Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

What exactly is the "e-brake trick" for DVD head units?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Administrator
Default What exactly is the "e-brake trick" for DVD head units?

OK, I've been trying all kinds of combinations in Search to try and find the info on how to bypass the video lockout on a DVD/monitor head unit. I found references to the "e-brake trick" but not an actual description for what that is. Is it written up anywhere? I have a non-gyro unit (unlike the AVIC units I've been reading about that supposedly can't be bypassed) that I picked up tonight at a steal of a price, but I don't want to do the whole wiring into the parking brake and not be able to play a DVD while in motion. Does the parking brake wire just get grounded? Do I tie it to 12V? Or is there some combination of wiring tricks that I need to do for the head unit to function fully while in motion?

Sorry if I just didn't hit on the right combination of search terms and missed the info, but I'm starting to go a little cross-eyed trolling the forums. Anyone out there know the answer or where the info is in a forum or FAQ somewhere?

TIA...

Old 04-29-2007, 12:30 AM
3rd Gear
Default RE: What exactly is the "e-brake trick" for DVD head units?

just go to best buy or circuit city, throw the dude twenty bucks on the side and its done.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:39 AM

Hmmm...***looks at sig and wondering WWJD***...that is something Chef would do.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:22 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: AteUrV8

just go to best buy or circuit city, throw the dude twenty bucks on the side and its done.

Hahaha idk what your talking about [&:].......

As for the question... yes all you need to do is have it connected to a exbrake or a 12volt source that is hooke upto a switch....
So run the e brake wire off the unit to a accessory wire... like iginition or something then loop it to a toggle switch. after u start the car then set the toggle switch to on and it will act liek a pulse and make the unit think your engangine you e-brake..... IF you using a JENSEN or PHASE LINEAR indash screen, then you need to pulse the wire multiple times....

I.e. Onnn for a second, off a second, on a second, off a second, and keep doing that 4 times (total) then leave the switch in the on position and the screen should activate.... Sometime that part is a PITA to do but like i said is only need on a JENSE or PHASE LINEAR unit.....

So overall concensus..... YEs it is extremely easy to do especially on a non gyro unit, if you have any issues get at my AIM or just post back on here.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Thanks, but actually I ended up finding it after all. As for CC or Best Buy, nah - rather do my own installs, just never did a/v in a car before and wanted to make sure that I was setting all of it up correctly

Old 04-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Don't you mean connect to a ground source? That is the way it was described in several places that I read last night...

Old 04-29-2007, 02:49 PM
4th Gear

yeah I have a Jensen Indash DVD player and all I did was take the e-brake wire from the head unit and grounded it to a bolt in the car. And it works all the time now. Try that and see what happens!

Josh

Old 04-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Administrator

I'll have to try that. I have the unit installed and tuned for my system, and CD and radio work fine, but it won't play DVDs at all right now. When I put in a DVD, the warning screen comes up about not viewing and driving, and it just stays on. I grounded the e-brake wire into the stereo ground out of ease of install. Technically, that should accomplish the same thing, but maybe not? Any feedback on that? Does the e-brake wire HAVE to be grounded separate from the ground wire in the harness? Also, how long should that warning screen stay on? It just stays on in my car, although the audio from the movie starts playing. Any answers on this would be great - I want to wrap up this install ASAP and then I'll post pics of the custom trunk setup and the DVD unit and all, just because I like to pic-*****

Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 PM
Administrator

OK guys, got it to work fine - thanks for all the input. Turns out I had to ground the e-brake wire to a bolt and not through the stereo harness ground, so I used one over behind the fuse panel. Also, my DVD head unit (a Jensen VM9311TS touch-screen) requires that the handbrake sequence be run through, so I just used a toggle switch for it, and have to do the on-off-on toggle dance, but that is a small price to pay. Thanks again - once I finish my last trim panel for the trunk setup, I'll post some pics of my new system.

For anyone else looking to do an A/V head unit, I know this may sound corny but I bought mine at Walmart of all places (shut up). My Alpine took a dump all of a sudden last night around 8PM and the only two places that were open in town, which sold head units, were Walmart and Circuit City. CC doesn't have anything worth a damn anymore, so I figured last-ditch would be the 'mart. Turns out the Jensen is priced on the rack at $388, but it rung up at $358 (even better). And I was a little leery about getting a Jensen, as I'd never seen any real high-end stuff from them, but this HU really rocks. Power is adequate (40x4 for my interior speakers), and it has a pre-out for the sub amp (as everything does). But what gets me is that the screen quality is actually very good, it's a 7" touch-screen with full-function remote, plays CD/CD recordables of all formats/DVD/MP3/WMA, comes with the media module for XM and iPod at no extra charge (although you have to get an iPod cable separately), has full iPod control built-in, and it's very intuitive to use. Overall I'm really impressed with it and would definitely say that it's worth looking into. Especially when you combine the price of the unit with all the features it has, it seems hard to beat. Anyhow, shameless plug is done - I'm happy now that the car has some damn good thump and some A/V toys

Old 04-30-2007, 09:52 PM
4th Gear

Glad that worked out for you!!! YOUR WELCOME!!!! LOL Just kidding. And I have the Jensen HU also. I love it!!! I think the picture quality on the screen is better then most of the pioneer screens for 2x the price!

Josh

Quick Reply: What exactly is the "e-brake trick" for DVD head units?