Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

What to do if your car is broken into, how to avoid it

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 05:21 PM
2nd Gear
Default What to do if your car is broken into, how to avoid it

Being a police officer I have seen MANY cars that have been broken into. These cars range from civics to upper class vehicles such as Escalades. Many people feel helpless when they see what has happened to their car, this is common and unavoidable. There are millions of theories and methods about avoiding having your car broken into. Alarms are always a good idea, but are in no way something to completely rely on. I have had calls where people had the top of the line Viper alarm systems with remote pagers that alert the owner when the alarm goes off who had their cars broken into and were completely unaware until they saw the vehicle.
This could be the result of a million reasons, the most common is forgetting to arm the arlarm or lock the doors. Most people will swear they locked the car this is because these people have made a habit of clicking the alarm button as they go away from their car. Things to keep in mind that could occur: not hitting the button fully, being out of range from the car, hearing the chirp of the alarm and assuming that all doors fully secured themselves. Sadly the only way to ever know the car is locked without a doubt is to walk around the car and try each door. Some people may want to take the time to do this, but most won't. Alarms are technology, we all know that technology does not always function as it should. The fact of the matter is there is no full proof way to secure a vehicle because the only thing keeping others out is a small layer of glass which can easily be smashed. The most common way a car is entered into is via a smashed window, unlocking the door, and getting inside.

What I can tell you are the best ways to avoid your vehicle being broken into, just keep in mind these are in no way a guarantee and for the most part are common sense

1. park your car in direct light if possible
2. NEVER leave a GPS unit on your dashboard visible to the public, or even the stand which charges it (This is the most common reason for cars to be broken into at this time)
3. remove your head unit
4. keep your car in the most public spot possible when in a city, try to avoid parking garages if you can
5. Pay attention to where you have your car serviced, try to limit the amount of people who have access to your cars and remotes
6. Keep your spare keys secure in a safe if possible
7. if you park in front of your home try not to park it on the street, aim a house light at your car if possible, motion lights are great for this

If your car has been broken into:

1. dont touch it, call the police let them fingerprint it then go through the car (not all departments lift prints)
2. start gathering receipts for things you purchased for your car that didnt come standard (radios, subs, etc), this will help with your insurance if its covered
3. make a list of the serial numbers for the items you discern have been removed from the car, these numbers are entered into NCIC in case they turn up on a call or in a pawn shop
4. check with neighbors to see if their cars were broken into
5. make sure you have all sets of your keys

Sadly it's rare that the person is caught right away or at all. The most common reasons for the perpetrator to be caught is because they: pawn the item you have had the police enter, were extremely sloppy in their work, or are caught breaking into other cars around the area using the same methods. I wish there was more advice I could give but the sad truth is if they really want to get in your car they will.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Default RE: What to do if your car is broken into, how to avoid it

thanks for the tips man. as someone who's had their car broken into, I can relate to this. people who break into cars = sh*t, in my books.

Old 08-07-2007, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear

It's a shame the only people who **** me off more are the ones who do hit and runs.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 PM

Good tips. I had my camaro broken into twice. First time, they smashed the window and stole the radio (never caught). Second time they pulled out my window and hit the electronic lock and stole my checkbook. The second guy was caught because he was stupid enough to try to forge my name when writing a check.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Site Moderator

Damn... Even the cops cant post in the right sections!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:34 AM
2nd Gear

its the thought that counts

Old 08-08-2007, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

[quote]ORIGINAL: Notahondaowner

its the thought that counts
[/quote

You bet it does buddy.
I sumbit a quote from the off topic header: "Almost anything goes."
Wtf is that guy's prob? ^^ If we want to get real picky, where exactly should your contribution to the greater good go?

Thanks for the effort.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:10 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP

so, Mr. Notahondaowner,
Do you ever drive over the speed limit when off duty?
Punch it when the light turns green to feel the power?

I know I always obey traffic laws, but for others that want to know......How much over the speed limit can I go without getting a ticket???

Old 08-08-2007, 05:40 PM
4th Gear

So, to sum it up...

dont leave ANYTHINGvaluable inside your car!

Then the only reason to break in is to steal the car.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:32 PM

or option B get a trunk monkey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y

Quick Reply: What to do if your car is broken into, how to avoid it