Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

When did you first realize that your car wasn't fast (doesn't have to be current car)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 06:55 PM
Default When did you first realize that your car wasn't fast (doesn't have to be current car)

Okey dokey, I'll start....

My first car was a Ford Thunderbird circa 1988. It had the 5.0 and for a 16yr old kid, it was a pretty quick car (I was stoked to have a V8 at least). Anyway, compared to friends' 4cyl S-10s, Celicas, etc I had the quickest car, so I basically thought I was a badass. Now, fast forward to my first job and I became friends w/ a guy that was in his early 20s and he had a YZF-1000 (later became the R1). I was pretty ignorant to bikes to say the least.

One day after work I was at a stop light in the left turning lane and he's behind me. The light went green and I took off and merged into the right (slow) lane of the highway (my big *** boat of a car required me to take the turn wide to maximize speed). Anyway, I don't think I was doing more than 35 when "waaaaaaaaahhhhhh" a YZF-1000 flew by me in probably first gear. I then proceeded to watch it disappear on the horizon with my pride and also gas pedal still pinned to the floor. I couldn't believe it.

A few years later (I turned 18 and my mom could no longer say "no") I bought a Ninja ZX-6R. I then realized that bikes are waaaaaaaaaay too easy to go fast on and eventually sold it a year later before I killed myself.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:58 PM
4th Gear

smart man. I never owned a fast car but in highschool my mom had a caddy with a unique setup. pretty much like a new caddy cst-v series but older model. Lets just say when they let me take that car out any car on the road was game. I took out a number of vettes and gt mustangs werent even fun to race. It was a thrill. When u floored it you couldnt see the road cuz it leaned back to much.

Old 06-07-2009, 10:20 PM
6th Gear

my car is pretty fast, I'd say 130 is somewhat fast, now it is not quick by any means of the word, as soon as I drove my car for the first time I knew it was slow, but then again I'd done my research and when I got an Audi I wasn't complaining I am happy to have a nice cruiser with my 12v and it still got me in trouble with the law man (a small 25 over which technically was a 35 over in a 35...opps)

Old 06-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Tech Guru

The first car I drove was a '99 Lumina. It was a dog and I knew it. I didn't realize how truly slow it was until I drove my parent's truck. It was a '99 Suburban and for a 3 ton vehicle it hauled ***.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:15 AM

i realized how slow my 2.8 was one day when i was f+ckin around with a mk3 supra.
then he just downshifts and passed me like i was standing still
we pulled over and started talkin. he had swaped the twin turboed 1JZ in it...
...that actually made me feel alil better lol

but before that i had a 96 2wd tacoma 5sp 2.4cyl, it was really quick! but no top end watsoever.... plus it was more like a 1wd lol

Old 06-08-2009, 02:01 AM
Site Moderator

When i was 16, my first car was a 1984 gutless oldsmobile cutllass with a bad *** 3.8L in it. Before i even got the car home i pulled up next to a 94 GMC sierra and just got owned. The worst part was i didn't think he knew i was trying to race him

Old 06-08-2009, 02:18 AM

My first car, technically, was an 84 Subaru GL wagon, 4wd, thing was a gutless beast, tried not to drive it on the highway too much cuz anything over 55 and i was shakin and rattlin', i drove it on the beach and woods all the time, jumpin stuff, hitting things, it was hella fun.

I realized it was slow the first time i drove it and tried pulling out into the highway to head home, got honked at and flipped off... shortly after that it was covered in various surf stickers and i mainly drove it from my house, down some gravel/dune roads about a mile from my house to the beach and then rallied the hell out if it.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:58 PM
1st Gear

My first car was a 1992 Saturn SL2 and I knew that it was slow the first time I drove it. It was pretty easy to come to that conclusion when the only way you could actually get the tires to brake loose was to turn the steering wheel all the way, floor it and pop the clutch.... I then proceded to blow the engine a month later and then blow the transmission about a month after that. ...never buy a saturn again...

Old 06-09-2009, 10:35 PM

My first car was a 1980 Corolla SR-5 (actually a really fun car and pretty quick after I modded it) but before the mods a family friend came to visit and told me that her family had a "training car" that all the children learned to drive in. They all called it the "little putt-putt".

Old 06-11-2009, 03:16 AM
1st Gear

My first car was a Porsche 944 and when I put it away for the winter I got a pontiac sunbird to drive I knew it was slow when I went around the corner in the pouring rain stepped on it and couldn't spin the tyres.

Quick Reply: When did you first realize that your car wasn't fast (doesn't have to be current car)