Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: A poll
18?
32.00%
21?
64.00%
26?
0%
30?
4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

What's a good age to start out on your own?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: What's a good age to start out on your own?

i'm 21. college drop out if you will. (though i may return). unlike most bums my age, i am a nerd but i didn't drop out of college bc of that (being a bum) but sought the need to rethink my whole career path

as of right now, i have a pretty decent paying job in commercial loan operations (well, a baller amongst my friends ), bought my own audi/mods and had my own apartment with everything in there payed for by me. i thank the lord everyday for what ive bestowed upon myself. yet at the same time i do enjoy the sins of life like gambling/partying/ etc.

i was out on my own at 19 paying for everything. i'm back at home bc the moms need my help (morally/financially). but im not gonna bore you with my fuking life story, but i must say, i dont think there is a 'perfect' age to be independent. its all in the perseverance in an individual and the effort they make themselvesin life. [&:]

Old 11-15-2007, 08:50 PM

I don't think there is a "good" age to start out on your own. It really all depends on maturity, responsibility, and financial independence. If you're mature enough to handle being out on your own (with no supervision), responsible enough to take care of yourself (work, school, etc...), and financially stable to be able to afford living on your own, you should be OK. I moved out of my parents' house at the age of 21 (my own choice), and got an apartment with a friend to help offset the costs of living on your own (no easy feat in NorCal). I got a good-paying job to help put myself through school, and came across some money that allowed me to put a down payment on my first house.

I just turned 33, own my 2nd home, have put myself through school, and have a good-paying job. I have NO school loans whatsoever. The only debt that I have is my mortgage, car, and a couple of credit cards. I was able to achieve this through hard work, and hardly any financial help from my parents. Currently, my fiance and I are planning our wedding in Hawaii next June, and we are going to pay cash for everything. We will also pay for our families to fly to Hawaii, and will put them up in a 4-star hotel for a week, all at our expense.

So, to answer your question, I go back to my first two sentences. If you can take care of yourself financially, be responsible for yourself & your own actions, and mature enough to handle living on your own, then there is no "good" age to start out on your own. It will vary for everybody.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:11 PM
4th Gear

My 20 yr old cousin is a fvcking bumb born with a silver spoon in his mouth. His parents spoiled him, gave him all the oppurtunities to succeed yet he dropped out of highschool. He sits at home smoking weed and partying with his equally dumb friends. He expects his older sister and parents to support him while waiting for his inheritants. I'm generalizing here but kids nowadays expect things to be handed to them. It's not just the wealthy either, its evident throughout the social classes. It all boils down to the way parents teach their kids responsibility. Some of us like myself know what its like to be selfsufficient from a young age. My parents didn't have much so anything I got was earned, not just rewarded. I went to college, dropped out ($$$), joined the military, now back in school. At 24 I have a house, a car, and no dept. I think the age depends on maturity and family wealth.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:12 PM
1st Gear

I was something over 15 when I was kicked out of home. My parents couldnot afford to feed me so I lived on my own and struggling during when I was in school.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:26 AM
1st Gear

It is totally different for everyone. I am now 21 and pretty much moved out of my parents house 7 months before I turned 18. I am the youngest of 4, the oldest being 28 now. My parents weren't happy about it. But I like to see myself as the "smarter" one. I can say that out of all of my siblings, I have done the most with my life. I have lived on my own, lived in a few different states, better job then all of them and so on. I seen how it was for my sisters and brother growing up. When old enough parents give us each a car. Its paid off and everything. Being the youngest however I got to see that my parents used it to their advantage ( Taking it away when they felt like it and so on) I told myself that I will never let them buy me a car and I havent. I have never LET my parents financially support me. I started my first job when Iwas 15 so i would have my own money.I come from a decently wealthy family towhere everythinghas been paid for for my brother and sisters.In result of this, My Brother (28) is the biggest loser, no vehicle, lives at home, no job. My sister is married with 2 kids and stills finds herself living at home being supported by my parents. and My other sister just works and lives at home. I am not trying to talk negatively on ANYONE but I can say that I have been sooo much better off and became SUCH a responsible person at such a young age and I don't regret any of my life decisions. I have been through hard times but its has all been good in the end. All of my family members live in Louisiana and I am now in Washington state. I started with a crappy mazda miata at the age of 17 and parents never bought it for me but now have my 03 a4 and I love it! And after YEARSof renting apartments. Finally own a house! All you have to do is WORK HARD and actually have the will power to do it.

