Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Who's worked the Night Shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:43 PM
3rd Gear
Default Who's worked the Night Shift

OK - so I've been at my plant for 2 years now and I've noticed that day manager positions have never been open for people to apply. If a day position opened up a manager on nights was quickly moved up and a new manager hired. So a night manager is being moved and soon the position will open up - I'm thinking that I want the job so that I can make it to the day shift at some point around a year is usual. Hours would be from 4:30pm to 3:00am(10 hour 4 days a week)mon, tue, wed, thur night. I'm married and my wife really doesn't like the idea but every time we try to think of reason I shouldn't do it we think of 10 reasons why I should.

So my question to you - how many of you have worked the night shift and what did you think of it.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: Who's worked the Night Shift

I've worked more graveyard shifts than I care to remember. In and outside of relationships. It can be hard, in a relationship. There are sacrifices that will have to be addressed, on BOTH sides. You'll hafta put extra effort into BEING THERE, when all you wanna do is catch up on yoor sleep. She'll hafta learn to accept that some things will HAVE to wait until you've caught up on your sleep. But, if it's a temporary solution to a path towards a desirable position, I say make the sacrifice. Just DON'T let it become permanent, is all.

It's good that you're talking about it with yer hunnie That's the BEST start!

Old 06-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Site Moderator

Yeah it gonna be a little difficult. I worked the night shift in Phoenix for homland security for 2 years while i went to school. It takes a lot out of ya after a while and i started to get burnt out after a while, I hope you can learn to cope with your family its gonna take a little more effort than before.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:14 PM
3rd Gear

No kids yet - so at least we wouldn't have that "burden" <I love kids but you know what I mean

Old 06-04-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Administrator

still, you'll be on functionally opposite schedules. On the plus side, this cud be fun if you two make it a practice to deliberately make some *special* time, for each other, and hold each other TO IT!!! Ummm... don't tell any of the guys I said that, OK?

Old 06-04-2007, 10:40 AM
1st Gear

Worked 12 - 7 am [:@][:'(]while in college only a couple of days a week and that is not the best idea in the world. After a year,I gave up.

Personally, I would never do it while married unless your wife goes to a similar shift. As a stepping stone? I.e. limited time only. Yes, it can be done with a lot of R&R on the week-end !!!

PS: if your wife is not 100% behind it, do not do it, killed some of my friends' marriage. Make certain you spend your free time well if you do decide to take the job.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:54 AM
4th Gear

Like said above "it does take a lot out of you", and you never get use to the schedule. (at least for me & the people I worked with) Jazz is also right (as usual) about spending your time wisely. You will be sleeping during the time you'd normally be doingstuff like shopping,cleaning, "special" time with the women etc. etc...... so stress levels will rise which is why a lot of relationships hit the rocks.

The only way I would go for the job is if I new I would get the desired position & my women was 100% behind me. If she has doubts now they will only grow with time.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:17 PM
Site Moderator/Ninja

have had to cover graveyard shifts -
11 pm to 11am..

[:'(]
never again

Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
3rd Gear

I'll be applying for the job the second HR get off their *** as posts it. Were both on the same page and realize that we will need to work at spending time together on weekend and such If I'll be getting off at 3am them I'll be heading right to bed when I get home, after a little "together" time. We both hate the idea but were both see that this is the path we have to take. Its not permanent, so we'll just have to survive it for a little while. Thanks for everyone's imput

Old 06-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Administrator

good luck!

Quick Reply: Who's worked the Night Shift