Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

where to look for "right handed" cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:26 PM
1st Gear
Default where to look for "right handed" cars?

someone that lives in my area had an older nissan skyline imported about 10 years ago, and everytime i see them drive around i just want one so bad. i dont care if its a skyline or anything else, the part i envied is the steering wheel on the wrong side.

So i did some research, and long story short, it might take more than 20,000 dollars just to import a junker that i dont plan on driving. I, like most people, dont happen to have 20 grand in my pocket.

So second option is to buy a car that has A) already been imported and/or owned by an american or B) some people flip the steering on their older Integras or 240sx's.

However, I want a car that isn't typically available in america. i mean i could go for option B, but i might as well just buy a cheaper one from america instead. So I am hoping to find maybe an old Lancia or a Peugeot, something people here dont usually see.

Problem is, I don't know where to look. Are there websites? dealers? as far as dealers go, i live in st louis, but chicago isnt too far away, so if there are any up there as well i am willing to drive.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:01 AM
Administrator

First of all, parts of these "rare cars" are not gonna come cheap. If the car isn't sold in the US, you may have to import the part your self (or maybe with a help from some companies). This does not come cheap!

Where you are located would help a lot.

I live in CA and at times I see some Japanese cars for sale that are RHD.

http://www.motorex.net/motorex.html

Those guys are over in Cali. They were the first one to officially import Skylines to the US although there are more companies that do these sorta things nowadays.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:28 AM
5th Gear

motorex ftw.

like the fist pumper said, going RHD is not going to be cheap. you might as well just have somebody drive while you hold a steering wheel in the passenger seat.

for example
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIMKzESttlQ

Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Only RHD car I've ever seen around here is an oooold Jeep TJ. Jeep used to make RHD TJ's that were used by the USPS as mail trucks. Guy I saw bought one and fixed it up, jacked it up and put 38" Super Swampers under it. Thing was f*ckin AWESOME. In any event, RHD cars are neither cheap nor easy to do. Plus, who wants to shift with your left hand?

EDIT: I stand corrected. The Jeep used by the postal service was a DJ, not a TJ. didn't know there was such a thing

Last edited by CCA4; 09-16-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:35 PM
4th Gear

try canada, you sometimes get lucky and are able to import one

Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM
5th Gear

I've seen several RHD Skylines up here in Ontario. Not sure why you'd want one, though... if you're in a RHD car and driving on the RH side of the road, it'd make passing impossible (or very dangerous).

Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Administrator
Old 09-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Tech Slut

get a right hand drive motorcycle

Old 09-16-2010, 06:48 PM
1st Gear

in countries like england right-hand drive works because they drive on the left side of the road, not sure how it would work on the right side of the road. shifting with the left hand probably would feel weird too. I've seen a couple really old Rolls Royces around here that are right hand drives, and they are sooo beautiful.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Senior Administrator

www.Autitraderclassics.com may have some, if you're looking for something specific. Or, try: http://www.gullwingmotorcars.com/

They sometimes have RHD fixer-uppers