So obviously its going to be the individuals decision. I made my decision to move out based on the fact that I seen how my brother and sisters life was going.

Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 AM

May i ask what's wrong with snow boarding and how is smoking pot worse then alcohol? I'm sure you drink. The not goin to school workin part time is unacceptable though.Maybe your son is depressed over the divorce or for some otherreasons you may be able to help him get through. Try a bit more parenting and see what happens.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:47 AM
2nd Gear

Old 11-16-2007, 10:14 AM
4th Gear

Without actually reading the other posts I would say when they are financially able. I believe in pushing them to get out and do something even it its at the local McD's to gain some work ethics. My parents always said you work you can stay for a bit but if you jack around and party all the time you're out. We were also expected to have a goal on what we wanted to start a career in and actively try for it and better our selfs. Now at 27, 24, 21 we are all out on our own. The 24yr old has a 2yr old and is married with his own house, the 21yr old has a kid on the way with his own place and me no kids but im on my own.

Old 11-16-2007, 11:58 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: bob12312357

May i ask what's wrong with snow boarding and how is smoking pot worse then alcohol? I'm sure you drink. The not goin to school workin part time is unacceptable though.Maybe your son is depressed over the divorce or for some otherreasons you may be able to help him get through. Try a bit more parenting and see what happens.
Actually, Bob, to answer you first question there's not a damn thing in my opinion, honest.

But when that's you're only motivation and no means of supporting it - then I have extreme issues, as a father, with it.

Replace it with needlepoint and cooking. Same thing, except he might be gay - but that would not be the issue, would it?

My point, as I'm sure it is for most in my generation - I don;t know your age so I don't know where you fall, is that go out and have all the fun you want when you can afford it. A while back, Ican't recall who the AF member was, but hethat was talking about getting a turbo upgrade for his car and was wanting to max out credit cards and such to attain this goal. Almost everyone told him to pass (and hopefully he did) and concentrate on the fact he was jobless instead.

One of my greatest fears, as with any father - and maybe youif you ever decide to become one yourself, if you're aren't already -is that I'll be getting calls from my son at the age of 30+ begging for cash or worse, bail money, because he can't support himself.Most fathers want their children to attain greater things than they did and try to impart their knowledge to help guide themas bestthey can. With my son - his mother and I divorced when he was 2 - he lived in Colorado under his mother's influence and I failed miserably as a father because I didn't have a greater roll in his life as I do now with my youngest.

But, not to go into more detail, the same thing happened to me - my father was nonexistent in my life and I still made better choices than my oldest does today. I knew at a very young age that if I was going to make something of my life - the onus was on me and me alone to do it.

But, mate, there are numerous ways to make a living without killing yourself and make enough bank to affordto take vacations to go snowboarding at exotic locations or buy the best smoke you can. But making a living is what everyone needs to do first.

That's my issue and that doesn't seem to be focus with so called Millennial generation.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:18 PM
SoCal Crew Member

i think this is the wrong forums to ask people if they are mature and financially stable. i mean cmon, it's audiforums. most of the young people here come from either a rich family or have the financial stability who have made it out on their own bcthey stepped up their gameand can afford an 'audi'.

now if you ask the same questionat the same age group on, oh i dont know... HONDATECH, i'm sure you will find alot of opposite answers bcthemajoritystruggle to afford those cheap rota rims on their minimum wage salaries

Quick Reply: What's a good age to start out on your own?