Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: What to do with the rest of my life?
Continue to work at paper mill making 50g's a year
25.00%
Seek law degree/political office. Could be very lucrative or also lose a lot of money
25.00%
Become househusband. get married to nurse girlfriend, and raise the kids
50.00%
Seek career with poli sci degree. id make more at the paper mill probaly
0%
become a bum and drink a case of beer a day. (sounds nice but ive tried it. gets old fast)
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

what to do with the rest of my life?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 AM
5th Gear

I'd like to think that I'm becoming a bit more "middle-of-the-road" in my political views because I'm really not a hard-core supporter of either party. I've never really labeled myself as a Democrat or Republican, but the majority of my views in the past have been more on the left side of things. Feeling seriously let-down by Obama, I have no idea where I stand anymore. I should probably follow these types of things a bit more closely, and likely will when it gets closer to being time to vote, but as I stand now I'm basically clueless.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:25 AM
Legal Moderator

best thing you can do is not affiliate yourself with a party. i dont. i consider myself a conservative. id vote for a democrat if they had my views. it just turns out that repubs tend to be more conservative, so i vote for them. keep in mind liberal/conservative is all relative. in saudi arabia, id be one hell of a liberal. most people in america either dont know enough or care enough to be affiliated. nothing wrong with that. all i ask of people is to be informed of the candidates they vote for. people like my sister have no idea what theyre doing at the polls. they just fill in the dots because they think its a civic duty. its also a civic duty to be informed of who youre voting for and why

Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Guru

Well you're young so if you want a political career, try for it! If all else fails then you can marry the nurse girlfriend and be a househusband. lol

Old 10-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Administrator

My brother graduated with a major in American History, a minor in Political Science, and eventually also a Masters in education. He's still looking for a job (almost 2 years) and just enlisted in the Navy. Making $50k a year at a paper mill is better than making no K a year looking for a job in a field with little job security and even less growth. At least until you pay off your student loans (if you have any)

Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Legal Moderator

im lucky to have zero student loans. yep, dad paid. he made me go so he pays (wish he paid for car stuff too) dont get me wrong the paper mill is good money and is a very real option. most of the younger guys working there have degress and couldnt find jobs. im thinking maybe ill get a job there if law school doesnt work and look for a job in my field. working at the mill has taught me a couple things. first i would absolutely kill for a 9-5 m-f. long hours at the mill suck *****. i often get stuck with 16 hour shifts and have even done a 24 before. its why my dad is an electrician there. he used to work shift work and it was ruining his marriage and life in general. he switched to electrician and only works 7-3 m-f, with six weeks of vacation at $30 an hour. aww union jobs....

Old 10-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Banned

law grads are a dime a dozen.

get into a trade, technician or engineering. a technician or trade diploma won't take as much time and money as an engineering degree.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Legal Moderator

This ****** blows dick. I just learned today the paper mill is no longer an option. They're shutting the paper machines down that I work on. I'll be unemployed Dec 14th. Its called verso paper if you wanna look it up

Old 10-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by redline380
yeah about the armed forces thing... i considered it. ive always wanted to get into the air force but apparently they dont allow criminals. i should have put this in the info but i got a dui a year ago so its kinda putting a hamper on some plans (ive since quit drinking and driving all together. not even one beer). might be hard to get hired some places. im just not sure where id like to end up. law school sounds great but my overall gpa is **** about 2.5 (my poli sci gpa is decent though about 3.3) so it would be hard to get into law school unless i get at least a 160 on the lsat. the paper mill is good money but the hours suck. all twelve hour shifts many over nights and weekends plus its boring. im just really looking for something to aim for. it would help if i had a goal to achieve

So, if you RILLY wanna get into politics, and ARE considering making your bones via the Military (which, I also endorse, irrespective your politics), consider putting some time volunteering with the party/candidate of your choice, this political season... (KEEP the papermill job, by the way, because there is NO substitute for MONEY, when you're in your 20's... even if you're too ****'N sleepy from working all those 12-hour shifts, to spend any of it) Trust me there IS a long-term payoff to all this sleep-deprivedness. A congressman/woman or member of the house of reps; and, in some cases, state reps & congressmen/woman, can get you a "political" appointment into the armed forces, even with a DUI on your record.

Alternatively, with ALL THAT MONEY you're knocking back, getta lawyer (pre-paid legal?!?!?) and see if you can get your record expurgated, or sumfin (don't know what the statutes in your jurisdiction are concerning such things), THEN join the Armed Forces.

Old 10-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by redline380
This ****** blows dick. I just learned today the paper mill is no longer an option. They're shutting the paper machines down that I work on. I'll be unemployed Dec 14th. Its called verso paper if you wanna look it up
damn. sorry to hear man. maybe also look into CADD drafting/design. that's a quick way to make $25/h. while you're working you can get another diploma or degree. with a drafting certificate you can work for engineering companies like bechtel, fluor or halliburton. there are alot of smaller engineering companies. just check your yellow pages.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Kill yourself

Quick Reply: what to do with the rest of my life?