Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tipping your waiter/waitress: I have an unusual problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 06:57 AM
1st Gear
Default Tipping your waiter/waitress: I have an unusual problem

Ok, so there was nothing in the fridge this morning, so I decide to eat at the resturant I work at. After all, I get a discount because I work there. So when it comes time to pay, I use my debit card and the first thing that pops up after confirming the price, is a little message asking me how much I want to tip. Now everyone else, woiuld probably enter an amount they felt comfortable with. Thing is, I recieve a small portion of the tips, and all the waitresses/waiters are paid more than I(entry level kitchen job=minimum wage), plus they get a bigger share of the tips. I decided to not tip, knowing that I wouldn't get less than a quarter of it back, and because I work there. In any other situation, it would be wierd giving co-workers money right? Maybe I'm ranting, but the awkwardness is there, atleast for me, everytime I eat there now.

Old 12-30-2005, 06:59 AM
Administrator
Default RE: Tipping your waiter/waitress: I have an unusual problem

No, you shouldnt tip..

Tipping is Gratuity for service... not reqiured by any means.. but it pisses me off that its expected. I guarantee you didnt get the exact same service as a customer did.. did you?

Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: plumbous

In any other situation, it would be wierd giving co-workers money right?
In most other situations, co-workers aren't providing a service to you like they wre in this case.

If anything, I would have tipped BETTER than I would have if they weren't my co-workers.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:52 PM
3rd Gear

I wouldn't have tipped them anything. You did the right thing. You work there! There is hardly service any more that is worthy of a tip anyway. Customer service in this country has gone to crap. I only tip if I have had exceptional service. If they want to get paid, they should treat you like the customer.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:26 PM
1st Gear

I wouldn't have tipped them anything either.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:48 PM
5th Gear

the whole concept of tipping is a joke these days...a 'tip' is SUPPOSED to be gratuity for a service that has been performed well. nowadays it's just an added fee, more of a sales tax than an actual tip. your boss pays you money to work. i pay you money to be a damn good waiter. if you aren't that great, you shouldn't get a tip. that being said...in your situation, i probably would've tipped them. that is, IF they gave you decent service. you shouldn't not tip just because you'd only get .25 back..you don't tip expecting to get it back, do you?

Old 12-30-2005, 04:00 PM
2nd Gear

Like it or not, without tips most people that work as bartenders, waiters...anything food service related...are not going to make enough to live on. The industry is set up that way, low wages, augmented by tips, wich is the custom here in the states. Other countries include a service fee in food bills. We don't do that here. So, tipping is here to stay. It is either that or higher prices, with a built in service charge. I think it is better to keep it the way it is, builds in incentive for good service.

If you get good service you should tip. If you get bad service you should let the manager know and/or not return, and don't tip.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:05 PM
4th Gear

In my book, your tip is a direct idication of the quality of the servise, and as for co workers. Well if its a good looking girl, I'll give her the fat tip on the end of my peeter.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:07 PM
3rd Gear

ORIGINAL: flyboy

In my book, your tip is a direct idication of the quality of the servise, and as for co workers. Well if its a good looking girl, I'll give her the fat tip on the end of my peeter.
LOL Now I look like a moron for laughing in my office by myself. LOL.

Old 12-30-2005, 07:17 PM
Administrator

i have gone a few times without tipping.. one time this girl was a total bitch, and i was there with a group of friends.. she was just pissing me off sayin stupid ****.. So i finally got pissed off and said "Wow, there goes your tip" and she says "I didnt expect much out of you anyways" So I didnt tip the bitch, and the people i was with looked at me like I was the evil one.

Here in WA state, they dont get paid under minimum wage, they get paid above it, plus tips so **** them.. If i dont get good service they dont get more money.

Quick Reply: Tipping your waiter/waitress: I have an unusual problem