Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

what about a V-dub?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 03:40 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: what about a V-dub?

My wife had a 99.5 Jetta GLX - VR6, Automatic (unfortunately), black with tan leather interior. We bought it with 62k miles on it. Beautiful car, she loved it, but it had a lot of little things wrong with it. The passenger window lifters broke twice - this is now a TSB from VW. I ixed it myself both times and ended up being reimbursed by VW for the parts which was nice since the part costs $125. Also had the MIL light on most of the time we owned the car, I think now the problem was a bad MAF sensor after successfully fixing the same MIL code on my 00 A4 1.8T by replacing that sensor. The car was great to drive and had a lot of nice features. You just have to put up with some of the little things. We did end up trading it in for an '04 MINI Cooper S when the tranny started acting up.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:33 PM

At least get a Passat... that is an A4 right there.

If you go for the 2.slow, you could always turbo charge it.

Old 07-23-2005, 03:25 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

At least it's not a Ford Escape[&:]
bite me

Old 07-23-2005, 03:31 PM
4th Gear

jetta = female
golf = male

the 2.0 is also a pig, but whatever. honestly, the jetta is a pretty nice looking car, but honestly, if you can afford it (and i assume you can if you're looking at audis) hold out and look for a golf 1.8T GTi. and for the love of god... don't get a TDi... unless you want a rattely piece of crap which you have to actually SEARCH for places to fill up . and besides... i run about 2 weeks on a $30 tank... i don't think the extra couple days is worth having to deal with a diesel

Old 07-24-2005, 02:20 AM
3rd Gear

vw;s are great!! Just I wouldnt recommend getting a 2.0, you'll regret it

Old 07-24-2005, 04:05 AM
Senior Administrator

ORIGINAL: CheckMyVitals

ORIGINAL: AWDaholic

At least it's not a Ford Escape[&:]
bite me

Old 07-27-2005, 02:28 AM

Is your wife hot?
ORIGINAL: Vordy

My wife had a 99.5 Jetta GLX - VR6, Automatic (unfortunately), black with tan leather interior. We bought it with 62k miles on it. Beautiful car, she loved it, but it had a lot of little things wrong with it. The passenger window lifters broke twice - this is now a TSB from VW. I ixed it myself both times and ended up being reimbursed by VW for the parts which was nice since the part costs $125. Also had the MIL light on most of the time we owned the car, I think now the problem was a bad MAF sensor after successfully fixing the same MIL code on my 00 A4 1.8T by replacing that sensor. The car was great to drive and had a lot of nice features. You just have to put up with some of the little things. We did end up trading it in for an '04 MINI Cooper S when the tranny started acting up.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:26 AM
4th Gear

I agree go with a golf gti or atleast a 1.8t if you want to have some real fun, otherwise the jetta is nice, cheapest car to insure plus the VW 2.0l are really durable engines so there is soem power potential. I say if you like it get it, it completely up to you, after all your gonna be driving it not us.

Old 07-27-2005, 04:37 AM

what a bout a 1.8 passat? i just found one in my price range only 80-some miles away from me

Old 07-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Senior Administrator

1.8t or 1.8? either way, on the test drive, drive it like U stole it (hmmmm.... now where have I heard THAT before?) and see if you like how it handles. If it satisfies, go for it...