Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
18?
32.00%
21?
64.00%
26?
0%
30?
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

What's a good age to start out on your own?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Senior Administrator
Default RE: What's a good age to start out on your own?

^^I think you may be off by a bit, maybe not... Here's my take on the demographic we represent. BEING an Audi forum probably give us a greater range of e-pinions because of teh reasons you stated. From trust-fund-babies to up-by-our-boot-strappers, and everything in-between. Audi is where we all intersect. In the Hondatech and other lower (no disrespect intended, but, c'mon, it is what it is...) end marques' you have a much, much more narrowly defined demographic, and a much lower intersection-point.

$0.02

Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 PM

I love my parents and they stay as a background influence so you can always call on them for support ( hopefully not financial ) because that means you failed, when you get older and the loss is inevitable then and only then will you realise the loss

Old 11-16-2007, 01:43 PM
4th Gear

When it comes to moving out, and being independent; coming to terms with what is out there in the world. I don't believe there is a "right age".
As stated before there are so many variables; such as personality, maturity level, family, financial status, and much more.

I also don't believe it's fair to label a generation.
Instead of complaining about what these kids are, or are not doing; there needs to be more support. Not necessarily financial support, but instead positive motivation. Not trying to sound cliche, but if there is will, there IS a way. Kids need to know that they have all of the potential in the world. Regardless of social class/financial status. They need to believe in themselves, and have the confidence and family support to get out there and do it! Which is not an easy task to accomplish, for anyone. I do think the confidence some have is being brought about in the wrong way. Let me explain... To be confident in knowing you can achieve your dreams, and to be confident that you have the ability to whine your way out of a situation; are two very different types of confidence.

For those of you here that are parents; you've already shown that you care a great deal about your kid's future. Keep encouraging your kids about the good decisions, and positive choices they make. Let them know that you're proud, and believe in them.

In the end what matters is that you(your kids, friend, family member) got through it! That you're stronger now because of all you have endured. That you possess the skills necessary to help others in a non-judgemental way. To motivate and encourage in the decisions that they have made. For example: My brother who's 27, some of you may remember the ordeal my family had gone through not too long ago. He has decided to continue his life as a drug addict, and continue to put my family at risk. My family has decided to accept that. With all judgments aside, what they are doing is correct. In the fact that they support the choices he has made for himself, after explaining the rewards and consequences he may face. The risk they have taken by that was their own decision. My point is to be factual, tell of the positives and negatives, and allow them to make their own decisions. You don't have to agree with the decision(s), but you do have to accept them. You also need to make further decisions on your own based from that. For example: I had the choice to stay at home with my family and be at risk with them, or to remove myself from the potentially hazardous situation... I moved out.

While my examples may be a bit extreme; they're just to show that you always have a choice. Furthermore that you do not need to compromise your own morals based upon someone else's choices. No matter what you may be faced with in life, believing in yourself will get you farther than anything else.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:45 PM

leaving the nest doesn't matter as long as your comfortable with it and dont do it over love at 16yrs old that's false and sexual only and you will see that in later years if you live that long

Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm 20 goin on 21 in a week. I currently own a Toyota MR2 supercharged thats tricked out,3 bikes a ZX-6e for commuting,a tricked out TL1000s for a nice good lookin bike and a GSXR 750 for a track bike. I'm sellin the Mr2 tommorrow and getting an A4 this weekend with my own cash. I have a pilots liscence workin on gettin an instrument endorsement and eventually work my way up to a trans atlantic flying airline captain. I pay for my bikes,cars,school and personal needs myself. Yes,i do live at home but not a vehicle,flight hour or dollar was ever given to me. I work from 7am to 4pm Mon-saturday at a job where i'm the youngest by at least 10 years and am second in command of a construction/home theather company that does 9 million a year in buissness had the job for 2 years got started 3 years ago and worked my way up fast, go to school full time at night M-Th from 6:30pm to 10pm,and go to the gym after school. On sundays i fly. I never have and never will owe anyone money.So now u know where i'm comin from. I didn't mean to make it seem like i was calling u a bad father if thats how it sounded. I know how hard it is for a divorced father to influence his kids as my parents are divorced and have been for the last 14 years. In your position the best and probably only thing u can do if your still on amicable terms with the ex, talk to her about what to do with the son and you both talk to him and tell him your putting your foot down. Coming from someone your sons age and having friends in the same situation some people just can't rationaly think for themselves and at some point no matter how much u care u must let them chose their path. Good luck.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
1st Gear

I turned 21 this year and am still at home. The agreement with my parents, and the same goes for my 4 siblings, is that we are welcome to live at home so long as we are going to school. But we pay our own way for tuition, cars, insurance, gas, and anything else we need. They put a roof over our head and feed us so that we can escape school without any student debt. During high school i managed to do all the coursework necessary to get a $20+ an hour job lifeguarding and a salaried summer swim club coaching gig that has enabled me to have zero student debt and my 00 a4. I realized quickly that anything I wanted would have to be bought and paid for by myself. I will be leaving my parents house before the summer this year, and having learned how to make, save and budget (that one took a while haha) my money I think that now I'm equipped to strike out on my own. As far as I'm concerned, I had a sweet deal being able to live without rent payments while at school, and while I could have been on my own at 18, I chose to stay at home and wait until I was done school.