Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Weekend trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 05:50 PM
2nd Gear
Default Weekend trip

Let me just start off by saying that I love Southern California...There's no other place like it. on that note, let me tell you about my weekend.

Started on Thursday night when my brother and I flew to Texas to help my parents, who lived there, pack up their stuff into a moving truck to move back to California. Well the flight had an hour and a half layover in Vegas. Well of course the airport had slot machines GALORE so we tested our luck and quickly each lost $20 on the freakin slots. Then after flying into Austin, TX at 3:30am, we had to drive 1.5 hours to my uncles house where my parents are staying. an hour of sleep later, we wake up and drive 1.5 hours to my parent's farm and get a flat tire on the way to load the truck with some of the things that they had there. The rest was at my other Aunt's house that is another hour drive. We drive there and pick up a Uhaul to bring everything else back. My parents have been storing their extra matresses there for about 3 years and lets just say, within those 3 years, the matresses had some "Tenants" living with it. anyways, we pak all that up, drive an hour back. Get that loaded and feel the GREAT Texas weather during the whole day. Done by 4pm friday. Go back to my uncle's house and rest til about 4:30am and leave the house by 5:30 to drive to Dallas to drop my parents off at the airport so they can fly back while me and my 3 siblings are stuck driving my mom's 1999 Mercedes E430 back to california.[sm=badidea.gif] Dallas itself was a 2.5 hour drive from my uncles house. we get to Dallas at about 7:45 and drop off my parents at DFW airport which is BY FAR, the most confusing airport EVER! Leave for California. about 3 hours into the drive, still in texas, we get a flat tire on the rear passenger side. GREAT! pull over, pull out the OH SO GREAT mercedes JACK which you have to insert into a hole that mercedes premade especially for this so you don't have to look for a place to jack the car. well with the 103 degree weather, the asphalt was basically soft as grass and the jack was not stable. we get 4 out of 5 nuts off and the jack starts to slide off. we thought we were screwed. luckily there was one nut on there still....anyways, we get the jack back up and put on the spare as fast as we could just in case. Get back on the road and find a tire shop in Colorado City, Texas, to find out that they aren't carrying the size tire we need. Colorado City btw, must have never seen a Mercedes or Asians before because the mechanic was amazed by the car [sm=bling.gif] and the fact that we were asian. He originally asked if we were mexican! [sm=americanasmiley.gif] anyways, we needed 215/55/r16. They said we can ride on a 215/60/r16 temporarily until we find another place. we did that and 100 miles later found one and waited about an hour and watched them take about 30 minutes on the damn thing. after that was finally done, we were back on the road, drive to new mexico about 8 hours later and stopped to get some "Fireworks" and by 3:30 PST we are back in Good OLD SOCAL!! let me just say, I will never do that again and hope to GOD that I never have to move out of SoCal. That is All...thank you for listening to my rant!! [sm=groupwave.gif] [sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 06-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Default RE: Weekend trip

yea so cal rocks

Old 06-20-2005, 06:26 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds like an interesting and aggrivating trip.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:30 PM
Administrator

wow what a trip u had
they thought u were mexican thats funny
i kno how you feel have u ever been to Hemet, that place is like white out
when me and my friends went there for a fishing trip we went in to a dennys and the whole restruant stopped eating to look at us, it was weird and tey stuck us in a section away from everyone

i would like to take a nice road trip like that but hopefully wit out the problems u had
but thats nice you would help your parents like that

Old 06-20-2005, 06:44 PM
2nd Gear

never been to hemet but yea it's like we're aliens or something...hahaha pretty funny. sounds like i'm not the only one that happens to....but funny thing is i don't look like a typical vietnamese guy so i get looks when i go to little saigon here in SoCal and people talk about how I don't look Viet...hahaha...oh well...got weird genes i guess.

Old 06-20-2005, 06:59 PM
Administrator

people think im viet somtimes

Old 06-20-2005, 07:10 PM
2nd Gear

hahah i've gotten, samoan, hawaiian, filipino...but its probably because i'm a little bit of a mutt...mostly viet but i got some chinese, laos and french in my bloodlines. doesn't help that i'm 5'10 and 220. hahah

Old 06-20-2005, 07:12 PM
Administrator

ya i can see why they might say samoan, hawaiian, filipno
5'10 220 it must be the pho

Old 06-20-2005, 07:20 PM
2nd Gear

haha practically....and a lot of rice...haha

Old 06-20-2005, 09:03 PM
Senior Administrator

Best I can claim is that I got sent to Bloomington, IN two years ago, by my company for a 10-week assignment, during teh summer (read: school's out, Bloomington, IN is home to IU, in case you din't kno). So, NEway EVERYWHERE I go, no matter what the type of place I go into; resturaunt, office depot, wal-mart; heads are snapping around so fast I can hear the tiny little sonic booms... You'd think they never saw a guy of non-specific non-white, brown-skinned ethnicity before. School eventually let back in, all the athletes came back (apparently they NEED to import their athletes from other parts of teh country and from other, more diverse, ethnic backgrounds in that part of teh counrty), and I was able to blend in more betterer

My first 6 weeks there I counted a grand total of 16 non-whites. Two Koreans. Three that looked Thai. A couple from either India or Pakistan (I din't ask, juust going by their looks). Five Hispanics (din't look tex-mex, more like s.american) The rest were Black. I thought I was back in Bulgaria or somethin. I saw more ethnic diversity when I visited Lithuania, up near teh Baltic sea, 6 years ago.

THAT was a White-Out!

Quick Reply: Weekend trip