wanted a price quote for a set of 205-65/15 V-Rated tires only asked me if I had a brand preference. $550.00 later, I'm rollin' on a set of Falkens (love Falken... Good grip. Good break-away characteristics. Poor longevity.).

So, why couldn't the first few places just have asked me what the past place did, instead of trying to define for me what I could put on my car? The Owner's Manual, BTW, specifies V-Rated rubber, with H-rated as a viable option. But, whey would I put H's on a car that can achieve 135+?

I hope I don't have the same problem when I go looking for Z-rubber for my 8-Q...

peas...

Old 02-23-2005, 10:26 AM
6th Gear
Default RE: WHY is it...

DAMNIT WHAT A DUMB QUESTION!! Just kidding. Seems as though our society has become impatient these days.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Senior Administrator

HEY! I'm only impatient in, with, or around my car...

Foreal tho...

I go to the supermarket and get some eggs, for instance (an example, as it hasn't REALLY happened, YET!), and the lady at the checkout counter holds up me and the entire line to tell me about how the *super-extra-large* eggs are a better deal.

Or, some cop pulls me over AT LEAST one county out of his jurisdiction, just because I shut the door on him and din't let him cut me off in traffic!!! Reads me the riot act about speeding (the whole section of road was going about 20-25 over and I was only keeping pace... HONEST!) And, tells ME to drive carefully. Of course I swallow my tongue and politely thank him for his constructive criticism.

People check-up in the traffic lane adjacent to mine and EVERYBODY IN MY LANE GOES FOR THEIR BINDERS, TOO!!! WTF, over? ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

As soon as I hit the lottery I'm buying an island all to myself...

[IMG]local://upfiles/4805/6CB2CE8BD984407C8D0B46A161209C68.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-23-2005, 01:07 PM
6th Gear

road rage much?

Old 02-23-2005, 01:10 PM
2nd Gear

hahahahhahah Thats funny people are dumb these days and ask a lot of questions, they just wanna be in people's business all the time, you buying a pack of condoms they asking you why are you gettin XL ones and why Trojan this and that, i told one girl at the register you wanna come and join and see why i'm getting all this if u really wanna know, hehehehe, but hey AWD if you buy an island Invite me to come out sometime because i hate the cops, so i wanna spent some time with my car rippin the road. Bye Bye

Old 02-24-2005, 02:44 AM
4th Gear

XL, i'm sure.

Can't say anyones ever bothered me about condoms, and yeah man, the cop thing pisses me off. most of them are good guys, respectful if you respect them, etc etc. But having a cop rip by you because you slowed down to the speed limit when you noticed him in your mirror (after which your stomach made a home in your throat) is pretty frusterating. especially after gettting a speeding ticket 3 days earlier

Old 02-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Administrator

I agree CMV. Police Officers are just like regular people, although from personal experience, I'd have to say regular BULLY people. They've all got *control* issues, at least, the ones I've personally known (about 12-13, so far). But I'd guess you'd have to, to want to have that kinda thankless job.

Jest, I keep my rage INSIDE my car. Usually I rant and rave, then I open the sunroof and turn up the music REALLY loud! By the time a song or two has passed (with me *performing* along with the artist, or course) I'm OK, again. I miss Europe, where I could *vent* with the loud pedal, every so often. Nothing blows off steam like a 170+mph BLAST down an open road, for a hundred miles, or so...

Still, why people all up in my biz, alluh time? DAY-um! Show up for work 2 minutes late and heads poppin' up all over teh cube farm like weasels from their hidey-holes. Mega Millions is almost up to 100mil. If I hit you're ALL invited to my no-speed-limit island...

Old 02-24-2005, 03:19 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

Still, why people all up in my biz, alluh time? DAY-um! Show up for work 2 minutes late and heads poppin' up all over teh cube farm like weasels from their hidey-holes.
Ghetto Shakespeare right here

Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
2nd Gear

yea some cops are cool i know couple in my town and i've raced with them before while they were on duty hehehhe, but still sometimes when they pull you over and start asking you all these questions you feel like you killed someone because whenever they pull you over you are guilty no matter what, and you dont even get a chance to explain your self, believe me i know (7 speeding tickets, 2 no seat belt, and 1 following too close) currently suspended license hehehehe, but my friend just recently got pulled over for lookin at the cop while he was on a red light waitin his light to turn green, the cop said he looked suspicious, but yea AWD i'm from europe man and i miss the roads where you dont have to worry about a lot of cops being on you, Peace

Old 02-24-2005, 04:40 PM

dude I'm pretty sure u have raced a cop while he was on duty do u know how much sh@t that they would be in if they were caught I'm going to definetly call [sm=bs.gif] on this one didn't happen