Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Tints...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:57 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Tints...

yeah idk what factory tint is for audi but i know alot of companies use 20% in NJ on the rears...and i dont know that math but it will prob come out to be around 15-12% if you put 35% over that...and that will be pretty dark...i have 20% all around my car and with the black interior it looks really dark people ask me all the time how dark it is
and about the cops it was def some rare cop case...for a $54 ticket i dont think a cop would go out of his way...unless he was on some power trip

Old 05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear

Its $75 in IL and I've heard the razor blade story also. I didn't know audi gave factory tints on A4's! You sure they were on there from the previous owner???

Old 05-05-2008, 11:44 AM
2nd Gear

Sounds like a serious rookie story if it has any truth to it. In this state you get what is called a repair order, no fiines no points. You have 10 days to correct the problem and 30 days to mail the order back to the state police barracks. Should you not do so your registration will be suspended and eventually a tag pick up order will be placed on your vehicle. The only time you could justify towing the car would be if the windshield was also tinted. The only tint repair order I ever gave out was to a 16 year old kid who put 5 percent limo tint on his windshield. I could tell he did it himself because it was all bubbled up. As for how dark it looks, your interior may make it appear dark, but the tint meter will still read correctly. You can tell most shops to make sure they use a combo which results in a legal tint.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Heh, I read the subject wrong...didn't see the "n"...finger was too fast on the mouse

Old 05-07-2008, 06:07 PM
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Notahondaowner

Sounds like a serious rookie story if it has any truth to it. In this state you get what is called a repair order, no fiines no points. You have 10 days to correct the problem and 30 days to mail the order back to the state police barracks. Should you not do so your registration will be suspended and eventually a tag pick up order will be placed on your vehicle. The only time you could justify towing the car would be if the windshield was also tinted. The only tint repair order I ever gave out was to a 16 year old kid who put 5 percent limo tint on his windshield. I could tell he did it himself because it was all bubbled up. As for how dark it looks, your interior may make it appear dark, but the tint meter will still read correctly. You can tell most shops to make sure they use a combo which results in a legal tint.
Too bad you have to worry about everybody else on the road (and sidewalk...); otherwise, you could let Darwin's theory play out.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:25 PM
3rd Gear

I diddn't know Audi did factory tints on the A4 that's anything other then the clearish solar tint? Anyway, If it is not too much trouble, I would have the "factory" tint removed, otherwise, you should have no issue going over it.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:27 PM
3rd Gear

OK long post...

Theres so much confusion about tint. The % measures transmittance of light so a lower number is darker and if you layer it you multiply. So if you put 35% over 20% you get 7%. Just remove the old stuff though, no sense having multiple layers of plastic on your windows.

Regardless of weather or not an officer should or shouldn't give some one a razor blade it does happen. Certainly not all the time and not every officer, but it happens. Different departments have different policys and every situation is different. It is up to the officers discretion, i feel that tint can be dangerous, iv seen people who cant back up because its too dark.

The day I got my car I was driving it home from the dealership and a police officer walked out in front of my car and waved me off the road. The car had temp plates and i told him i just picked up. Well it turns out it is unlawful to sell a car with illegal tint, he tells me my tint is too dark and im just like uhhhh? He didnt use a meter (front windows in NH cant have anything) but i didnt get a ticket either.

Not that year but the year after (cant explain why they didnt grab me the first time) i failed inspection because of my tint and had to have it removed, after inspection this year im going to put it back on DARKER!

Old 05-08-2008, 05:28 AM
CLX
Zombie Defense Force

ORIGINAL: Notahondaowner

Sounds like a serious rookie story if it has any truth to it. In this state you get what is called a repair order, no fiines no points....
Here in MA, it's 2 points for tint...[&:]

Old 05-08-2008, 10:30 AM

I got 25% all around and it looks SEXY (except for the area with the rubber bumps)... The car is FINALLY registered (in PA) and I'm going for inspection. from what i've read PA inspection stations aren't responsible for non-mechanical issues so the tints shouldn't be a problem to pass the inspection. wish me luck

Old 05-10-2008, 12:19 AM

I PASSED!