Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

tires....***new question***

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Lvl-65 Sorceress: 9,571-HP/7,796-EP
Default tires....***new question***

i know these questions come up all the time, but tires change, so that's why i'm asking.
i'm looking for an all season 235/40/18

i have michelin pilot sport now (expensive)and i'm ready for something different. i don't know where to look. should i go to local tire dealers or buy online and have them shipped somewhere? (thedealer will charge $120 to mount them)

i think my priority is long tread life and low noise.
i saw (goodyear, i think) eagle f1 all seasons for $179 each that seemed to have good reviews.
http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...mp;item=373796

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...;x=70&y=11

i guess these are my questions:
1. are the online reviews at the different websites a good indication of what is good?
2. are there specific websites that are good if i decide to buy online?
3. should i just go to a local tire store?
4. what should i expect to pay if i have tires shipped to a tire store for mounting/balancing?

Old 02-18-2008, 05:47 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: tired of looking at tires

I am going to get new tires in couple of months as I still have 40% tread left on them.

I will suggest you to look at Costco, as they have good collection, they are cheaper than most places, plus they will install for free and take your old tires back without charging you. Also, they had a $60 rebate going on, if you but a set of four... don't know if it still is in effect.

Yokohama AVID series are cheaper, but good tires. You can check the reviews on tirerack.com. However, local tire shops charge $15-18 per tire to install, so you might want to keep that cost in mind when ordering.

Also, whatever you buy, stay away from run-flat tires, as they make noise more than regular tires, and also, they CAN'T be repaired.

Because, Audis are expensive cars, I will only buy either a Pirelly or Michelin. I screwed up my Saab's suspension after I put the Firestone on them.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:05 PM
2nd Gear

find a local place that can either match or beat online stores.. which in turn is cheaper because of shipping and all that. GL

Old 02-18-2008, 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: vnv727

I avoid michelins as they tend to wear out quickly, overpriced, and don't grip that well after a few k miles
ive always thought that they last forever...i had them on my 2 last cars as factory tires and they lasted forever but sucked since new and yes, they are WAY overpriced.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 PM
4th Gear

I have the goodyear eagle f1 a/s. They match or even beat the overpriced michelins in dry traction, closest you're gonna get to summer tires I think. But the best part is the wet and light snow traction. Its way better than the pilot sports. The stiff kevlar and carbon fiber sidewalls really help in cornering and road feel. I did notice a minimal sacrifice in ride comfort but you're running 18s so you should already be use to that by now.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:35 PM

I used to work at a tire shop. Yokohama yk520. Stop looking.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 PM
2nd Gear

i have yoko avid on my other car, and they will be next for my a6.

they have a AA tracksion AA treadware, and are high milage and an all season.

so far i am very satisfied.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:28 AM

I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS and have been really happy with them. Even took them up to the snow in Tahoe.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:29 AM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: veloracer

I have a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS and have been really happy with them. Even took them up to the snow in Tahoe.
+1. Potenzas are great.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 AM
2nd Gear

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...ETStreetRadial

these look like they would fit

Quick Reply: tires....***new question***