Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Vag-Com w/ MAC

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 06:34 PM
3rd Gear
Default Vag-Com w/ MAC

Does anyone use their Vag-Com with a MAC, if not is it possible?

EDIT- Reason I ask is because the wife and I are going to get a new laptop here pretty soon and I really like the iBook but I dont want to get one if the Vag-Com wont work on it

Old 02-28-2006, 07:10 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Vag-Com w/ MAC

What brand? I found this link (quoted below): Ross-Tech

Will there be a Mac or Linux version?

There will be no "native" Mac or Linux versions. The time and effort required to "port" VAG-COM to these platforms would never be worthwhile. One person has gotten VAG-COM running under Linux using WINE -- click here for details. Another person has managed to get VAG-COM working on a MAC with Virtual PC - click here. Neither of those examples are supported by Ross-Tech.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:18 PM
1st Gear

Found something else: AudiWorld

They have a link there to another discussion: TDI Club

It looks like you'd need Virtual PC, but it should work. Either that or a palm pilot, which would be awesome. You can see that at Shade Tree Software.

Old 02-28-2006, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, I actually just read that as well. I found a good software option from MAC for Virtual PC, Apple but I dont know if I would mess with the Virtual PC and the Vag

Old 02-28-2006, 07:30 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, I really couldn't see messing around with it for an iBook, but a Powerbook, now that's a different story...

Old 02-28-2006, 07:42 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah, so you personally. Do you think it would be worth getting the Powerbook(which rules) and getting that software?

Old 02-28-2006, 09:03 PM
1st Gear

Well, can you afford the $1800+ for computer and Virtual PC?

And what would you use the computer for?

Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear

Yes, she gets a interest free PC loan thru her job and I would also use it for designing her and my websites and in the future when my shop opens doing CAD

Old 03-01-2006, 03:19 AM
1st Gear

First off, sorry for the delayed response; I'm in the process of moving.

Well, then if anyone is in the market for a Powerbook, it is you two, from the sounds of it. I would definitely spring for the Powerbook because of the upgraded power from the iBook. And of course, Macs have a much higher resale value, in case you decide you want something else.

Besides, if you decide it's a pain to use the Mac + Virtual PC, you could buy the Palm Pilot + Shade Tree software (which combined would be the same price as Virtual PC).

Old 03-02-2006, 12:08 PM

Well Let me chime in here.

I'm an avid Mac User. I ahve a Dual Core G5, 17" PB Hi-Res and a 12" iBook (The Wifes). I love them all. I have VPC and VAG-COM and as of yet I have been unsuccessful at getting it to work 100%. I can get it to detect the VAG-COM and it installs fine, but the actual Scan isn't working. It cuts out midway through.

I'm workng on fixing it right now, so I could probably get back to you.

Also, PM so I can chat with you away from the public board with your email address.