Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

ticketed.... BIG TIME

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 12:52 AM
1st Gear
Default ticketed.... BIG TIME

my friend just got 5 citations. they go as follows:
wreckless driving 98 in a 55
unsafe lane change
unsafe passing
going too fast in lane
following too closely
does he have any chance? the 98 in a 55 is getting your license revoked in NY i think. (wrong?) is it worth trying to fight these? can he fight a few of them at least? nobody i talked too is familiar with how to go about this. he was directed to appear in court too. does he have to, or can he just plead guilty and send a fine. there was no fine amount on the ticket. anyone with ideas/expieriences?
obviously he shouldnt have been drivin like that, but we all do it sometimes, and he just got nailed for it.
any help is GREATLY appreciated

Old 11-09-2005, 12:59 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: ticketed.... BIG TIME

Highway/ Freeway or was he on a frontage road/ Arterial?

Old 11-09-2005, 01:06 AM
1st Gear

it was on an interstate highway. I-287 for anyone who lives in westchester or connecticut.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 AM
2nd Gear

It is pretty hard to fight Highway tickets because the designers keep up to date on the law. But he can beg for mercy.

If the DOT in Connecticut is pretty ghetto poor, and do not accurately maintain their speed limits, you can fight it that way. I am just not thinking that a DOT is gonna fall down on the job. Should've done it on surface streets, most cities don't maintain their speed limits and after 5 years the speed limit becomes null and void (non enforcable). You can check the last time an engineering traffic study was done on that stretch of highway (State money). Also freeways (US Gov. Money) are under different law and this rule does not apply so don't waste your time. Oooops, missed the interstate part, you're pretty well screwed there.

It would **** a judge off to try to fight it and not have a clue what you are doing too.

But, public record... You have to check that the posted speed limit is legitimate every __ years (usually 5) Law... and Public record, the last time it was checked. Each study costs ~500$ to complete so they tend not to do them early. You could loophole.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:12 AM
5th Gear

i'm gonna say freeway since there is lane changing involved...in cali they'll only revoke your license if you're going 2x over the speed limit, or anything above 100mph iirc...sounds like the cop did your buddy a favor giving him a ticket for 98. that's usually what it means when it's an obscure number like that, otherwise they'd just say 100mph.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:29 AM
2nd Gear

Oooo, What kind of car?

If it was a car incapable of doing that speed he could get out of it (even if the car could come close to 98).

If it was your car, once again, he is screwed (you are limited at 138). But if it is a car that is governed at say 90 (most newer american cars), and he can prove the governor is in place by say putting it back if the car is modded.

I fought one once on my diesel cause they called me at 90, but it was governed at 85.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:35 AM
4th Gear

Yeah,My advice is next time your friend drives like that(which i think we all do at certain times) is whenever he knows the cop is getting these charges on his is dont stop. I know if i would get caught doing a highspeed run(which is stupid) the last think i would be doing is pulling over. I would rather add evading onto the rap sheet then just kindly pull over and him take my license.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:39 AM
5th Gear

PARENTAL ADVISORY: BAD ADVISE BELOW! DO NOT FOLLOW!

in many situations, it's really not as difficult to bounce on cops as you might think it is.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:39 AM
4th Gear

ORIGINAL: audiboy1618

I would rather add evading onto the rap sheet then just kindly pull over and him take my license.
Not so bright and normally you are.

I'll tell you an odd one though. I have a few cop friends and one of them said that if he was about to get a DUI, his strat would be to crack the window when the cop walked up to his window and start chugging out of a bottle. Then you get an open container violation, but they can't prove when any booze got in your system. Go figure. Don't try that at home friends. Let someone else give it a try and tell you how it goes.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:41 AM
4th Gear

there's nothing you can do... you're buddy is f*cked
pay your **** and live with it

i hate these f*cking threads

Quick Reply: ticketed.... BIG TIME