Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tranny rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear
Default Tranny rebuild

Yesterday we pulled the tranny out of the mustang. A buddy I work with is helping me rebuild it (meaning he is rebuilding and I am fetching beer for him). All told it will cost around 200-250 instead of the 800-900 the shops have been quoting so I am pretty happy about that. It wont get put back together til next weekend though, then the guy I bought it from is gonna finish some work that was promised. And shortly there after, it is getting disc brakes at all four corners. And then I need to rebuild the carb. And after that, the front suspension is getting replaced. And....

no wonder my wife says I spend to much money on the car. But it is gonna be nice when I get done with it!!! I still love that thing.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:31 AM
5th Gear
Default RE: Tranny rebuild

nice nice man, see they arent that bad are them!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:13 PM
2nd Gear

Not nearly as bad as I expected. It was a little bit of a b1tch to get it out cuz of the headers though. Hopefully it will go in smoother.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:30 PM
5th Gear

yea the headers can get in the way, i got headman headers and they clear so i dont have to worry
ORIGINAL: bluovalguy

Not nearly as bad as I expected. It was a little bit of a b1tch to get it out cuz of the headers though. Hopefully it will go in smoother.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:40 PM

While you have the tranny out you should throw some turbos on that motor.

Old 04-09-2007, 01:13 AM
2nd Gear

The car has hooker headers, and they didnt have to be removed, it just took some time and patience.

I wouldnt mind turbos, but the mrs. is about at her limit for spending money on the car this month[&o]

Old 04-09-2007, 01:29 AM

Maybe next month.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 AM
5th Gear

bah if your gunna go for power do a 347 stroker and supercharge it, paxton makes a bolt on kit that makes some pretty damn good power

The car has hooker headers, and they didnt have to be removed, it just took some time and patience.

I wouldnt mind turbos, but the mrs. is about at her limit for spending money on the car this month[&o]

Old 04-09-2007, 05:38 PM
2nd Gear

Well, after today, the disc brakes got pushed back til next month. There is a mustang restoration shop in Oklahoma City (hour drive). I had to go there to get the tranny rebuild kit. Well, the mrs. had to work so I went by myself, and I apparently have a lack of self control Almost $400 later I leave. And I still need to get the bands for the tranny cuz they dont come in the rebuild kit. So, everything is pushed back some.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:49 PM
5th Gear

what else did you pick up for the $400

Well, after today, the disc brakes got pushed back til next month. There is a mustang restoration shop in Oklahoma City (hour drive). I had to go there to get the tranny rebuild kit. Well, the mrs. had to work so I went by myself, and I apparently have a lack of self control Almost $400 later I leave. And I still need to get the bands for the tranny cuz they dont come in the rebuild kit. So, everything is pushed back some.

Quick Reply: Tranny rebuild