Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wanna race?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Wanna race?

nope...just moved right next door (oakville) from hamilton

Old 06-21-2007, 12:53 AM
1st Gear

"They can crush my car but not the memories of my car..." So sentimental...

Precedents are always dangerous because it is a foot in the door and you never know how it is going to be used in the future. Giving people with half a brain too much power and leeway is always a risk. As mentioned earlier in this thread cops are just like other people, you have some good ones and you have the others... The problem is that the system is giving them more power and now they have to make a call on what constitutes "street racing" which seems fuzzy at best.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:55 AM
2nd Gear

oakville is nice... i like it cause its quiet.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:04 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TeeterTawter

oakville is nice... i like it cause its quiet.
[:@]hate it for that reason!!!

Old 06-21-2007, 10:14 AM
2nd Gear

The street racing is particularly bad out in the suburbs east of L.A. - Ontario, Rialto, Riverside, etc. That's where the 'crushing' is taking place. I'm glad somebody is finally taking a tough stance on the illegal activity. We've recently had a slew of teen-age deaths in the area attributed to street racing. Maybe this is what it takes.....

There's no real excuse for the semi-organized street activity, particularly when the kids can do LEGAL drag racing at places like Irwindale Raceway, California Speedway, and L.A. County Raceway in Lancaster. And it's pretty cheap, too.

----------
Marshall

Old 06-21-2007, 10:39 AM
4th Gear

I say smash them ****'s!

Better yet, yank them out the car and torch it on site!

No but seriously it is ridiculous how crazy these people are getting with their street racing, its nice to see the law stepping up.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:08 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, the fact of the matter is... if you don't do anything blantantly dangerous/illegal, you won't have any trouble.
It's those people who are weaving in and out of traffic that are going to get nailed... and they deserve it.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:17 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: cyberlogicx

Here's the link to the local ordinance it's a PDF file, so if your computer hates them you have been warned!

And when a vehicle is seized and it's upheld as a legal seizure, it becomes property of the police department. They can do as they please with it. It makes sense to destroy them, rather than sell them for a tiny profit and give them to the hands of someone who will just go and do the same thing.
yeah, cyber, I'm aware of that - but to destroy a vehicle is different from seizing and impounding a car. What peeps don't realize is that there's a HUGE liability tied in with cars in America. Houses and property are not regulated and monitored as closely as motorvehicles (that's why it's crucial to sign that release of liability form attached to you title in California[:-]).

lol... what gets me is that Section 5-28.04(2) says: There is probable cause to believe that the vehicle was used or is intended to be used to participate in a motor vehicle speed contest in violation of this chapter."

that pretty much says that if you apply any mods to your vehicle that implies intent. So if you get pulled over and the car gets inspected and deemed you modded it for racing purposes then in can be impounded... currently locally (Bakersfield is about 150 miles north of Ontario) if you are inspected and deemed that you have modded a vehicle excessively then you get a fix-it ticket and you take it to a local shop for inspection. If they deem your mods are excessive then you fix it back or you car gets impounded. It's a lame-duck approach and easy to circumvent, but this seems a tad extreme.

As for making money off the sale of such cars - selling a forfeited vehicle is HUGE money. Now these are averages, but we impound about 10 cars a day. 6 will be picked up. 2 will be scrapped and the remainder will be sold. Making $2000 to better off a vehicle is greatly profitable. Forfieted lien car sales nets us about $20k a month over normal operational costs and profits - so that's not tiny... but that's strictly from a business viewpoint.

would be curious to see if this approach spreads...

Old 06-21-2007, 12:17 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: Palindariâ„¢

Here's the link to the local ordinance it's a PDF file, so if your computer hates them you have been warned!

