Off Topic A place for you car junkies to boldly post off topic. Almost anything goes.

Think the USA can't build anything impressive anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Guru

^ Like your *****?

Old 11-21-2009, 01:12 PM
4th Gear

HAHA.. Glad you finally relized it was CGI.. I saw this years ago.. very cool stuff.

Old 11-21-2009, 01:27 PM
Senior Administrator

As far as the USofA building impressive things...

Cars that go from 0 - to - 300mph in under 6 seconds

Sports stadiums with EXTREMELY JUMBO-trons

War machines that can launch a projectile that weighs as much as a Golf 20+ miles away

The SR-71!!!

A SPACE STATION!!!

Add your list...

Old 11-22-2009, 09:52 PM
4th Gear

The space station is a cooperative international effort though; I'd say the more impressive 100% American contribution to that is the Space Shuttle, without which the ISS would never have been possible.

EDIT: BTW, I noticed the rumor/hoax about that thing being real claims that it was built at the University of Iowa... seriously? Anyone who believes that has obviously never been to Iowa City - if they had, they'd know that no one at U of I is sober enough to dream that up...

Last edited by MrFlippant; 11-22-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:11 PM
4th Gear

if they had, they'd know that no one at U of I is sober enough to dream that up..
Heh.. not being sober would have to be a requisite to thinking something like that up

Old 11-23-2009, 10:01 AM

The US makes artillery shells that have a GPS guidane system that allows for unconventional flight paths.

The SR-71 is impressive but that was built awhile ago. I heard that it would leak fuel on the runway because it was designed to account for expansion during flight due to the heat generated by friction. It also was the first plane with stealth properties.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
Yabbut, aren't quantums rilly, rilly small?
Quantum refers to the minimum unit of a certain property. For instance, electrical charge is composed of electrons and will be a integer multiple of the charge of the electron.

Quantum mechanics describes the nature of reality at the atomic level where the particle-wave duality is important. We do not experience these effects for macro sized objects becuase they are averaged over many atoms.

Quantum computers cannot perform tasks that a standard computers cannot but they can do certain tasks, such as searching an unsorted list and prime factorization, much faster. The world's security codes are based on prime factorization and quantum computers would be able to break much of the existing codes.

Quantum information provides a secure means of communicating because if the messages are intercepted, they will be changed and you will know that someone listened to your message.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:10 AM
Senior Administrator

Originally Posted by AutoUnionFan
Quantum refers to the minimum unit of a certain property. Yadda-yadda-yadda, yadda-yadda-yadda, yadda-yadda-yadda
In other words, I was right.

Old 11-24-2009, 01:31 AM
Administrator

The US made Jazz! A complicated man, almost next to Shaft and Bruce Lee combined.

He eats Chuck Norris for lunch and drinks Sylvester Stalone as protein shake.

Jazz is the REAL man.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Yes Jazz you were right. I wasnt implying you were wrong, I was expanding on the subject.

Quick Reply: Think the USA can't build anything impressive anymore?