Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

What I woke up to this morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Angry What I woke up to this morning

Let me preface my tale by saying that for the good part of 20 years now, I have been a strong advocate for not leaving ANYTHING of value in your car, let alone in plain sight inside your car. I NEVER leave anything out, nor do I have any aftermarket electronics of any kind drawing attention to my car. You could say I prefer a stealth and seriously understated Audi, as you can see by my lack of tint on the windows. I aim to provide ZERO reason for someone to break in to my car. That said....

My neighbor woke me up at 6am to tell me my car had been burglarized. Lovely. I shot down to the garage, and the passenger window was smashed out entirely, the glove box was open, as well as the center console, THREE PAIRS of SUNGLASSES were NOT TAKEN: a pair of Revos were left in the aftermath on my seat, and a second pair or Revos and a pair of Oakleys were left in the glove box. My Leatherman multi-tool was the only item taken. Motherf*#4ers!!
Name:  PICT0002.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  28.7 KB
Name:  PICT0003.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  27.4 KB

There's the Oakleys and a pair of Revos...
Name:  PICT0006.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  21.7 KB

Then, I contacted USAA to report the accident, and they informed me they have a glass program with Safelite, so I bit. They came to my apartment and changed the window out in one hour. Very nice.

Except for the 2" nipple ding left on the door by the technician while performing the repair. I know this is the case, because I took photos of the damage this morning that clearly show the ding was not there at that time, plus, the ding clearly originated from the inside of the door, as it pokes outward. I could KILL right now. My baby is literally flawless.
Name:  PICT0013.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  27.6 KB

Notice my "pointed toe" Rainbow sandal...
Name:  PICT0016.jpg
Size:  26.4 KB

Besides the new ding I now have to deal with, and the $230 out of pocket for the window replacement, my only regret is not having gone to my body shop in the first place to replace the window. I have to go there now, anyway, to get a repair estimate, then again to get the work done, which is two trips. Another big gripe: the Audi body shop would have used a factory replacement window, and not a different brand---no biggie in terms of quality, I'm sure they're the same, but it's obvious that the window's been replaced, telltale of the break-in, and with my OCD, it's gonna BUG!!!
Name:  PICT0024.jpg
Size:  25.7 KB

OEM:
Name:  PICT0025.jpg
Size:  22.9 KB

From now on, I am leaving my glove box and center consoles open and empty when I park my car, hopefully preventing a future break-in, not to mention a fruitless break-in that cost me a couple of days and many dimes $$$.

That's my gripe for the day. It's beer-thirty, time to drink.

Last edited by Flarika; 08-26-2008 at 03:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 PM
3rd Gear

Ouch...

Old 08-07-2008, 11:24 PM
4th Gear

thats my biggest fear, waking up and coming out to a vandalized car... sucks man, good luck fixing it up

Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Administrator

I'd definitely be popping a few down after that - drink up bro, you should.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:48 PM
5th Gear

That sucks, man. At least they didn't see the OEM head unit as being a thing of value...

Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 PM
Site Moderator

Low lifes. At least you didn't walk out to a missing car.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:53 PM

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention that THANKFULLY....there was no vandalism done to my car, besides the smashed window, and they halfway broke the latch for the center console; apparently it wasn't too easy to figure out how to open.... And I always leave the glove box unlocked, because in a break-in, it WILL get broken into, so you're better off sparing the expense of replacing a glove box in the process. Anyway, at least the bandits had some level of decency in their sins, and spared further vandalism.

....another beer, please.....

Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by onepoint8tee
Low lifes. At least you didn't walk out to a missing car.
YES! THAT is what I should be the most thankful for. Truly, my biggest fear beyond burglary is vehicle theft, where they joyride the sh*t out of your ride, to the brink of a total loss, then it is recovered days later by police and returned to you. Nightmare.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:55 PM

that sucks man at least you didnt leave you're wallet are something like that out there. I lost my wallet once and had to spend ALL kinds of time canceling cards getting back my licenses, medical, etc, oh yeah also the money

Old 08-08-2008, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by acollicott
that sucks man at least you didnt leave you're wallet are something like that out there. I lost my wallet once and had to spend ALL kinds of time canceling cards getting back my licenses, medical, etc, oh yeah also the money
That would really suck. Keys, wallet, and cash are my holy trinity, but it would suck to lose them nonetheless; I can only imagine the credit card nightmare. Or having my Blackberry stolen. Yowza!!! It has all of those optional security measures / passwords, yet I don't use them. I have backup, but would hate for all my info to be in a stranger's hands. My Blackberry shall therefore join my holy trinity and form my new holy quattro.

yuk! yuk! yuk!!!

Quick Reply: What I woke up to this morning