Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wanna race?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 05:57 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force
Default Wanna race?

Street racing may be TONS OF FUN, and being all cool like the kids in The Fast and the Furious, but the reality is that it's just plain dangerous. Most street racers are cocky sub-25 year olds who think they can drive better than they actually can, with dangerous horsepower mods and no safety mods to support them. They drive with complete disregard to everyone on the road, and when they race each other, they are even worse. It's one thing to go and race someone from a light, but what they do is madness and they aren't learning. The law in Ontario, California is taking a new approach to combating these 'racers.' When you're busted for racing, your car gets crushed. On the outside, it seems drastic but, it makes sense. Normally, these seized cars (mostly riced Hondas and such) would be auctioned off and then wind up back on the streets. But if they are destroyed before that can happen, that's one less car off the streets and once less ricer until he buys a new car. It would make them think twice if they knew that was their fate. If they [ricers] weren't so goddamn stupid, it wouldn't have come to this for them. They just don't learn, though. Their friends and fellow racers kill themselves and innocent bystanders, pedestrians, and other motorists all for what? Who has the fastest shitbox on the street? It means nothing! Bragging rights only go so far, and they don't get you anything in the real world. Most of us are guilty of stoplight drags every now and again, myself included. It's one thing to punch it at a light, when the road is clear ahead of you, but what they do is just plain criminal. +1 to whomever came up with the idea of crushing the cars, and I hope that people finally start to learn their lessons.

Here's the vid

Old 06-20-2007, 06:38 PM
3rd Gear
Default RE: Wanna race?

Yeah, I saw that this morning. It's sad to see tuner cars get crushed like that, and IN NO WAY DO I CONDONE STREET RACING but I do feel that's a little harsh.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Yeah, it's harsh, but (as law enforcement) what do you say to the family who's mother was just killed when you gave him his car back? I say they should ban these drivers from owning cars for several years. That should wake them up.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:01 PM
4th Gear

that's odd... must be a local ordanance giving them the authority to destroy vehicles like that.

normally only drug related siezures occur on occassion - but never an order to destroy...

what a shame - we could sell those vehicles for $2 to 6k - scrap metal (at current prices) will only net you $200 or less for a Honda... [>:]

Old 06-20-2007, 07:10 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Here's the link to the local ordinance it's a PDF file, so if your computer hates them you have been warned!

And when a vehicle is seized and it's upheld as a legal seizure, it becomes property of the police department. They can do as they please with it. It makes sense to destroy them, rather than sell them for a tiny profit and give them to the hands of someone who will just go and do the same thing.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Zombie Defense Force

hahah will you race again? yes i will. well i guess crushing cars wont stop it. it just means people are going to run when the popo show up

Old 06-20-2007, 08:16 PM
2nd Gear

The 2 civics they crushed in ontario to "prove a point" where seized in a cocain gangbust and not seized for street racing. from what i have read they have onlly been removing (not siezing) carsracing using nitrous systems on the streets here in ontario. they just remove your plates. but +1 i agree with wtf is goin on, they closed down the 400 to cottage country a few days ago because a few retards where street racing and weaving in and out of traffic and i donno how but made a transport truck jacknife and the driver was killed, the 2 ricer kids took off but where later booked and are facing charges now. i will try and dig up that news report.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 PM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

Ahh, well, drugs and cars should never mix. I really hate street racers, and they deserve whatever the police want to dish out. Granted, this shouldn't be a blank check to the 5-0 to be complete jackasses and arrest people for getting a bit of wheelspin at a red light.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:38 PM
1st Gear

i have no better word to use than dumb, what do they classify as street racing? joe somebody, ceo of wahtever company was driving his porsche 25 miles above the speed limit, and a ken ****, local honda hero sped by going 35 above and a cop spotted the both of them... where they racing??... i think thats plain stupid... giving police way too much power especially if a policeman is an advocate of this bulls**tlaw and just doesnt like certain people driving certain cars

Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: djuro37

i have no better word to use than dumb, what do they classify as street racing? joe somebody, ceo of wahtever company was driving his porsche 25 miles above the speed limit, and a ken ****, local honda hero sped by going 35 above and a cop spotted the both of them... where they racing??... i think thats plain stupid... giving police way too much power especially if a policeman is an advocate of this bulls**tlaw and just doesnt like certain people driving certain cars
My buddy was saying this exact sort of thing... Tough call, I guess. I hope that this scenario doesn't ever happen... but who knows.
I guess the moral of the story is, don't EVER do stupid **** and you're guaranteed to be okay. Keep in on the track, I guess.
The gov't should open up a few tracks and see if it helps. Make it very affordable etc. Maybe... just maybe it'd work. Who knows. It's certainly worth trying, though.

Quick Reply: Wanna race?