Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: What to do with the rest of my life?
Continue to work at paper mill making 50g's a year
25.00%
Seek law degree/political office. Could be very lucrative or also lose a lot of money
25.00%
Become househusband. get married to nurse girlfriend, and raise the kids
50.00%
Seek career with poli sci degree. id make more at the paper mill probaly
0%
become a bum and drink a case of beer a day. (sounds nice but ive tried it. gets old fast)
0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

what to do with the rest of my life?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 10:32 PM
Legal Moderator
Default what to do with the rest of my life?

well this is a coming of age time for me. i need to figure out where to go from here so i will take input from the great members of AF.
background info: im 22, about to finish college with a degree in political science and maybe one in international relations as well. i just dont know where to go, especially job wise. ive worked at a paper mill getting paid very good for a college person for the last four years. so ill pose these scenarios. vote for favorite

Old 10-10-2011, 12:41 AM
5th Gear

Wish I knew what to vote for but I'm almost certainly more indecisive than you are. Frankly I should probably post a thread like this for myself.

Where do you see yourself in five years if you put that knowledge to good use? If you earned a degree then you might as well do something with it.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 AM
Tech Guru

If you want a political career I'd suggest a stint in the Armed Forces. People generally like political candidates with a military background.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 AM
Legal Moderator

yeah about the armed forces thing... i considered it. ive always wanted to get into the air force but apparently they dont allow criminals. i should have put this in the info but i got a dui a year ago so its kinda putting a hamper on some plans (ive since quit drinking and driving all together. not even one beer). might be hard to get hired some places. im just not sure where id like to end up. law school sounds great but my overall gpa is **** about 2.5 (my poli sci gpa is decent though about 3.3) so it would be hard to get into law school unless i get at least a 160 on the lsat. the paper mill is good money but the hours suck. all twelve hour shifts many over nights and weekends plus its boring. im just really looking for something to aim for. it would help if i had a goal to achieve

Old 10-10-2011, 01:08 AM
5th Gear

Good money is always nice, but boredom can be a problem. I'm finally thinking I have some goals for myself but the work I enjoy is rare in this market. Good thing about your position is that there will always be a market for political figures.

Old 10-10-2011, 01:26 AM
Legal Moderator

this is true. during high school, i had no interest in going to college, but my dad said i had to go. my first job was being a telemarketer raising money for democrats, and this spraked my interest in politics. after a year of working there i figured out i wanted to have nothing to do with the democrats and formed some political opinions of my own (this is not an intent to start a debate, although if you look in my previous threads ive started some very heated ones a couple years ago). i guess what im getting at is that its important to follow youre interests. if i had my choice id become a state rep., and move onto u.s. house of reps. being a conressman is pretty much my dream job. i think it would be awesome to represent the sixth district of minnesota, which is where im from. (yes its michelle bachmanns district)

Old 10-10-2011, 01:34 AM
5th Gear

If you have a dream, follow it! Sounds like you have it planned out pretty well. I've lost almost all faith in politics having grown up in what's likely one of the most corrupt states in the nation, but maybe you'd be one of the good ones.

And because I'm a complete dick, here's this:

Last edited by kolbs_91; 10-10-2011 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Mindless grammatical fuck-up
Old 10-10-2011, 02:01 AM
Legal Moderator

that one is actually pretty good and thats coming from a guy who voted for her. twice. yes im one of those guys that voted her in. and youre lucky. if this were two years ago id write a ten minute speech explaining the advantages of conservative politics, capitalism, classical liberalism, blah blah blah. im just more accepting of other ideologies nowadays. im started to get a little older/wiser

Old 10-10-2011, 02:22 AM
5th Gear

The Colbert Report is about as political as I get, so for all I know she may actually be a decent politician, but I do know I wouldn't cast a presidential vote for her.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:48 AM
Legal Moderator

ill give you the heads up on bachmann. did i vote for here for congress? yes. would i vote for her if she was the republican nominee? yes. would i vote for her in the primary? absolutely not. I think the republicans have much better to offer. personally i liked tim pawlenty. i know opinion is skewed cause he was governor of my state, but he did a pretty good job imo. with him out, i still wouldnt choose bachmann. the primary system is kinda messed up cause we only get people who care enough to vote in them, who generally side heavily either on the left or right, therefore getting candidates that are more liberal/conservative than most dems/repubs want. then the candidates need to move towards the middle in the general elections to gain moderate voters. the system pretty much asks them to come out strong enough to get the nomination than regress. this is the only reason bachman is even somewhat in contention for the repub nomination. she is conservative enough to gain hardocore supporters but she wouldnt have a chance in hell against a retarded rabbit in the generals. id still vote for her, but the general public wouldnt.

let me put it this way. bachmann is a little too much even for me, but i like her cause she balances out the pelosi types.

Last edited by redline380; 10-10-2011 at 02:51 AM.

Quick Reply: what to do with the rest of my life?