Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Who else here is a martial arts student?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Default Who else here is a martial arts student?

We've had a firearms thread, so how about unarmed self-defense? Anyone else out there a student or instructor? I am hoping to restart this spring when I get a few pressing things taken care of, and am hoping to get into Wing Chun kung fu. I have between 5 and 6 years of experience in Matsubayashi Ryu karate (an Okinawan style) and took a Washin-ryu course during college as well, and got an introduction to that style through the course. I liked both of them, but karate to me is too rectangular in its motions, whereas kung fu (at least the styles that I've seen and sparred against) were much more natural and fluid in their motions. I know that in the past, there were some private instructors in my area and I'm hoping that at least one of them is still teaching, because I can't wait to get back into it.

Anyone else out there a student? If so, what style or styles are you into? How long have you studied?

Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Who else here is a martial arts student?

never got into it, but a buddy of mine used to give me little lessons is Aikido. crazy stuff. i would never even think about messing with him

Old 02-12-2008, 06:49 PM
6th Gear

I'm personally not into it, but like Chaos my friends taught me a few things from Army Combatives training, so when I strike it's not pretty but it'll get the job done.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:01 PM
2nd Gear

I have been doing Wing Chun and Combat Tai Chi for just under two years now so Iam working onboth internal and external kung fu. If I had to choose between the two Wing Chun is hands down what I would choose wing chun. My sifu is what makes the class he is bad to the bone and teaches a "ganster fist" Kung fu.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:11 PM
2nd Gear

def something i would like getting into. a lot of Mua Tai (sp) around here, boston area i notice. there is a dojo like 30 feet from my apartment. mixed martial arts i think? waay too busy t start up anything right now. WWWAAAAAAAAYYYYYAAAAAAAAA jean claude style biatch

Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
3rd Gear

What do you need all of that sissy ballerina sh*t for? You're big right, just grab the other guy by the face...and then rip it off.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:21 PM
dan
2nd Gear

I studied Sikaran back in Australia for a few years when i was in early teens. I've been thinking about taking it or another style back up recently

Old 02-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Administrator

As chaos was saying about Aikido - it is some crazy stuff, and I wish our local place was still open. There was a local dojo teaching (among other styles) aikido and jujitsu, and I would've gone for that in a heartbeat. Aikido is good for guys like me (I'm 6'4", 245lbs), where it stresses striking strength and leverage vs acrobatics (like in tae kwon do). Hard to get my big *** moving like that lol. Muay thai is also a style I'd love to study but again, no one teaches it around here.

My brother studied with me when we were at the dojo, and as he's now a marine, he's got a few additional notches on his belt in this respect. In addition to the usual hand-to-hand training all marines get, he's got some experience with some of the special forces guys, both US and foreign. He was stationed in Iraq a few years ago and spent some time learning some Krav Magra from the Israelis, and according to him, that is some lethal sh*t. I can't wait to have him come and visit on vacation next time - we've already got some serious time scheduled for cross-training in this stuff.

That's cool that there are others out here that are into this - I didn't think I was the only one

Old 02-13-2008, 02:06 PM
2nd Gear

i guess aikido would be good for me too, lol
no flying *** dragon kicks for me.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

I did some training in Krav Maga... it was good.

Quick Reply: Who else here is a martial arts student?