And when a vehicle is seized and it's upheld as a legal seizure, it becomes property of the police department. They can do as they please with it. It makes sense to destroy them, rather than sell them for a tiny profit and give them to the hands of someone who will just go and do the same thing.
yeah, cyber, I'm aware of that - but to destroy a vehicle is different from seizing and impounding a car. What peeps don't realize is that there's a HUGE liability tied in with cars in America. Houses and property are not regulated and monitored as closely as motorvehicles (that's why it's crucial to sign that release of liability form attached to you title in California[:-]).

lol... what gets me is that Section 5-28.04(2) says: There is probable cause to believe that the vehicle was used or is intended to be used to participate in a motor vehicle speed contest in violation of this chapter."

that pretty much says that if you apply any mods to your vehicle that implies intent. So if you get pulled over and the car gets inspected and deemed you modded it for racing purposes then in can be impounded... currently locally (Bakersfield is about 150 miles north of Ontario) if you are inspected and deemed that you have modded a vehicle excessively then you get a fix-it ticket and you take it to a local shop for inspection. If they deem your mods are excessive then you fix it back or you car gets impounded. It's a lame-duck approach and easy to circumvent, but this seems a tad extreme.

As for making money off the sale of such cars - selling a forfeited vehicle is HUGE money. Now these are averages, but we impound about 10 cars a day. 6 will be picked up. 2 will be scrapped and the remainder will be sold. Making $2000 to better off a vehicle is greatly profitable. Forfieted lien car sales nets us about $20k a month over normal operational costs and profits - so that's not tiny... but that's strictly from a business viewpoint.

would be curious to see if this approach spreads...
The thing is, from my view cars are just like guns. If a car is used in a crime, its seized and destroyed. Sure, they could resell it, as many of the guns would be legal to own with the proper licenses, but they don't. I'm working on getting my Class III/NFA license so I could own a lot of these 'illegal' guns on the streets today. But all you need to own a car is enough money to buy one and a drivers license which they give away to far too many people anyway. Will everyones car get crushed for being modded? No. For street racing? No. But the possibility that it may be will hopefully make people think twice. The people they are targeting aren't the ones who like to go a little fast on occasion, or wanted a new exhaust or better wheels. Just like with guns, even though there are tons of laws out there, they are aimed at keeping guns safe and out of the hands of criminals. Threats can be a great deterrance. Would you want to try to break into my house if you knew that you'd get a faceful of 00 buck and that I could legally do it? (Which I can, by the way.) I don't ******* think so.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:40 PM
4th Gear

The thing is, from my view cars are just like guns. If a car is used in a crime, its seized and destroyed. Sure, they could resell it, as many of the guns would be legal to own with the proper licenses, but they don't. I'm working on getting my Class III/NFA license so I could own a lot of these 'illegal' guns on the streets today. But all you need to own a car is enough money to buy one and a drivers license which they give away to far too many people anyway. Will everyones car get crushed for being modded? No. For street racing? No. But the possibility that it may be will hopefully make people think twice. The people they are targeting aren't the ones who like to go a little fast on occasion, or wanted a new exhaust or better wheels. Just like with guns, even though there are tons of laws out there, they are aimed at keeping guns safe and out of the hands of criminals. Threats can be a great deterrance. Would you want to try to break into my house if you knew that you'd get a faceful of 00 buck and that I could legally do it? (Which I can, by the way.) I don't ******* think so.
Don't get me wrong, mate - you make some solid points. But here's the rub - comparing guns and autos are like apples and oranges. Vastly different.

Gun ownership doesn't require a huge financial burden (long term loans, insurance, fuel consumption, etc.) nor is it beneficial to your livelihood (commuting to and from work, grocery shopping, etc.).

You can buy a gun - stor it in a lock and that be the end of it until you use it - cost of ammo is the only cost incurred - unless you commit a crime... lol

Modifying cars has taken a whole new turn in recent years - it's gone from small specialized shops to a multi-million dollar industry. Guns - you can buy scopes, new stocks, laser sights... but where you could spend another $1000 on a gun with mods - well you know what it costs to mod your Audi

The thing here is that there is a huge financial burden here. I've read the Ontario statute twice now - it has potential for abuse (like nearly every law out there). But if you were to poll a thousand Americans today if you had a choice of losing your gun or your car - a large majority would give up the pistolas without a second thought.

But this law is like saying - okay 1234 Main street is a known crackhouse - tear it down. It's used to harbor one this nations worst drugs in years - with it gone - the problem may be solved. Highly unlikely, but that's the jist of this local law is trying to prove.

Personally, I say let the police department sell off the cars (de-modified of course) and take the profits for their local Police Activity League.

But that's my opinion - for what it's worth [8D]

Quick Reply: Wanna race?