Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

whats double clutching?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 04:27 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: whats double clutching?

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

You're missing the point. First off, the act of you physically double clutching takes a lot more time than the miniscule delay caused by the synchros doing what they were put into the transmission to do. The synchros do not increase the revs of the engine, they increase or decrease the revs of the transmission layshaft only. That takes milliseconds. I promise that you cannot double clutch faster than the synchros cansynch.Secondly, double clutching and heel/toe downshifting are two entirely separate entities, completely unrelated and undependant upon each other. You can heel/toe without double clutching. I'm not sure why you think that double clutching is required to heel/toe downshift or blip the throttle.
SilverSeven,

While double-clutching downshifts is certainly un-necessary in a car with a synchro gearbox, it's not a waste of time. It doesn't take any more time than waiting for the synchro to spin up the layshaft. Actually, I assert it takes less time to select the next lower gear if done properly. If you watch the video again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-3xIZK-Bk (I am the driver in that video), you can see that I'm not really even pausing in neutral. As the gearshift lever passes through neutral is when I'm momentarily letting the clutch out (not all the way, just enough to spin up the layshaft). The benefits are minor, but they are there: smoother shifter movement into the lower gear (no waiting for the synchro) and less synchro wear.

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

And based on your last statement, if that's what you want to use double clutching for, that's perfectly ok, but let's be honest and say that it's a longevity orlimp-to-the-tranny-shoptechnique, not a performance technique. Double clutching might prolong the life of your synchros. It might save your transmission from damage in the event that the synchros go out. But it will not under any circumstance make youget from Point A to Point Bfaster.
I do agree that double-clutching won't make a person get from Point A to Point B any faster, but they won't be any slower, either. Ultimately, downshifting time is dictated by the duration of the braking zone. Since both methods take about the same time to execute, laptime isn't effected by either method. So, same laptime with synchro wear or without synchro wear. It all comes down to driver preference. But I wouldn't say that saving your equipment with no performance loss is useless.

Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
www.garysheehan.com