Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

What do u think the best drivetrain for Road Racing is?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Default What do u think the best drivetrain for Road Racing is?

RWD or AWD? I wont buy a FWD so i dont even care if thats better. I just hate tq steer. And yes u guessed it teh RWD would be teh Camaro SS and teh AWD would be the s4 but dont automatically say AWD cause its the s4. Try an dnot be that biased (which i know is unresonable since its audiforums). The s4 is looking to look liek i wont be getting it cuase my dad isnt getting it and keeps saying that i dont need a new car.

Old 09-11-2005, 07:00 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: What do u think the best drivetrain for Road Racing is?

It depends what the conditions are where you will be driving. RWD is just as good as awd as long as the conditions are good. AWD is good for more adverse conditions. FWD is ok, but there are few cars with chassiss that suit it. Integra type R, and Civic Type R as examples. How much rain/snow, etc do you get whyere you are? I got the quattro as it snows like a great big bag of snowy things here. If it didn't I'd go for a rwd car, as I find they a a lot more fun on the limit. Hell..Most fun i ever had in a car was in my little mk1 Astra race prepped beasty! You are better off going out and trying different cars, rather than asking on here. The trouble with car forums is they seldom give unbiased opinions.

PS...I'd rather have the S4 than the camero.

Old 09-11-2005, 08:09 PM

i know it will be biased but still some good info. I live In Southern California in the US and it never snows and barely even rains however it does every once in a while. The conditions would most likely be a dry hot day cuase i wouldnt even bother trying it in the rain. Would a AWD be just as fast in the corners or slower than a RWD on the corners. I know teh quttro race car is really fast off the line but i dont remmber hearing its fast in the corners too.

Old 09-11-2005, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear

If it will be dry, with little chance of rain, I'd go rwd. If its a decent car, with a decent set up it will be just as quick through a corner as an awd. Less weight, and less transmission loss. What type of road racing are you thinking of? Is it like a tarmac rally, or circuit, etc? bumpy, or smooth surfaces?
One of the best cars I ever drove, at oulton park curcuit, in the UK, was a Merc 190 Cosworth. Great handling for a reletively heavy car. 2.5 16V, with rwd. very nice. Was stripped a little, with no rear seats, and the sunroof blanked out, but the ebngine was standard. Suspension was leda adjustable. Quite stiff, but turn in was fantastic. Oversteer was progressive, and easy to control on the throttle. I'd love to have a go in another one!

Old 09-11-2005, 09:31 PM
Administrator

traditionally a sports car is suppose to be RWD

Old 09-11-2005, 11:03 PM
3rd Gear

RWD

Never mind how good an AWD platform is it will still not be able to perform like a true RWD vehicle, except in adverse conditions where AWD has the obvious advantage.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Toff_the_Toffee

If it will be dry, with little chance of rain, I'd go rwd. If its a decent car, with a decent set up it will be just as quick through a corner as an awd. Less weight, and less transmission loss. What type of road racing are you thinking of? Is it like a tarmac rally, or circuit, etc? bumpy, or smooth surfaces?
One of the best cars I ever drove, at oulton park curcuit, in the UK, was a Merc 190 Cosworth. Great handling for a reletively heavy car. 2.5 16V, with rwd. very nice. Was stripped a little, with no rear seats, and the sunroof blanked out, but the ebngine was standard. Suspension was leda adjustable. Quite stiff, but turn in was fantastic. Oversteer was progressive, and easy to control on the throttle. I'd love to have a go in another one!
The road racing im talking about would be like an open track day. On like Laguna Seca, Willow Springs, California speedway etc... I dont think it would be autocross cause im not really into that but i might get into it. Mostly if not all will be on a circuit. Even the streets around here are very smooth.

I will also after a few months do a new suspension on it so it would be even better. I was thinking the sports car thing too. There has to be a reason that all Ferraris, Porsches (except the Cayenne and the 4) are RWD etc... Im hoping ot get the camaro to handle like a vette would but who knows. I do know that teh Camaro skidpad is .87 (which isnt bad) especially since the s4 its i think .84 if i recall.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:36 PM
4th Gear

Really all depends on the track, rwd in alot of cases is going to be better, but if ur making enough power, awd can be better alot of times.

Old 09-11-2005, 11:43 PM

in MY experience (only in gran turismo) an AWD set up with the power distribution favoring the rear wheels is the best set up. [&:]

Old 09-12-2005, 12:25 AM

yea but that wasnt one of teh choices. hehe i want the STi diffeentail taht u can control. Now thats nice. But i want to be making around 400 rwhp after a year of working on it (if money permits)

Quick Reply: What do u think the best drivetrain for Road Racing is?