Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

what style is your car? racer? rally? or just to look like a G

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 01:26 PM
5th Gear

Safe, reliable, comfortable, fun, and great to look at. Lots of reasons to buy an Audi.

I like the WRX... I'd love to have one in the garage, if I had a 6 car garage. I'd take it out on snowy days and beat the snot out of it.

And MT's aren't just for racing... haha, they are just more fun, and well... better. Winter driving with a MT is sooo much better. I hate driving auto in deep snow or ice. Manual offers much needed control.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:12 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by UpstateNYA4
Being a 2.8, mine's going to go more for looks and style (and corners) than for straight-line running. Doesn't bother me - I've had a road-going ballistic missile in the past, and this is different for me. I haul my kids in the A4, so it makes no sense to try and build the bejeezus out of it (regardless of the engine in it). But I bet that with the suspension built properly, cars that would take me in a straight line may find the tables turned when the road starts to twist.

my brother works at Amphenol, drives a black '94 968 with the M030 package. guy he works with there has a blown mustang putting down ~500 horses apparently. Always bugging my brother to race, my brother says he will, providing he can pick the road. Mustang guy always walks away because he has no chance on anything but a straight, and he knows it.

I'd really like to race my brother though. I'm probably making around 235hp, he's making 245. Cars are a bit different being that he has a n.a. 3 liter and rear wheel drive, and i have a 1.8T and AWD, so based on cars alone i dont know who'd be faster, but I do know Im willing to push harder/be more aggressive.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Right now its only for the weekends, but as soon as I get my settlement it'll be fully raced out.Complete engine build, roll bars,body mods,the whole 9 yards. I just might even try to make it a hard top conv. which in my opinion would look sick!!!

Old 11-02-2008, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by matt duarte
what's the diference between mechanical AWD and what the WRX has? I defently like the audi a little better than the WRX.. I see the WRX as more of a 'kid' car..

anyone have a audi in metallic light blue color? maybe with black rims or something cause the audi I'm lookin at is that color and I'm not to sure about it.. don't want it to look like a grandma car you know..

Hey, my A4 is a light green-ish blue color, check the sig. If you really have found one this color, its an extremely rare color, and it took a while for it to grow on me, but I love it now. I've got Anthracite wheels, and I turn heads and get compliments everywhere I go.

As far as what my car is used for, its a race car/ daily driver for me. Autocross/Mid-Ohio on Sunday, commute on Monday, and it behaves like a champ. All the mods I've done have been in the interest of improving all aspects of the car equally, yet subtly.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by achTTung
my brother works at Amphenol, drives a black '94 968 with the M030 package. guy he works with there has a blown mustang putting down ~500 horses apparently. Always bugging my brother to race, my brother says he will, providing he can pick the road. Mustang guy always walks away because he has no chance on anything but a straight, and he knows it.

I'd really like to race my brother though. I'm probably making around 235hp, he's making 245. Cars are a bit different being that he has a n.a. 3 liter and rear wheel drive, and i have a 1.8T and AWD, so based on cars alone i dont know who'd be faster, but I do know Im willing to push harder/be more aggressive.
Who'd he buy the Porsche from? Was it from a private owner? A guy I work with sold a black 968 and bought his '01 S4 (which is now for sale, as it's been replaced by a 2006 A6 4.2q).

No doubt that if that Mustang has to turn, he's done for. Fast in a straight line, useless for anything else. And you running against him would be an interesting race - a fun run to make would be Rte 26 (technically, Rte 267) past the PA border - 20 plus miles of twisting roads, with a 0.8 mile straightaway near the end. I used to tear through that in the Z.

I'm thinking that if you start with a decent straightaway and get into the turns after that, he may have the edge - that 3.0 is torquey as hell. Then you'll have to reel him in through the turns. Once you catch him, stop at that point, turn around, and run it the reverse direction - see if you can put enough distance on him in the turns that he can't use the straightaway at the end to catch you. It'll show whether your car's strength in the curves exceeds his strength in the straight

Any plans to head back to Binghamton anytime soon?

Old 11-03-2008, 07:34 AM
3rd Gear

MT's are just more interesting to drive. Technically neither WRX/STI or Audis are supposedto have BOV's. Cool noise, not much else. Ill pass. I drove an 07 WRX across country and thought it felt nice, not the same build quality or fit and finish that the S4 has. No leather Seats or sun roof but you dont feel as bad whippin it especially on dirt. But make no mistake audis are nice rally cars, you just probably dont want to use your street car to do it...

I have an Audi S4 with the twin turbo v6, its got a borla exhaust, retune, suspension, wheels, clutch&fw, short shifter, bla bla bla bla. Basically im a 19 year old boy who cant go fast enough and i believe the mods reflect that. I only expect my car to run on tarmac/asphalt only because of tires, suspension height, rock chips, pot holes, trees, etc. I like to autocross often and might do a few track days too next year. Im not so much interested in the 1/4 mile and id want a dedicated car to rallycross in so i could beat the **** out of it. Mostly its a street car and its gotta look fly.

My car

Name:  IMG_0115.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  126.7 KB

My dream

Name:  RS4sedan282.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  125.6 KB

Old 11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
5th Gear

Wasn't a local car. We trailered it up from Dover, DE. '94 968 with the M030 and limited slip rear end like he has is somewhat rare. I hear something like 500 were sold in the US. Car is MINT.

Probably be some time before I'm in Binghamton again. Maybe Christmas time, no doubt I'll need to do some last minute shopping.

BTW, that Mustang can break them loose from a 30 mph roll up thru 3rd gear. Point and shoot for sure.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by achTTung
Wasn't a local car. We trailered it up from Dover, DE. '94 968 with the M030 and limited slip rear end like he has is somewhat rare. I hear something like 500 were sold in the US. Car is MINT.

Probably be some time before I'm in Binghamton again. Maybe Christmas time, no doubt I'll need to do some last minute shopping.

BTW, that Mustang can break them loose from a 30 mph roll up thru 3rd gear. Point and shoot for sure.
Gotcha. As for Binghamton, if you're here make sure you buzz me in advance - maybe grab a beer after getting the cars sideways in the snow?

As for the 'stang, definitely point and shoot...or point and crash. As Top Fuel drivers have said, If you have to steer, you're in deep sh*t. Don't think I'd want to try and turn a 500hp live-axle car with all the sophistication of a cereal spoon (and less rigidity), especially when my foot's in it deep.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Guru

My ride's purely for style.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:48 PM
5th Gear

will do. totally up for a beer or two.

Quick Reply: what style is your car? racer? rally? or just to look like a G