Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Where did Audi come up with it's names?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 02:32 PM
3rd Gear

Could just be random sh*t. I doubt BMW or MB needed a special reason for numerical models considering not ALL are relative to their displacement. And I only find it appropiate that A models (the most sold Audi's) are the same letter as their maker. Also note that A4=most of them ARE 4 cylinder
A6=almost ALL are 6 cylinder as well
A8= most are also V8

Old 09-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Banned

i think they're names after some highway numbers on the autobahn in germany. there is an A4, A6 and A8 highway on the 'bahn.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:06 PM
3rd Gear

^^^If that's true then its the best bet

Old 09-03-2008, 04:23 PM

hmm, this sparked me to do a lil research as well, not model lines, but Audi itself.

Horch ----> Listen ----> Audi

Horch, founder of Audi, was given the idea by his business partners 10 year old son to take his own name, Horch, and its German translation 'to Listen' then translate to Latin which brings us to Audio, or Audi.

Last edited by mctavish11; 09-03-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
SoCal Crew Member

So what about the Q7
Queen?
Quiet?
Quick?

Old 09-03-2008, 07:43 PM

What about Queef.....

A = Addicted
S = Sick
R = Rediculous

Old 09-03-2008, 09:36 PM
5th Gear

From Wiki, and I've read this version elsewhere as well...

The company traces its origins back to 1899 and August Horch. The first Horch automobile was produced in 1901 in Zwickau. In 1909, Horch was forced out of the company he had founded. He then started a new company in Zwickau and continued using the Horch brand. His former partners sued him for trademark infringement and a German court determined that the Horch brand belonged to his former company. August Horch was forced to refrain from using his own family name in his new car business. Horch immediately called a meeting at the apartment of Franz Fikentscher to come up with a new name for his company. During this meeting Franz's son was quietly studying Latin in a corner of the room. Several times he looked like he was on the verge of saying something but would just swallow his words and continue working, until he finally blurted out, "Father – audiatur et altera pars... wouldn't it be a good idea to call it audi instead of horch?". "Horch!" in German means "Hark!" or "listen", which is "Audi" in Latin (compare audible). The idea was enthusiastically accepted by everyone attending the meeting. [2] It is sometimes (incorrectly) believed that AUDI is a backronym (a reversed acronym) which stands for "Auto Union Deutschland Ingolstadt".

Theres a bunch of stuff about Audi's history on the audiusa.com site. Check it out. I was interested in the joining with NSU. Not that it will interest everybody, thats the part that stands out for me.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:49 PM

Very interesting achTTung, good research.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 PM
5th Gear

its the weird **** that interests me. Ask me stuff about turbo trims, and I haven't a clue, ask me about the obscure ****, and I'm all over it.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:03 PM

Yes, nice research achTTung, im the same as you, i like knowing obscure info. its easier to catch people off guard when you let loose.

here is the stuff from the audi.com website i found earlier today when i got bored and read this thread.

Audi is one of Germany’s oldest automobile manufacturers. Since 1932 the Audi emblem has been the ‘four rings’, which stand for its amalgamation with DKW, Horch and Wanderer to form Auto Union AG in Chemnitz. It supplied the widest range of passenger vehicles that the German industry could offer in the 1930s – from motorcycles to luxury saloon cars.
^Link to: http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/abo...ry/brands.html

and this:
Established by August Horch in 1909 in Zwickau, and trading since 1910 under the Audi name, which was a Latin translation of Horch (in German: ‘Listen!’), the company’s policy was to build cars mainly for the luxury category. Impressive successes in the International Austrian Alpine Rallies from 1912 to 1914 had long since confirmed the high performance and elite character of the brand.
^Link to: http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/abo...ands/audi.html

Pretty much the same thing. i just look at it from the standpoint, my professors will not let me quote Wikipedia as it is not always a credible source.

Last edited by mctavish11; 09-03-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Where did Audi come up with it's names?