Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Videos of our Eclipse GS-X after the 6-Bolt Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 12:54 AM
2nd Gear
Default Videos of our Eclipse GS-X after the 6-Bolt Swap...

Well here's the story. Brandon's had his '99 Eclipse GS-X torn apart for quite sometime fixing his transmission and clutch problems... And when it came time for me to part out my Laser, he decided to get his hands on the 6-Bolt (1G DSMs came with the 6-Bolt crankshaft, 2G DSMs came with a 7-Bolt crankshaft, the 7-Bolt is subject to crankwalk, and isn't as strong as the 6-Bolt) engine I had in her. So after months of him dragging his *** on it, a few of my friends decided to take time out of their schedule and go finish it for him because we were all tired of his car not running. After a day of solid work, the car started up just fine.

When we pulled it out of the Laser, it had:

-HKS 272/264 Camshafts
-ARP Headstuds
-Cometic 4-Layer Head Gasket
-Full Rebuild
-Ported Head

The engine was ready for 40psi.

So it finally got on the road after almost 6 months of being on jackstands. And the thing was an absolute monster, even though it was untuned at the time of the videos.

Specs on the GS-X:

-EVO III 16G Turbocharger
-Hard Piping
-Stock SMIC
-Stock BOV Crushed
-RC Engineering 550cc Injectors
-SBR MBC
-SBR Oxygen Sensor Housing
-Thermal R&D 3" Exhaust
-Injen Intake Pipe
-Engine specs listed above

Playing around late at night... Yes, I was on it.[:@]

Launching at 5,000RPM... This thing will seriously break your neck.

The guy in the Camaro kept eyeing us up at the stoplight... But he wouldn't do anything about it.

He was ready to order a Slow-Boy Racing FMIC, GM MAF with Translator, and start running a 60-1 with TiAL 38mm Wastegate... The car would have easily put down over 400whp.

Anyway, everything seemed like it was going good... Until Friday night before the party at his house, I pull up at 8:00pm to help them get set up... And see a puddle of oil under the car, and oil spattered on the back of the car off the exhaust... Oh Sh*t. He waited too long to tune the car, he leaned her out, the engine is toast. Looks like the car will be on jackstands for another 6 months.

Lesson: Don't drag your *** when it comes to your cars.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Videos of our Eclipse GS-X after the 6-Bolt Swap...

Sucks about the engine... I hate DSM's more than anything though... I respect that they are fast, but wtf... I still don't understand how Chrysler is in business. They build some shotty cars! I mean overall quality is terrrrrrible!
But hey, if you want a fast car... DSM's have a lot to offer I guess... if you can deal with a super fast POS.
And I am not completely flaming on them, and definately not on people who own them... I owned one myself, and it was fun, I guess... but yeah. POS. haha

Old 04-04-2006, 02:01 AM
2nd Gear

I have to agree with you... The entire car is pieced together poorly, but the engine is genious. The 4G63 was designed in the '70s, and has yet to be topped. It is by far the best 4 cylinder ever designed.

Old 04-04-2006, 02:10 AM
5th Gear

Yeah it was fun when it was running well... I installed a j-spec, I think it's the same motor... but people like to call them j-spec. My old motor was toast... as were my syncros, and turbo had a lot of miles on it... so it was a maintenance thing to change engine/turbo/trans/transfer-case. (transfer case locked up, btw... 80mph on the highway)... I guess that was the 1g's famous problem, the 2g being that pesky crank walk.

Here is the beast... *sigh* so much money, down the drain.
http://talon.aaron-wright.com

Old 04-04-2006, 04:38 AM
5th Gear

Damn that thing is a monster

Old 04-04-2006, 04:42 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: BadLuckAudi

Damn that thing is a monster

WAS ... DAMN that sucks about the engine.. what a waste.. that could have been a serious ride

Old 04-04-2006, 05:06 AM
2nd Gear

well.. i gotta say it cuz nobody else will.... shame on you for haulin *** on an untuned engine...

[sm=badidea.gif]

Old 04-04-2006, 06:10 AM
2nd Gear

Not shame on me, shame on my dumb *** friend... One of my good friends is one of the top tuners in NC, so whenever I do even the slightest modification, it goes back up to him for A/F correction. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for Brandon, and he's having to deal with it now.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

Nice to know people here are interested on dsms. I have a 1995 gsx with a 6bolt engine and I love it more than my A6!

Ofcourse the car breaks, but when it moves, man you can't compare. I will never sell it.

Here are the Specs on my GSX 92 (22 psi):

-Dsmlink software for tuning
-6 Bolt with Ross pistons (0.02 over bored)
-EVO III 16G Turbocharger
-Supra MKiV SMIC
-1g BOV Crushed
-RC Engineering 550cc Injectors
-Modified O2 Housing
-2.5 Full Exhaust
-Equal runner exhaust manifold
-Dejon tools Intake Pipe

Old 06-02-2006, 09:02 PM
3rd Gear

lol my mod list on my 93 talon awd is rediculous...

dsm's are sweet, i think ill always have one in my driveway. there not expensive, and very fast if done right.