Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wanna race?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Default RE: Wanna race?

ORIGINAL: karguy427

Just read an article in the local San Gabriel Valley newspaper concerning the vehicle crushes. Apparently, with each and every one of the cars smashed, the authorities found either a missing or altered VIN, or stolen parts. In one guy's case, it was his transmission.

In other words, your car isn't being crushed just because you were street racing.
I think I saw the same article. One of the crushed cars had a stolen tranny, and I think they traced it to a car that was stolen a year earlier in LA as well.

I'm very curious to see if this law stands up.

ORIGINAL: Palindari
lol... what gets me is that Section 5-28.04(2) says: There is probable cause to believe that the vehicle was used or is intended to be used to participate in a motor vehicle speed contest in violation of this chapter."
This wording is VERY questionable. If the cops are going to seize a car just because they believe it is intended to be used in a street race is bullsh*t. Basically, what they're saying is if they find a modded car, they have every right to impound & crush it. What about those who mod their cars just because they can or they want to? What about their civil liberties? All it takes is one person whose car was seized by probably cause (intent to race) & crushed, to file a lawsuit against the city. I'm all for the cars being seized & crushed IF CAUGHT STREET RACING, but the probably cause thing has to go. When I find the funds to mod my car, I'll be sure to never drive it in Rialto. If I do end up driving a modded car in Rialto, & if my car were seized to be crushed, I would file a lawsuit against the city so fast, the city attorney wouldn't even know what hit them.

Old 06-22-2007, 01:45 AM
1st Gear

checked out the clip on yahoo tonight, but now everyones just going to run hell thats would i would do if i new they were going to CRUSH my car but then again i would do stupid things in my car that could get it crushed........ other than do 145 on the freeway, but i mean who hasnt done that

Old 06-22-2007, 11:33 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cyberlogicx

Either your ABS isn't working, or you have **** for tires, and if the conditions were so bad you shouldn't have been travelling at such speeds. If you felt that you didn't deserve that ticket, how come you didn't fight it? Or if you did fight it, why did you lose? You should never blame the conditions for your inability to drive your own car. That's about as bad as someone saying that they crashed because they were too old to drive safely.
i did fight, and got 2/3 charges removed from the ticket that he ended up writing me up for.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 PM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: veloracer
ORIGINAL: Palindari
lol... what gets me is that Section 5-28.04(2) says: There is probable cause to believe that the vehicle was used or is intended to be used to participate in a motor vehicle speed contest in violation of this chapter."
This wording is VERY questionable. If the cops are going to seize a car just because they believe it is intended to be used in a street race is bullsh*t. Basically, what they're saying is if they find a modded car, they have every right to impound & crush it. What about those who mod their cars just because they can or they want to? What about their civil liberties? All it takes is one person whose car was seized by probably cause (intent to race) & crushed, to file a lawsuit against the city. I'm all for the cars being seized & crushed IF CAUGHT STREET RACING, but the probably cause thing has to go. When I find the funds to mod my car, I'll be sure to never drive it in Rialto. If I do end up driving a modded car in Rialto, & if my car were seized to be crushed, I would file a lawsuit against the city so fast, the city attorney wouldn't even know what hit them.
Well actually if you read further - for them to actually crush the vehicle they have to go through a due process... as for impounding it - yes, that they can do on the spot.

Just an idea of what this could cost - locally a 30-day impound will cost you $1100+ (it's per day storage - so it's diffferent if you pick it up on the 31st day from the 30th day) - you can double almost triple that in the LA area - so if they deem your car one modified for racing and through the whole process it sits in impound - to get back... well you could bought a new Miltek exhaust [>:]

Old 06-23-2007, 10:19 AM
4th Gear

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19306326/

This is what happens to douche bags in the town next to me. lol

This news report doesn't have all the details but the guy tried running from the cops and hid in a parking lot where he was soon to be found.

When he got caught the guy had the nerve to tell the cop to make sure it was kept in the garage out of the elements. The cop responded with "you dont have to worry about it anymore because its are car now".

Old 06-24-2007, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

Another brainless law. As usual, California is inching usus closer and closer to communism every day.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

Someone find statistics of how many people die per year due to street racing, then find a statistis that says how many die because of elderly drivers...

Old 06-24-2007, 10:07 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: Whiplash

Someone find statistics of how many people die per year due to street racing, then find a statistis that says how many die because of elderly drivers...
I'll put money on the street racers actually killing more people, elderly drivers tend to get more coverage because of the nature of their accidents. You usually see them plowing into crowds of people because they are overwhelmed or grossly incapable of operating a vehicle safely. If elderly drivers were causing more fatalities, you would see more regulations cracking down on them. Instead, the focus is on street racers because they all drive like ******* retards. It is far more likely that a couple of punk racers will cut off three lanes of traffic on the highway, than an elderly driver doing the same thing. But at least the street racers don't go 45 mph in the fast lane with their high-beams on and that left blinker going for the last 20 miles. Yeah, elderly drivers are bad and dangerous and they need tough monitoring, but these are people who have been driving for years and years, not someone who has less than a years worth of driving under their belts and they think they can drive since they watched The Fast and the Furious. Elderly folk don't go on forums and brag about how they drove into the ATM machine or jumped a curb and hit a small group of people. Racers brag on forums about how they go 140 miles per hour on public highways and endanger countless people. Elderly drivers have bad driving habits due to poor reaction times and reflexes, not inexperience. Street racers are far worse for all of us, and give regular tuners and real racers a bad name.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:42 PM
2nd Gear

The complete opposite of that is true. Elderly drivers dont get followed by the police for any reason what so ever. People with any non stock part on their car get followed and ticketed whenever a cop gets the chance. You think going 140 on a public highway is dangerous, try doing 30. Same thing. Both are stupid but only one of them is aware that they are doing something stupid or dangerous. The old people think everything is fine until they realise they are getting off on an on ramp and there is a car going between 80-100KMH towards them.

Also about your comment on how the elderly have more publicised accidents then people who street race; maybe thats whats going on where you live, but here and in Detroit all they focus on is street racers. And I dont mind if they crush cars of people who are actually racing on the street. What I do care about though is old poeple, people talking on cell phones, smoking, eating, doing make up in cars not getting the same attention.

Old 06-24-2007, 11:51 PM
5th Gear

My car is tinted, lowered, has big wheels and a full exhaust... and I've usually got my stereo turned up... And yet, I've only been pulled over ONCE. And when I was pulled over, I deserved it... I blew through a yellow light.

This new law doesn't really bother me at all. I don't drive like an idiot... so I know that I've got nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: Wanna race?