Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

whats double clutching?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP
Default RE: whats double clutching?

^^ don't be hatin on me. i use the paddles occasionally and could successfullythrow your head against the head rest if i needed to.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: S4sweetee

^^ don't be hatin on me. i use the paddles occasionally and could successfullythrow your head against the head rest if i needed to.
She could even do it with teh car ON, too!!! Don't MESS wit the Kell...

Old 02-12-2008, 02:56 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: SilverSeven

Exactly. A car with synchros will see zero benefit from double clutching.In any modern car, double clutching is a complete waste of time. And I mean complete waste of time in the sense that Paris Hilton is a complete waste of life. Just like that.
I agree with you, everyday normal driving does not need double clutching.

However..

Why do the racecar drivers still do it? It's because of weight distribution.

Simply put, when you shift down from say.. 5th to 3rd.. and you don't double clutch, you will immediately notice your car's front diving down the instant you release the clutch. What this does, if even in the slighest degree, is shift the weight of the car forwards, which leads to increased understeer, which, as most of us Audi owners know, SUCKS. (Damn heavy cars [:@])

Now if you DO double clutch between these two gears while heel-toeing through a corner, the car won't see any shifting of weight other than what you the driver wants because of the rev matching you're doing while double clutching. The transmission's synchros don't need to work as hard when shifting between the gears, thus keeping the front end level and weight distribution even.

There's a whole website of science behind this, I'll see if I can find it in a bit..

I can say that I've taken the exact same turn at the exact same speed both double clutching and not, and there's definitely a difference. But really, there's no need in daily driving for it.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

i think i just got dumber by watching this guy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bb2...eature=related

oh and BUBBLES RULES!!!!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: rhynolite

Exactly. A car with synchros will see zero benefit from double clutching.In any modern car, double clutching is a complete waste of time. And I mean complete waste of time in the sense that Paris Hilton is a complete waste of life. Just like that.
Simply put, when you shift down from say.. 5th to 3rd.. and you don't double clutch, you will immediately notice your car's front diving down the instant you release the clutch. What this does, if even in the slighest degree, is shift the weight of the car forwards, which leads to increased understeer, which, as most of us Audi owners know, SUCKS. (Damn heavy cars [:@])

Now if you DO double clutch between these two gears while heel-toeing through a corner, the car won't see any shifting of weight other than what you the driver wants because of the rev matching you're doing while double clutching. The transmission's synchros don't need to work as hard when shifting between the gears, thus keeping the front end level and weight distribution even.
you can heel toe without double clutching. double clutching is useless in our audi's unless you fvcked up your synchros

Old 02-12-2008, 07:22 PM
4th Gear

dibs.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:32 PM
2nd Gear

Why do the racecar drivers still do it? It's because of weight distribution.
What racecar driver does it? I have road-raced since I was 14 (fake DL and all) and not only did I never ever double clutch, but I never met anyone who did either. Of course, they are all running production cars with synchro trannies. Unless you have a non-synchro tranny, double clutching will do nothing but add to your lap time.

Double clutching has nothing at all to do with weight distribution. And I mean nothing at all in the sense that Paris Hilton has nothing at allto do with rational thought. Just like that.

Double clutching affects only the process of selecting the gear. Whenever your car is rolling, the transmission side of the clutch is spinning a certain speed based on the gear you have selected. In a non-synchro vehicle, when you take the car out of one gear, the layshaft is still spinning the speed it was in one gear, but it needs to be spinning a different speed to mesh with the next gear you select, which you have to do by yourself. In a synchro equipped car, the transmission automatically meshes the speed of the layshaft with the speed of whatever gear you are trying to select. Double clutching does nothing that the transmission does not do on it's own. Sure you save a little wear on the synchro mechanism itself, but that's what it's there for, and very few of them go out on a normal car unless you blow a 2-3 shift and hit 5th accidentally. Then you'll overload the synchros and can boust one up.

I can say that I've taken the exact same turn at the exact same speed both double clutching and not, and there's definitely a difference. But really, there's no need in daily driving for it.
If you noticed a difference, it's because you weren't heel/toe shifting properly. It's that simple. It's not an opinion thing,double clutching hasnothing to do with what happens as you release the clutch,it physically CAN NOT have anything to do with it. The only thing that double clutching does is speed up the layshaft to match the new gear. As soon as the car is in gear, the layshaft speed is matching the new gear, and anything you might have done while double clutching is over and done with.

If your car drops the nose on a down-shift, it's because you didn't increase the revs enough during your heel/toe. If it's any different when you double clutch, then that's because you had more time to get your revs up during the shift.

Practice the heel/toe more and you'll find that what you thought not double clutching was doing was actually a result of you doing the heel/toe wrong.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:15 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Double clutching affects only the process of selecting the gear. Whenever your car is rolling, the transmission side of the clutch is spinning a certain speed based on the gear you have selected. In a non-synchro vehicle, when you take the car out of one gear, the layshaft is still spinning the speed it was in one gear, but it needs to be spinning a different speed to mesh with the next gear you select, which you have to do by yourself. In a synchro equipped car, the transmission automatically meshes the speed of the layshaft with the speed of whatever gear you are trying to select. Double clutching does nothing that the transmission does not do on it's own. Sure you save a little wear on the synchro mechanism itself, but that's what it's there for, and very few of them go out on a normal car unless you blow a 2-3 shift and hit 5th accidentally. Then you'll overload the synchros and can boust one up.
Right, I understand what you're saying about it not helping because of modern day synchros and all that, but heel-toe shifting aside, I think that it would be very very hard to pull a 5th to 3rd or 5th to 2nd around a turn in any sort of a hurry without double clutching and blipping the throttle to increase the revs. Without it, there would be a delay because of the synchros trying to rev match for you, instead of bypassing this process and doing it yourself.

I found this video interesting too, an M5 driving instructor talking about double clutching: http://youtube.com/watch?v=jAvOOLYPmMM

So he somewhat proves your point, but I think that it's still a good skill to have in case one of your synchros does go out or you want to prolong their little metallic lives.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:30 PM
5th Gear

Right, I understand what you're saying about it not helping because of modern day synchros and all that, but heel-toe shifting aside, I think that it would be very very hard to pull a 5th to 3rd or 5th to 2nd around a turn in any sort of a hurry without double clutching and blipping the throttle to increase the revs. Without it, there would be a delay because of the synchros trying to rev match for you, instead of bypassing this process and doing it yourself.
rev-match without double clutching

Old 02-12-2008, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear

Without it, there would be a delay because of the synchros trying to rev match for you, instead of bypassing this process and doing it yourself.
You're missing the point. First off, the act of you physically double clutching takes a lot more time than the miniscule delay caused by the synchros doing what they were put into the transmission to do. The synchros do not increase the revs of the engine, they increase or decrease the revs of the transmission layshaft only. That takes milliseconds. I promise that you cannot double clutch faster than the synchros cansynch.Secondly, double clutching and heel/toe downshifting are two entirely separate entities, completely unrelated and undependant upon each other. You can heel/toe without double clutching. I'm not sure why you think that double clutching is required to heel/toe downshift or blip the throttle.

And based on your last statement, if that's what you want to use double clutching for, that's perfectly ok, but let's be honest and say that it's a longevity orlimp-to-the-tranny-shoptechnique, not a performance technique. Double clutching might prolong the life of your synchros. It might save your transmission from damage in the event that the synchros go out. But it will not under any circumstance make youget from Point A to Point Bfaster.

Quick Reply: whats double clutching?